Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

It's no good strengthing the rest of the team if you aren't going to sign someone to finish of the chances they create, a complete and utter waste of time.

Spot on i can see us squandering chance after chance and then timmy saying we just need someone to put it in the net. Well tim you had plenty of time.

we've officially signed a whole new XI now:

Bunn

Crespo-Richards-Lescott-Amavi

Traore-Gueye-Veretout-Sinclair

Ayew-Gestede

not sure we've ever done that within one summer before?

Certainly interesting but the question is - is it a good change? I'll try to bite my tongue on the whole net spend thing for now so let's just do a quick comparison with that team above vs who we have sold/replaced/released/loaned

Given

Lowton Vlaar Baker Luna

Delph Cleverley Herd Sylla

Benteke Weimann

Subs: Bent Helenius Tonev Stevens Burke

Now, if those two teams faced each other who do you think would win?

My opinion - the released team. Even if you argue it'd be close or narrow either way, we finished 17th last season. We needed more investment this summer and this wasn't good enough and was just a 'clever' way of disguising the fact we've stood still, at best. Does anyone really think the new XI would beat the released XI?!

• Like 2

Tiago Illori signed!!!!

Sky sources understand Liverpool have reached agreement with Aston Villa for the season-long loan of Tiago Illori.

The Premier League deal sheet has been submitted, and they have until 8pm to complete the paperwork.

This makes zero sense. Ship Baker out on loan, sign a veteran defender, and then get another team's young centerback? We have Okore, Clark, Senderos, Richards, Lescott, and even Crespo now. Why would we need 7 center backs? Oh and I forgot Sanchez can play there too. 

Well not a bad window, disappointed we never got that striker, before anyone says the 2 we bought are work in progress and cant be expected to hit the ground running! Going to be a lot of pressure on them to deliver now! We have strengthened the squad in other areas tho bringing in some good experience in Richards and Lescott.

Yes I do.

The eleven you think would win were/ are perennial losers whether individually they should be or not.

I think there is also a massive over reaction to not having bought a third ( fourth if you count Sinclair) striker.

In our best years under Mon the best we had was Carew and Agbonlahor just about getting double figures in the League, yet we still finished 6th.

I have no doubt that as a Team, and with what I have seen from how Sherwood generally sets us up, that we will score the necessary 45-50 goals to finish between 10th and 14th, which will do me for starters.

• Like 4

BBC reporting that we are probably getting Ilori.

"Liverpool have submitted a 'Premier League deal sheet' regarding the potential transfer of 22-year-old Portuguese defender Tiago Ilori to Aston Villa.

"This has been accepted from the Premier League and means they now have until 20:00 to complete the paper work on this transfer. If it is completed it will be a season long loan.

"There is a significant loan fee for this - and a clause that would allow Aston Villa to make it permanent at the end of the transfer."

Despite my previous post...  I also agree this has been the best window in many years at Villa- the quality of players we have signed have been several steps 'higher' than we have previously been signing.  We have addressed all the major weak areas.  I'm hopeful that TS will 'ride the purple player' at ST during the season...  right now that player is clearly Sinclair.

At ST we rotate between Sinclair, Gabby, Gestede, Ayew, Kozak

Behind them we have a nice stable of flair players to create chances:  Adama, Grealish, Gil, Veretout, etc.

It's no good strengthing the rest of the team if you aren't going to sign someone to finish of the chances they create, a complete and utter waste of time.

How do you know whether the two strikers we have signed are going to fail after so little game time. What about the fabulously talented midfielders we've signed.  

Waste of time? Useless.

I'm certainly not writing Ayew off, I think he'll finish the season being regarded as the best striker at the club and can see him getting into double figures. I'm not as convinced by Gestede but at the very least I think he'll be useful coming of the bench with his heading abilities. Ideally I think we needed someone to be getting us 18 plus goals.

We're getting a technically gifted, quick Central Defender for a year at the cost of £1m with an option to buy (be interesting to find out for how much. He was in the Euro Under-21 Final and Liverpool paid £7m for him as an 18 year old.

And for those saying we don't need another Central Defender. How many Central Defensive injuries have we had the last few years? It always seems like you don't need another Central Defender until one suffers an injury...

• Like 2

How do you know whether the two strikers we have signed are going to fail after so little game time. What about the fabulously talented midfielders we've signed.

Waste of time? Useless.

I'm certainly not writing Ayew off, I think he'll finish the season being regarded as the best striker at the club and can see him getting into double figures. I'm not as convinced by Gestede but at the very least I think he'll be useful coming of the bench with his heading abilities. Ideally I think we needed someone to be getting us 18 plus goals.

How many teams have someone who scores 18 plus goals?

• Like 2