Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Ben Gladwin, 22, Swindon Town: He came up through non-league, most recently having played for Marlow, and can play a range of positions including centre-half, wing-back and midfield. Uses his size well. Great feet and technically very confident.

Good find. This one scored a hattrick yesterday in the game Sherwood was at.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

I've picked a few things out I've found interesting from reading Tim Sherwood's column in The Independent.

It might give us an idea on what to expect maybe.

Andre Gray at Brentford is another one who could possibly make the step up to the top flight.

Now I'm concerned. I've seen a lot of Gray this year and I really can't see him playing any higher than the championship. To be honest, I think even the championship is a stretch.

Tim Sherwood at Rochdale vs Swindon.

CClF7zOUgAEEK3N.jpg

Answered in this thread as more relevent. We've been linked to a Swindon player today - with ex-Spurs links! Coincedence?

Huw Bonello

FOX SPORTS

April 14, 2015 10:16AM

2 COMMENTS

Premier League Goals of the Week: Rd 323:30

MASSIMO Luongo is a man in demand. Total Swindon Sport reports that four Barclays Premier League clubs - Aston Villa, Crystal Palace, West Ham United and QPR – are interested in signing the midfielder at the end of the season.

The Socceroos midfielder admitted he’ll likely be on the move from the third-tier sooner rather than later, telling SBS: “Obviously if I keep doing what I’m doing here, I probably know for myself I won’t be here next year”.

“I don’t think many people would like to hear that, but it’s probably fair to say that it’s time for me to move on.”

The links to Villa and QPR are understandable. Villains boss Tim Sherwood coached the 22-year-old through Tottenham Hotspur’s academy, and current Rangers boss, Chris Ramsey, was Sherwood’s assistant at Spurs during Luongo’s time there.

http://foxsports.com.au/football/socceroos/massimo-luongo-Premier League-the-premier-league-teams-that-want-aussie-socceroos-star-roo-radar/story-e6frf4l3-1227303001906

Luongo's a good player and judging by his displays for Aussies in the Asia cup, he'd be comfortable at prem level. As a cheapo signing to replace Cleverley I'd be fine witth that.

I think Sherwood actually started the whole Swindon process of them getting in half a team on loan from the premier league as he played with the Swindon owner at Norwich.

Edited by VillaChris

great more championship and inexperienced players in summer then

Unless we get taken over our transfer policy isn't going to change dramatically.

I actually like the principle of giving lower league players chances in the premier league. However the last few years has obviously shown we need to sign experienced premier league players aswell to complement them so people like Scott Sinclair full time and Neil Taylor are needed aswell.

England international and a media favourite, and spurs have no reason to sell other than to use the money to buy someone else we'd be looking at £15m easily, this is a world where berahino is meant to be a £20m player

As for QPR I'm not sure how the sanctions will impact their transfer policy, do they refuse to sell Austin because he will get them goals and pretty much their only hope of promotion, do they sell him cheap because they are desperate for cash or do they sell him higher because they need cash but not desperately

Another possibility at QPR is Matt Phillips - similar style player to Townsend but looked much more impressive against us recently and would be considerably cheaper.

IMO Philips was as good as Tom Ince at Blackpool but he took an age to do anything at QPR. He's been really good for them recently so he's someone I wouldn't have a problem with targeting.

I get the feeling Sherwood will attempt to sign as much pace as possible in the summer, bit like back to how we played under MON as that can unsettle a lot of teams in the prem and you can get a few easy wins that way like we saw against Sunderland.

• Like 1

Luongo's a good player and judging by his displays for Aussies in the Asia cup, he'd be comfortable at prem level. As a cheapo signing to replace Cleverley I'd be fine witth that.

Was he the one that won player of the tournament? I watched the final. He was impressive - played more on the left but covered ground and made good runs. I'm not sure what role he usually plays in but could perhaps do Cleverley's job, yeah.

Edited by Isa

There is nothing wrong with inexperienced players or lower league signings in principle. The reason the 'young and hungry project' failed - besides Lambert being an incompetant coach and manager - was that he bought too many players who simply weren't very good. They weren't very good then, they aren't very good now and they still won't be very good when they are hitting thirty. In theory it was a viable policy though, one which I'd like to see us retry.

• Like 1

Aston Villa's Ashley Westwood set for Wembley snub and summer axe under unimpressed Tim Sherwood

Ashley Westwood faces FA Cup semi-final heartache and a shock summer exit from Aston Villa.

Midfielder Westwood was one of the mainstays of former manager Paul Lambert’s Villans as he anchored the team’s engine room and has made 95 appearances since joining from Crewe for £2million in August 2012.

But MirrorSport understands Lambert's successor, Tim Sherwood, believes the 25-year-old is not creative enough.

Westwood is struggling to get back into the side for Sunday’s clash with Liverpool at Wembley, despite Carlos Sanchez being suspended. He is also under threat of being offloaded this summer as Sherwood seeks to shake up a squad he inherited two months ago.

In almost three seasons at Villa, Westwood has scored only three goals - and term he has failed to find the net at all, and also managed just one assist.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villas-ashley-westwood-set-5525523

I think there are young players who could do a job for us in the league(s) below us but the best of these will not come cheap and we have not been able to afford the likes of Hughes at Derby or those mentioned already on earlier pages up until now.

You get what you pay for mostly so if you pay say £5m - £8m you can expect them to be better than those you pick up for £2m or less in most cases.   

Unless we get taken over our transfer policy isn't going to change dramatically.

I actually like the principle of giving lower league players chances in the premier league. However the last few years has obviously shown we need to sign experienced premier league players aswell to complement them so people like Scott Sinclair full time and Neil Taylor are needed aswell.

You must forgive me my friend as I just think of the bennetts, lowtons etc westwood only one thats worked out

I get impression by what tims said regardless what budget being i think he will look at younger players

I don't mind Westwood actually but I'd hardly lose sleep if he leaves as he's probably reached his ceiling at prem level at this moment.

Looking like midfield will have the most work done to it this summer and not before time as we simply have too many average and uncreative players in there although Sherwood's done his best to at least get them playing on the front foot.

Keepers we're fine, central defence I imagine it will be just Vlaar being replace and the other four being kept and upfront depends on Benteke but if he stays you could well be looking at him, Kozak, Gabby, Sinclair full time as options plus a new signing (I think Weimann will leave if we get a 4-5m offer).

Midfield will have 3-4 signings I reckon.

You must forgive me my friend as I just think of the bennetts, lowtons etc westwood only one thats worked out

I get impression by what tims said regardless what budget being i think he will look at younger players

I don't think the coaching has helped a few of them tbh.

It's o.k saying Ryan Cresswell had West Ham cost a few million more than Joe Bennett so clearly he's better but given we've had quite a few left backs and they all looked rubbish under Lambert...well it can't be a co-incidence.

Cresswell's had an excellent season at West Ham, is being linked with Chelsea now and I can only conclude the coaching he had from Big Sam and McDonald is much better than he would've had here as Joe Bennett still looked incapable of dealing with one on one battles 18 months after he joined.

But anyway Cresswell is an example of making a decent lower league signing amongst a host of experienced signings like Alex Song so the team is balanced and they can slot in.

There is nothing wrong with inexperienced players or lower league signings in principle. The reason the 'young and hungry project' failed - besides Lambert being an incompetant coach and manager - was that he bought too many players who simply weren't very good. They weren't very good then, they aren't very good now and they still won't be very good when they are hitting thirty. In theory it was a viable policy though, one which I'd like to see us retry.

I'd have a dig at lerner here to be honest. This approach falls on it's arse if you are shopping for your third and fourth choices. I'm pretty sure lamberts first choices were Clyne and Cresswell for RB and LB. Who are now hot property.

I've no idea who Sherwood might be interested in. I don't even care. He can sell every single one of our players and I wouldn't mind, not really too fond of any of the current crop. Just hope he'll be able to assemble a squad that'll be better and on the up, so I could enjoy watching games again. 

Westwood > Joe Cole

different players and im sure I would rather have Cole on the pitch vs Spurs in the last minute than Westwood since he knew very well how to eat up time

• Like 2