Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Townsend hasn't been good at all for the majority of his time at Spurs. Southampton were interested last summer, were quoted £12m and wisely looked elsewhere - ending up with Mané on deadline day.

How much of a chance has he had though in terms of a run in the side. I watched a lot of QPR when he was on loan there, and he was excellent and looked exactly the type of player that would thrive in a Tim Sherwood team. I doubt we'll be in for him though, especially if we sign Sinclair.

I'd look at Mings, Bamford or Austin.

I'd certainly take a serious look at Austin if we lost Benteke. He's a good footballer who also scores lots of goals and I wonder if he's still a bit under the radar. Not quite fashionable enough a name for the bigger clubs.

Mind you, he's better than Rickie Lambert so maybe that's not the case.

Basically, he will probably end up somewhere like Swansea and score lots of goals again.

I'd love to see him next to Benteke if I'm honest. I see what he can do next to Zamora so just imagine what him and Benteke in the same attacking line would be able to muster up! Same goes with Bamford, I like the lad's arrogance (and movement obviously).

If QPR get relegated then I think we would be in with a shout depending on who is owning us this summer; Austn has also failed a medical in the past so I'd use that as a bargaining chip.

Luongo is a bit like delph but with goals. He's box to box works very hard and just has a knack of getting into goal scoring positions. However just like Delph he's banging them in lower divisions.. Can he step up? I think he can. Sign him up.

• Like 1

England international and a media favourite, and spurs have no reason to sell other than to use the money to buy someone else we'd be looking at £15m easily, this is a world where berahino is meant to be a £20m player

As for QPR I'm not sure how the sanctions will impact their transfer policy, do they refuse to sell Austin because he will get them goals and pretty much their only hope of promotion, do they sell him cheap because they are desperate for cash or do they sell him higher because they need cash but not desperately

Another possibility at QPR is Matt Phillips - similar style player to Townsend but looked much more impressive against us recently and would be considerably cheaper.

I think against us Richardson just made him look good. I know he got the goal and assists, but there were also a lot of misplaced passes and wasted opportunities. I haven't seen enough of him in other games to judge really, but wouldn't want to sign him on the basis of his performance against probably the worst performance I've ever seen in a football match. 

If Sherwood is in charge of the signings I expect he'll sign a load of overpriced English based tat, MON style. I know he doesn't have any track record making signings but he just seems like that type of manager who won't look abroad and will instead pay over the odds for English players and players with a poor attitude that he thinks he can get the best out of.

It's as valid an opinion as any other I suppose. He does hate foreigners, like Benteke, Vlaar, Grealish and Bacuna.

When did he sign those players?

Like I said it's just speculation but he seems like the type of manager that would sign players like Joey Barton or players who are hard workers but don't have any skill. Hopefully it won't be the case.  

Edited by villa89

If Sherwood is in charge of the signings I expect he'll sign a load of overpriced English based tat, MON style. I know he doesn't have any track record making signings but he just seems like that type of manager who won't look abroad and will instead pay over the odds for English players and players with a poor attitude that he thinks he can get the best out of.

It's as valid an opinion as any other I suppose. He does hate foreigners, like Benteke, Vlaar, Grealish and Bacuna.

When did he sign those players?

Like I said it's just speculation but he seems like the type of manager that would sign players like Joey Barton or players who are hard workers but don't have any skill. Hopefully it won't be the case.

And I'm just saying you've no basis for that opinion that I can see. Maybe you could explain? He seems to like players with "skill" from what I can tell. N'Zogbia had a good run in the side, Jacky boy is starting now. Sinclair received lots of praise. Bacuna has been a regular after being frozen out previously and he's the very definition of hit and miss. I genuinely don't understand where you are getting this from.

He might sign those kind of players yes, but he also might have a fetish for 5 foot tall Romanian second division players.

And I'm just saying you've no basis for that opinion that I can see.

True, it's just my guess at the moment. Nobody knows what type of player's he'll sign so this whole speculation thread is just that. Speculation.

England international and a media favourite, and spurs have no reason to sell other than to use the money to buy someone else we'd be looking at £15m easily, this is a world where berahino is meant to be a £20m player

As for QPR I'm not sure how the sanctions will impact their transfer policy, do they refuse to sell Austin because he will get them goals and pretty much their only hope of promotion, do they sell him cheap because they are desperate for cash or do they sell him higher because they need cash but not desperately

Another possibility at QPR is Matt Phillips - similar style player to Townsend but looked much more impressive against us recently and would be considerably cheaper.

I have never been a massive fan of Matt Phillips... He is this season's Jason Puncheon or Callum McManaman who have a decent last 6/7 games then will go back to playing like they normally do next season. Which will be not doing very much at all..

Edited by Villan4Life

I rated Phillips at Blackpool when he was a youngster - reminded me of Ashley Young. He's changed a lot as a player though, become a hell of a lot more physical - he's built like a brick shithouse now. I still like the look of him though - the kind of athlete that would fit into our system and he's better on the ball than Gabby or Andi. 

How much of a chance has he had though in terms of a run in the side. I watched a lot of QPR when he was on loan there, and he was excellent and looked exactly the type of player that would thrive in a Tim Sherwood team. I doubt we'll be in for him though, especially if we sign Sinclair.

He's made more than 20 starts in all competitions this season and had a similar amount last season I believe. He had an injury at some stage didn't he?

I liked him at QPR also but ultimately he has proven not to have the attributes to hold consistancy over a longer period. Poor delivery/final-ball and intelligence. Doesn't offset it with a regular goal-threat either. An average player all-in-all.

Odion Ighalo of Watford could be worth looking at! 25 and knows where the back of the net is!

The kid has so serious dribbling skills as well and is pacy..

Who on earth names their child after a flaming cinema chain?

Second thoughts, I don't even wanna know where he was conceived thanks...

According to wiki, the Watford fans sing his surname to the tune of Gold by Spandau Ballet - awesome!

Apparently he's basically 1 in 1 this season? Blimey. 

• Like 1

And I'm just saying you've no basis for that opinion that I can see.

True, it's just my guess at the moment. Nobody knows what type of player's he'll sign so this whole speculation thread is just that. Speculation.

Fair enough. It just came across like a weird little random dig. Agree to disagree.

I've picked a few things out I've found interesting from reading Tim Sherwood's column in The Independent.

It might give us an idea on what to expect maybe.

Looking to spend? There’s value in the Championship

I could save those Premier League clubs who are desperate for new players in this transfer window a lot of trouble, and a lot of expense on air fares for their scouts.

There are plenty of good players in the Championship, and they are players who will not have to spend a few months acclimatising to the demands of English football. For any team in fear of relegation, they need players who will make an impact straight away.

I have mentioned Ipswich Town’s Teddy Bishop in this column before and it looks like Arsenal are interested in him and his team-mate Tyrone Mings.

Why could Callum Wilson at Bournemouth not have the same impact that Danny Ings and Charlie Austin had in their first Premier League seasons? Andre Gray at Brentford is another one who could possibly make the step up to the top flight. There are plenty others besides, many of whom I have recommended to managers who I have bumped into on my travels around the grounds.

Too many scouts and managers are too quick to turn the page as they go through their scouting reports on players in the Championship. I still remember the different managers who told me that they could not pick the young Spurs striker I had sent them on loan. They just did not think he was good enough. The boy in question was Harry Kane.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/tim-sherwood-pochettino-is-being-rewarded-for-faith-in-spurs-homegrown-talent-9969501.html

Rising stars to watch out for in the year ahead

These are my three names to look out for in 2015, having watched all of them this season. They are young lads who will require development and my one hope for them all is that, if they do decide to move, they go to clubs where they will play rather than sit on the bench.

Let’s hope their agents don’t push them for the biggest wages straight away. They need to play, and once they build a career the money will follow.

Ben Gladwin, 22, Swindon Town: He came up through non-league, most recently having played for Marlow, and can play a range of positions including centre-half, wing-back and midfield. Uses his size well. Great feet and technically very confident.

Demarai Gray, 18, Birmingham City: He has attracted a lot of interest from Premier League clubs, especially after his hat-trick against Reading last Saturday. I hope if he leaves he joins one that will give him first-team opportunities.

Teddy Bishop, 18, Ipswich Town:  A very good midfielder who, like Gray, has probably not stopped growing yet. There is great potential there if his development is planned out properly.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/tim-sherwood-column-boxing-day-reminds-me-of-the-dreadful-end-to-my-playing-career-9937171.html

we really need not to pigeonhole our recruitment drive. We should try mix young and hungry with experience with the odd wise head that could benefit the team plus open our options to not just lower leagues but across Europe

though I dont think last 3 years we have not done too bad on recruitment with Benteke, Vlaar, Okore, Bacuna, Westwood, Lowton all adding to the club amongst others, thoug hwe did have the odd Luna, Sylla failure

Edited by Zatman