Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

This tidbit about Luongo:

One player who has no shortage of offers is Massimo Luongo, with the UK’s Telegraph reporting that the midfielder is now the subject of a $7m bid from Aston Villa in a deal including his teammate Ben Gladwin.

Swindon Town are prepared to lose the 22-year-old, particularly now that they’re still in League One after losing the play-off final, but value him at $10m on his own.

His former boss from Tottenham, Tim Sherwood, has made no secret he is keen on him at Villa Park, but it appears there may be a bit of haggling to be done in the meantime, with QPR, West Brom and Wolverhampton, Crystal Palace and West Ham all also been linked.

The local paper, the Wiltshire Gazette and Herald, reports that the package deal Villa are looking at could have something to do with Swindon Town trying to get more out of the deal, because Tottenham retain a 50 per cent sell-on clause for Luongo. Adding his flatmate to the deal could help the League One outfit reduce the amount heading to White Hart Lane.

That didn't take you long. Getting quicker. What we moaning about then? Because it seems he doesn't want losers at the club, so what's wrong with that?

Nobody is moaning that Sherwood wants people with the right attitude at the club. That's what you just said.

People are surprised more than anything that he called players who are currently playing for him "losers".

That's astonishing to me.

I haven't moaned about it. It might be a catalyst that causes us to kick on and win the FA cup.

But I still think its an astonishing thing to say.

Better than telling them they're great players and keep doing what they're doing

The local paper, the Wiltshire Gazette and Herald, reports that the package deal Villa are looking at could have something to do with Swindon Town trying to get more out of the deal, because Tottenham retain a 50 per cent sell-on clause for Luongo. Adding his flatmate to the deal could help the League One outfit reduce the amount heading to White Hart Lane.

I saw that suggested by Swindon fans yesterday. Porto did the same thing when they sold Moutinho and 'Hames' to Monaco apparently. Moutinho had a significant sell-on clause so pretty much the entirety of the fee for both went towards Rodriguez and he officially transferred for something like €2.5m. It's a clever loophole and it would be amusing to see Levy be screwed in a deal for once.

• Like 2

That didn't take you long. Getting quicker. What we moaning about then? Because it seems he doesn't want losers at the club, so what's wrong with that?

Nobody is moaning that Sherwood wants people with the right attitude at the club. That's what you just said.

People are surprised more than anything that he called players who are currently playing for him "losers".

I haven't moaned about it. It might be a catalyst that causes us to kick on and win the FA cup.

Better than telling them they're great players and keep doing what they're doing

Is it?

When we've actually been playing well under Sherwood and have an FA Cup final coming up?

Like I said you might be right, it might be the catalyst that motivates us to go and win the cup. But it's a pretty startling way to do it.

Edited by Stevo985

That was the point I was originally trying to make, along with pointing out that questioning players' mental attitudes is a terrible negotiating tactic. It has the potential to make bidders question their interest, or to reduce their value when negotiating. 

It isnt phrased in the best way but he's a bleeding cockney geezer so what do you expect.

In essence he is saying that some modern players dont care enough about winning, some of our current squad might fall into that category.

He wants to make sure anyone we buy is a blood, sweat and tears type character.

It isnt the most ground breaking stuff but because he has used a couple of words not normally used by robomanager cassette tape number 1 everyone is having VT kittens.

I'll put it down to pre Cup Final nerves.

http://talksport.com/football/aston-villa-target-nearing-premier-league-switch-admits-swindon-chairman-150526148201?

"Something could happen this week," Power said. "We have three substantial offers in from Premier League clubs and we need to sit down with Massimo and his advisors and decide what to do.

"The numbers being mentioned are around £3 million, which is good money for us and we'll be pleased with that.

"Mass has come from nowhere to become one of the key men in the Australian team and he will be a fantastic asset for someone.

"One day he will play in the Premier League – and it might be as early as next week. We are not going to stand in the boy's way.''

The Swindon chairman said this so it looks like £3m for Luongo.

It's gonna be a long summer if we're really willing to believe the kind of shite in that article.

this will be a summer long jump to conclusions thread by the sounds of it

It's always a long summer on VT. After the FA Cup final, I'm out of here. This place bonkers when the kids the out of school and start posting shit from twitter every day, and when there are no matches to complain about all that energy is directed into bizarre hypotheticals like what if MON didn't leave or what if Randy had sold the club to Dennis Rodman.

No thanks.

• Like 2