Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

I've no idea who Sherwood might be interested in. I don't even care. He can sell every single one of our players and I wouldn't mind, not really too fond of any of the current crop. Just hope he'll be able to assemble a squad that'll be better and on the up, so I could enjoy watching games again. 

I'm enjoying watching our games lately with the current squad tbh

My best mate (a Spurs fan, for his sins) tipped us to be in for Luongo as soon as Sherwood took the job with us. Apparently he was highly rated by Spurs fans, and has improved at Swindon. Might be worth a punt, to be honest as someone we could phase in over the next season.

Think we'll get rid of Westwood, Sanchez, Herd and Sylla in the summer. No idea what'll happen with Cleverley, although I'd sign him on a free given his current form. We'd probably need to make 3 signings to bolster the central/defensive midfield area - which is where we've been losing battles during games.

I don't see the need to get rid of Westwood or Sanchez. Both are of a reasonable standard to stay around the squad, different types of players, good pros and not expensive in terms of wages. We need better quality individuals but they should be added on top of what we have. I suspect we will sign Sinclair for £2.5m and Cleverley on a free, which is a decent start. No idea who else Sherwood will be targeting.

Hasn't Sherwood come out and praised Sanchez? It might well still be the case but I actually think Sherwood rates him.

Yes, if nothing else, he is one of the few characters in the squad going by Sherwood's comments.

I agree. There are a number of players that I'd rather see sold, before Westwood:

Tonev, Luna, Herd, N'Zogbia, Sylla, Stevens, Richardson & Weimann.

Westwood hasn't been incredible in the past two seasons, but he does a job and is a decent squad option to have as he rarely lets us down. One of those consistent 6/10 players.

• Like 1

A minor consideration I know but Luongo would be a bit of a marketing coup. Not only would the club's profile rise in Australia but also Indonesia which is a hugely untapped market. Luongo's mother is Indonesian and although he has never been there he is one of the most popular sportsmen in that country. If he moved to a Premier league club that popularity would explode IMO.

Of course all the shirt sales would be knock-offs ...

• Like 2

Westwood > Joe Cole

Gabby > Luna

Don't think thats fair, I don't see why Ashley couldn't play in the position Joe did versus Spurs, he was basically just trying to keep the ball and run down the clock. You're making a statement saying they are 2 completely different players, both are midfielders. Cole has 7 goals & 2 assists in his last 42 Premier League games or 3 seasons. In Westwood's last 2 seasons he has 3 goals 3 assists in 52 games, he'd 7 assists the year prior to that, factor in he's playing about 15-20 yards if not more behind where Joe Cole is and spends approximately half (being generous to JC) the time in the treatment room, I feel if we are to get rid of anyone it should be Joe. I think Westwood can learn and absolute bundle playing under Sherwood & Petrov. He's by no means perfect but I don't think my statement was a ludicrous as some of ye are making it out to be.

Don't think thats fair, I don't see why Ashley couldn't play in the position Joe did versus Spurs, he was basically just trying to keep the ball and run down the clock. You're making a statement saying they are 2 completely different players, both are midfielders. Cole has 7 goals & 2 assists in his last 42 Premier League games or 3 seasons. In Westwood's last 2 seasons he has 3 goals 3 assists in 52 games, he'd 7 assists the year prior to that, factor in he's playing about 15-20 yards if not more behind where Joe Cole is and spends approximately half (being generous to JC) the time in the treatment room, I feel if we are to get rid of anyone it should be Joe. I think Westwood can learn and absolute bundle playing under Sherwood & Petrov. He's by no means perfect but I don't think my statement was a ludicrous as some of ye are making it out to be.

I was half-joking with that ;)

I just mean that they are totally different midfielders so Westwood won't be leaving (if true) at the expense of Cole.

• Like 1

Westwood > Joe Cole

Gabby > Luna

do you honestly think Westwood would have ran down the clock on Saturday. I have never in his time here saw him trying to waste time in the rare times we were winning

• Like 1

You're comparing a true attacking mid/winger to a more defensive minded mid. That is like comparing Hazard to Matic essentially. They have completely different roles. 

Really? Joe Cole for me has always been the rich mans Lee Hendrie not a winger at least in the pacey Robben mould, not an AMC in the Riqueleme mould. Joe Cole's never had 7 assists in the League in all his career yet Westwood had, albeit 2 seasons ago but he was playing in a pretty brutal team, he got deeper and deeper every season under Lambert who saw us concede a ridiculous amount of goals in his first year (69 year 1, 61 year 2, 45 at the moment). Westwood isn't a defensive midfielder, he's 5 foot 9, Matic is 6 foot 4. I think Westwood is the poor mans Carrick, but I think he is definitely an asset, I don't doubt for a second he could sit behind a front 2 picking passes he just hasn't got the chance. When you think of him you don't think of the flashiness associated with a Grealish or Cole but the man can definitely pick a pass.

You're comparing a true attacking mid/winger to a more defensive minded mid. That is like comparing Hazard to Matic essentially. They have completely different roles. 

Really? Joe Cole for me has always been the rich mans Lee Hendrie not a winger at least in the pacey Robben mould, not an AMC in the Riqueleme mould. Joe Cole's never had 7 assists in the League in all his career yet Westwood had, albeit 2 seasons ago but he was playing in a pretty brutal team, he got deeper and deeper every season under Lambert who saw us concede a ridiculous amount of goals in his first year (69 year 1, 61 year 2, 45 at the moment). Westwood isn't a defensive midfielder, he's 5 foot 9, Matic is 6 foot 4. I think Westwood is the poor mans Carrick, but I think he is definitely an asset, I don't doubt for a second he could sit behind a front 2 picking passes he just hasn't got the chance. When you think of him you don't think of the flashiness associated with a Grealish or Cole but the man can definitely pick a pass.

maybe im misinterpreting this but you are suggesting that Joe Cole of nearly 50 England caps, 10 years at Chelsea and 3 league titles and many other trophies has never been as good as Westwood