Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

People talk of big change being needed to ensure we are not in yet another relegation battle but I really don't think signing two midfielders from Swindon Town are the answer. And hold in mind that if we sign these two it's unlikely we'll be making moves for any other midfielders. We need to be improving on what we've already got if we're to progess, not signing reserves.

If we manage to sign Cleverly, our midfield won't need much work. Neither player would be expected to contribute immediately.

Very very clear that none of Weimann, Guzan, Cissokho or Gil will be here in August. Sherwood has helpfully called them some of them 'losers' in the media, just to lower their valuations a little more. 

Where did he say that?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/23/aston-villa-tim-sherwood-fa-cup-final-arsenal-football

“Players are different now. They’ve changed. We didn’t have to open a door, we took it off the hinges because we were head-butting walls: ‘Come on, get in there’. But there’s been an influx of foreign players and the type of player now is different. That doesn’t mean they don’t want to win any less. They still care, but I want them to care more than anything in the world to win because there are far too many losers in the game.”

Any players falling into that category at Villa Park will be told to pack their bags during a summer when Sherwood is looking to put his stamp on the squad. He has already given Randy Lerner, the Villa owner, a list of his targets. “We have to move out the losers,” Sherwood says. “Not to be disrespectful – I’m not saying that everyone who leaves here is a loser – but the ones we bring in have to be ones who want to achieve and move upwards. This cannot become a graveyard for footballers who want a last pay day. This has to be the birthplace of the new generation, and that’s what I’m trying to achieve here.”

That's astonishing.

No wonder the players didn't look up for it vs Burnley

But there’s been an influx of foreign players and the type of player now is different. That doesn’t mean they don’t want to win any less. They still care, but I want them to care more than anything in the world to win because there are far too many losers in the game.”

This comment is very concerning moving forward. He can't be saying things like that openly in the press. No matter what his views.

I dont have that much of a problem with the comments. For me he is talking about the likes of QPR who have bought a number of talented foreign players in the last few years. But they really dont care enough about the club or the results. They will get a move again if need be.

All I think he is saying is that he doesnt just want talented players at this club but players with the talent and motivation to be successful, they can come from any nationality.

Not an easy thing but I dont have a problem with the comments.

His comments are spot on. Im sure some people questioning it said similar things when Lambert was shipping out Bent. He is right we have been a graveyard for so long Heskey, Beye, Given, Bent even Agbonlahor have took up valuable wages we could have used for better resources

• Like 1

why bring up foreign players at all? why insinuate that there is a correlation between being foreign and being a 'loser'?

foolish comments.

Yeah, this was a bit daft.

I like that he's honest in the media, but he needs to shut up a bit.

well he just said the game was different than when he played because their is more foreign players

it seems some people didnt read the start of his quote on it ;)

• Like 1

Interesting that Luongo has a 50% sell on fee back to spurs. Which could be why we're signing Gladwin too. Swindon value Luongo at 5 mil which they would only get 2.5mil for him. If we buy Luongo and Gladwin as a package, the deal could be we're paying 3.4mil for Gladwin and 100k for Luongo.

Very very clear that none of Weimann, Guzan, Cissokho or Gil will be here in August. Sherwood has helpfully called them some of them 'losers' in the media, just to lower their valuations a little more. 

Where did he say that?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/23/aston-villa-tim-sherwood-fa-cup-final-arsenal-football

“Players are different now. They’ve changed. We didn’t have to open a door, we took it off the hinges because we were head-butting walls: ‘Come on, get in there’. But there’s been an influx of foreign players and the type of player now is different. That doesn’t mean they don’t want to win any less. They still care, but I want them to care more than anything in the world to win because there are far too many losers in the game.”

Any players falling into that category at Villa Park will be told to pack their bags during a summer when Sherwood is looking to put his stamp on the squad. He has already given Randy Lerner, the Villa owner, a list of his targets. “We have to move out the losers,” Sherwood says. “Not to be disrespectful – I’m not saying that everyone who leaves here is a loser – but the ones we bring in have to be ones who want to achieve and move upwards. This cannot become a graveyard for footballers who want a last pay day. This has to be the birthplace of the new generation, and that’s what I’m trying to achieve here.”

That's astonishing.

No wonder the players didn't look up for it vs Burnley

What an idot.  This is why i didn’t want him near us in the first place.  Ask yourself this, what does he hope to gain by making these comments public in the media, baffles me?  One thing saying it inhouse but another going shouting his mouth off to alienate players in the media for no apparent reason that i can see.  Very destructive to say the least.

I think his comments were brutally honest, and right.Hopefully we no longer sign the Dunnes, Givens, Beyes of this world, and more of the Ashley Youngs and Delphs.

I think useless has a point though, if we sign these 2 from Swindon, then you can't see us signing another midfielder in the summer, not sure thats the kind of level we should be looking.

• Like 1

Interesting that Luongo has a 50% sell on fee back to spurs. Which could be why we're signing Gladwin too. Swindon value Luongo at 5 mil which they would only get 2.5mil for him. If we buy Luongo and Gladwin as a package, the deal could be we're paying 3.4mil for Gladwin and 100k for Luongo.

anything to piss off Spurs :)

• Like 1

I think his comments were brutally honest, and right.Hopefully we no longer sign the Dunnes, Givens, Beyes of this world, and more of the Ashley Youngs and Delphs.

I think useless has a point though, if we sign these 2 from Swindon, then you can't see us signing another midfielder in the summer, not sure thats the kind of level we should be looking.

Brutally honest? why mention foreign players at all. At the end of the day, he's made 2 points in the same sentence.

1) There are more foreign players in the game

2) There are more losers

Even if he didn't imply that there are more losers because of the foreign players, you can see why people would think he did. 

As prevously stated, I like the honesty, but he really needs to learn when to shut up.

Guys, let's call a spade a spade.  He's never going to shut up.  He will continue to be 'brutally honest' and we're going to hear plenty that makes us cringe.  As long as he can be self-deprecating about it and keep getting us results then he'll be a motor-mouth but at least he'll be our (hopefully entertaining) motor-mouth.

• Like 1

Brutally honest? why mention foreign players at all. At the end of the day, he's made 2 points in the same sentence.

1) There are more foreign players in the game

2) There are more losers

Even if he didn't imply that there are more losers because of the foreign players, you can see why people would think he did. 

As prevously stated, I like the honesty, but he really needs to learn when to shut up.

no he didnt