Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Read that Stoke are close to signing Yevhen Konoplyanka on a bosman free on £50k a week.

Why we are never in for these type of players on bosman's i will never know. He is quality

Was thinking the exact same thing myself when i heard this.

Stoke have built an impressive squad for very little money if you look at it. As discussed elsewhere Mark Hughes has had a strange managerial career in terms of squad building at various clubs.

A few Ukrainians have flopped in England though, Rebrov, Shevchenko and Voronin all did anyway.

It's all over twitter that the two Swindon midfielders we've been linked with, are set to sign for QPR now.

Good, we don't need those types of players.  We need to spend big on 3 or 4 quality players and we need more leaders on the pitch, anything less and we will be in a relegation scrap again.  I have little faith in the club at this moment in time to get it right and am expecting the worst but hopefully us not signing two league 1 players is a sign of us aiming higher than that. 

• Like 4

of course we want proven quality but we also shouldnt be short sighted and sell out our future either by just signing for instant success. Transfer policy needs to reflect both

• Like 2

So Westwood is the best thing since sliced bread but no other lower-player should ever have the opportunity to play for us again. Good one guys.

• Like 1

So what? It took years for Delph to come good. I could point out plenty of flops signed from the lower leagues. We need proven quality at premier league level otherwise we are gonna struggle, every signing is a gamble but more so when trying to step up from lower leagues. We can't afford to take big gambles on players anymore and need to fill our squad up with reliable players. We have pushed our luck enough at this stage and we don't need to be signing young unproven players to go along with our young unproven manager.

nobody has said we should just sign players from lower leagues. Just saying that just because they dont play in glamorous leagues like La Liga or Premier League experience that they are shit

We have enough young players as it is, we need experienced quality. Not free signings like last year who are the bottom of the pile. Ye I wouldn't have much of an issue with luongo coming in as he seems to be highly thought of and proved to be a top player in the Asian cup but only if it was along side some proven players at this level.

• Like 1

We need players to improve the team whether they be foreign or domestic or if they have premier league experience or not. In the last 2 summers we've had bits off everything yet the team never got better. We need to always strive to make the team better and not just adding bodies to the squad. What we seem tO have done is buy players to supplement the squad instead of improving the team. Doing that normally means buying bigger and better which are normally more expensive but ultimately as long as they can improve the team that's all,that matters.

I think an attacking mid is needed. Delph and Cleverly are two good box to box mids but neither really racks up the assists or goals. A true attacking mid is needed. What happened to Canales, is he still an option? He is young and likes to attack. 

I actually just remembered we have Gil who plays that role. 

Ah had my years mixed up then. He did have a decent record in Ukraine though. 

That's not saying much - there are about 4 good teams in the division (Dynamo, Shakhtar, Dnipro and Metalist Kharkiv), the rest are really poor.

I think Curtis Davies would be a good option to have a backup even though I know we have a good amount of CB's but I think it would be smart to get another. Maybe Steven Caulker would be a good option there instead?

Kieran Trippier I think is a natural choice to fix our right side. 

• Like 1

We have enough young players as it is, we need experienced quality. Not free signings like last year who are the bottom of the pile. Ye I wouldn't have much of an issue with luongo coming in as he seems to be highly thought of and proved to be a top player in the Asian cup but only if it was along side some proven players at this level.

Yeah, this is the point really - Westwood was a gamble that paid off but we shouldn't be looking to gamble at all this time.

I think Curtis Davies would be a good option to have a backup even though I know we have a good amount of CB's but I think it would be smart to get another. Maybe Steven Caulker would be a good option there instead?

Kieran Trippier I think is a natural choice to fix our right side. 

Davies couldn't get anywhere near the Hull team for the second half of the season, even though they play with 3 CBs. He's past it.

Trippier would be a really good signing but looks like he's off to Spurs. Even though they have Walker and Yedlin.