Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Not bothered by the whole net spend thing, really. We got a lot of money for 2 players and all of that was put back into signing new players. Hopefully next season now we can just buy 1 or 2 decent players to improve the squad, rather than having to buy a whole new team. We can also get rid of some more of the deadwood.

Interesting that Villa, Swansea, Southampton and Stoke have all spent the least in terms of net... We have made the most changes obviously, but, I think all 4 teams have been rather clever here....

Overall a really good transfer window, though the jury is out on whether the £16m spent on Ayew and Gestede would have been better spent on a more proven striker, but then getting a striker like that is harder than it sounds. A proven scorer costs a fortune, as £15m for Austin, who has a year on his contract, only one season of PL football, wouldn't necessarily pass a medical and is at a relegated club, shows. It's now down to Tim to try and get the team to perform.

Is the loan window for champo clubs still open?

It would be good to ship Baker out, get a yrs experience leading a club to a promotion fight. B'mouth CBs don't look to bad at all, so the drop in 

standard wouldn't matter all that much.

It would be good to ship Baker out, get a yrs experience leading a club to a promotion fight. B'mouth CBs don't look to bad at all, so the drop in 

hes already gone! bristol city for 1yr

• Like 1

Yes he left for Bristol on loan a few hours ago.

• Like 1

Fairly happy with this summers business.

Yes we still have a few weaknesses in the squad but that was to be expected considering how bad we've been for the last couple of seasons.

It is impossible to rebuild an entire squad in one window and get it to work from day one.

It will take time to gel, and goals will be an issue since Benteke is irreplaceable, but I think many of our signings are really exciting. In particular Amavi and Adama.

Now It's down to Tim and his team to make everything work  

This is fascinating. Thanks for posting it.

I don't really like how it's being reported. If he wants to wait on God or whatever then fine. The real issue is how cankered footballers' contracts are. That he, and perhaps Berahino, are no longer fulfilling the duties and their roles and still receiving payment.

Adebayor is clearly a troubled man - the stuff about his family and the shooting are horrifying - and I hope he finds some sort of comfort before playing again. I do have to pose one question, though: To paraphrase Balotelli, 'why always him'?

So, in the end, you can only say this window amounts to the biggest punt ever.

A few of our new recruits are yet to convince and may never quite make it - statistically speaking that's only normal, but... what choice did we have? None, it had to be done.

As much as we fans moan about Lerner's lack of additional spend, it is understandable from a rational, non-partisan point of view. Moaning about it is pointless, he'll do what he likes until he's gone. 

Over the last few years, Aston Villa has looked like a grand old tree full of rot, underfed and about to fall over - how we didn't get relegated will always remain a mystery.

We've had a woefully poor squad under some terrible managers, but irrespective of where the money came from in this window, there's no denying it has enabled the major surgery we needed. Now we have an excellent senior management team, an attack minded first team manager who isn't Scottish and a brand new squad.

The lack of a recognised striker does feel disappointing, but all things considered, we have some hope back and that means everything to most football fans - dare I say it, the green shoots of recovery? 

Well done Tim and Tom - some impressive hard work done under very difficult circumstances. 

• Like 2

Can't believe we didn't sign a striker

Had we bought Gestede and Ayew today would that have been better?

Given the stance Tim has taken on Kozak and Gabby being Gabby then no.

What stance is that and how is it relevant to the question?

I've seen posts saying they wish we were in Watford's shoes by them signing Oulare today (admittedly not aimed at Supermon per se) but had we gone into today with 'just' Kozak, Sinclair, Gabby and Gestede as our striking options then spent the best part of £10m on Ayew, on deadline day, I think people would be chuffed to ****.

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 1

I've suggested Diame as a signing for years but he's been injured for ages. Would imagine we'll go back in January for him.

As we will for a striker....really can't understand how we didn't sign one even on loan sop standby for similar to January 2011 when we were struggling and spent a massive amount on a short term fix like Darren Bent to help us stay up. Can see similar this time.