Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Im sure there are better keepers out there - but lets be brutally honest - we are at best aiming for mid table next season - Guzan IMO is good enough for that. To replace him with a better keeper would IMO cost at least £6m , out of a likley budget of say £15m, that money could be better spent.

We have no idea what the budget will be, especially if Benteke is sold so there is little point in arguing against the signing of a new GK from this angle.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

Im sure there are better keepers out there - but lets be brutally honest - we are at best aiming for mid table next season - Guzan IMO is good enough for that. To replace him with a better keeper would IMO cost at least £6m , out of a likley budget of say £15m, that money could be better spent.

We have no idea what the budget will be, especially if Benteke is sold so there is little point in arguing against the signing on a new GK from this angle.

I think it's fair enough to say that, should we have £15m to spend, a goalkeeper should not be a priority.  Whereas, for example, should we have £15m to spend then we should certainly be looking at a new left back (again).

Nothing wrong with commenting on that.  To be honest, even if we had £40m to spend, I'd rather most other positions were invested in.

I see the David Button link, originally reporteded by Percy, is doing the rounds again. I want a new keeper but if true, this smacks of extremely lazy scouting based on his Spuds origins. He isn't even young.

Tim Sherwood has begun his preparations for a first transfer window as a manager by handing his wish list to owner Randy Lerner.

The Aston Villa boss believes he has an unbalanced squad and is keen to make additions while selling players deemed surplus to requirements.

Swindon midfielder Massimo Luongo and Brentford goalkeeper David Button, both Tottenham academy graduates, are targets.

It is believed Carles Gil, Andreas Weimann, and Aly Cissokho may be offered the chance to search for alternative clubs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3092909/Tim-Sherwood-planning-summer-shake-Aston-Villa-boss-targets-Massimo-Luongo-David-Button-season.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

The player himself has commented on the link.

David Button remains tight-lipped on speculation that Aston Villa want to sign him – but reckons he won't be the only Brentford linked to a top flight club this summer.

The keeper, who having joined from Charlton two years ago, is just six games short of 100 appearances for the Bees, is reportedly being monitored by Tim Sherwood's FA Cup finalists.

But while the 26 year old refused to comment on a possible move to the Midlands, he warned Bees fans to expect more speculation surrounding his team-mates following a fantastic first season in the Championship.

He said: “Obviously it's flattering and a bit of a boost to be linked with clubs like that, but I don't want to comment on that really.

“You never know what's going to happen, and playing in the top flight is something I've always aimed for, but I'm just focused on Brentford.

“There's a lot of players here who I wouldn't be surprised to see linked with Premier League clubs. There's a lot of talent, and I'm sure a lot of us will be playing at a higher level one day.”

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-target-tight-lipped-brentford-9308053?

Edited by Isa

I see the David Button link, originally reporteded by Percy, is doing the rounds again. I want a new keeper but if true, this smacks of extremely lazy scouting based on his Spuds origins. He isn't even young.

Tim Sherwood has begun his preparations for a first transfer window as a manager by handing his wish list to owner Randy Lerner.

The Aston Villa boss believes he has an unbalanced squad and is keen to make additions while selling players deemed surplus to requirements.

Swindon midfielder Massimo Luongo and Brentford goalkeeper David Button, both Tottenham academy graduates, are targets.

It is believed Carles Gil, Andreas Weimann, and Aly Cissokho may be offered the chance to search for alternative clubs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3092909/Tim-Sherwood-planning-summer-shake-Aston-Villa-boss-targets-Massimo-Luongo-David-Button-season.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

The player himself has commented on the link.

David Button remains tight-lipped on speculation that Aston Villa want to sign him – but reckons he won't be the only Brentford linked to a top flight club this summer.

The keeper, who having joined from Charlton two years ago, is just six games short of 100 appearances for the Bees, is reportedly being monitored by Tim Sherwood's FA Cup finalists.

But while the 26 year old refused to comment on a possible move to the Midlands, he warned Bees fans to expect more speculation surrounding his team-mates following a fantastic first season in the Championship.

He said: “Obviously it's flattering and a bit of a boost to be linked with clubs like that, but I don't want to comment on that really.

“You never know what's going to happen, and playing in the top flight is something I've always aimed for, but I'm just focused on Brentford.

“There's a lot of players here who I wouldn't be surprised to see linked with Premier League clubs. There's a lot of talent, and I'm sure a lot of us will be playing at a higher level one day.”

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-target-tight-lipped-brentford-9308053?

A mate of mine is a Brentford Season Ticket holder and said Button is nowhere near good enough to play in Premiership and is shocked we are linked with him.

It seems because we have spent £10/15m a season for a few years it's now accepted as the budget. The reason we had to have such a limit is because of the excessive spending we had before that so now that's under control we should be able to spend more and especially with the new TV deal coming in next year allied to a new sponsor this year and new kit deal next year. We could easily spend £40m this year which when the transfer fee is spread out over the term of the contract comes to £8m a year on a 5 year deal. Lerner will not want to have such a close shave next year if he is still here and any new owners will want to make a splash so I can see us being up around that mark easily. 4/5 top players would kick us on no end and may even convince benteke to sign.

Begovic GK Trippier RB Davies/Taylor LB

Midfield depends a lot on Cleverley and Gardner

Then I'd like a 2nd Striker to play with Benteke

• Like 1

Luke Garbutt at Everton is available on a free this summer, looks a great prospect. Maybe would find us a more attractive proposition due to our left back problems. Much higher chance playing for us regularly than at Everton.

• Like 1

Luke Garbutt at Everton is available on a free this summer, looks a great prospect. Maybe would find us a more attractive proposition due to our left back problems. Much higher chance playing for us regularly than at Everton.

I think we should go for him, he's an excellent young player

Some really uninspiring links so far, if we are too replace Guzan then we need to find an improvement not an average championship keeper (Button)

Really hope all these links to ex spurs youngsters are just lazy journalism because they are so uninspiring

I'm a little worried Sherwood's going to be a bit 'jobs for the boys' this summer and just get people like Button in. There's no way he's anywhere near as good as Guzan but he'd be fiercely loyal to Sherwood. 

I'm worried that Sherwood will sign over priced British players. A bit like MON did. Hopefully our Chairman, whoever it ends up being, will not let it get out of control like we did when we signed the likes of Dunne and Given.

• Like 1

There's no way we should be looking to replace Guzan as he's been the main reason behind our survival in recent years. A couple of errors here and there there is normal for keepers, just look at Joe Hart!

Other positions in the team need addressing before Guzan ever gets looked at.

• Like 2

There's no way we should be looking to replace Guzan as he's been the main reason behind our survival in recent years. A couple of errors here and there there is normal for keepers, just look at Joe Hart!

If Tim doesn't think Guzan should play ahead of a 39 year old Given at a pivotal time of a season, I think we have to look around for something else. I don't know how much "better", but something else. Edited by AVTuco

Arguably two seasons ago he was. I think that claim is ludicrous regarding this season. 

• Like 1

Looks unlikely a DOF will be appointed then. Some of these players are really uninspiring and seeing as it's his first transfer window probably not surprising. I still maintain it's a mistake if the club do not appoint one. I'm also not sure what he means by targeting "durable" players.