Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Seriously don't understand what Guzan has done so wrong for people to be suggesting a goalkeeper is needed.

Is it honestly based off the back of one horrendous mistake and an 'average' season?

No, it's based on making more mistakes leading to goals than anyone except Rob Green and a generally poor season. 

The trouble Guzan has; and it's the same as his defenders; is that he's not judged on what he does right, he's judged on what he does wrong.  If he pulls off 3 worldies and then lets in a clanger and we lose, then he let in a clanger.  For all of Guzan's brilliance between the sticks, he does seem to get brainfade and then let in stuff that costs us badly.  I'm not entirely convinced about him going into next season and I suspect with the form Sherwood has seen since his arrival, neither is he, hence Given currently has possession of the spot.

• Like 1

I have been disappointed with Guzan this season.He has dropped a few clangers this season.I think Sherwood will try to replace him in the close season. I hear the Small Heath goalkeeper is out of contract ,would go for him to piss our neighbours off, as to be fair he sounds a decent keeper :D

His form seemed to dip after the arrival of sherwood and his new goalkeeping coach - Given offers little if any improvement. If we find a better goalie than guzan 'in budget' then fine - personally I think thats a tall order !

With all he off-field problems Adebayors having, even if him and Sherwood are best buds he's not an idiot and will know his heads not in it anymore. No chance.

That's what worries me, despite Sherwood's success, I feel there still is a fair bit of idiot in him. I hope he uses the money wisely as transfer policy is equally as important as motivating and organising.

• Like 1

Seriously don't understand what Guzan has done so wrong for people to be suggesting a goalkeeper is needed.

Is it honestly based off the back of one horrendous mistake and an 'average' season?

No, it's based on making more mistakes leading to goals than anyone except Rob Green and a generally poor season. 

I'd be intrigued to see where you got those stats. Source?

I can't remember too many mistakes from him this season tbh.

I'd be intrigued to see where you got those stats. Source?

I can't remember too many mistakes from him this season tbh.

Was posted earlier by someone.  I think the answer was 4 mistakes and they were namely Man City, Swansea, Everton and.... Leicester?  Can't remember the last.

Similarly, Man City aside, I can't remember any of them being particular clangers.

De Gea has been judged as arguably the best keeper in the league but should never have let Benteke's goal in.  Courtois has been superb but got beaten from 60 yards by Charlie Adam.  Keepers make mistakes.  Doesn't mean they should get dropped.

His form seemed to dip after the arrival of sherwood and his new goalkeeping coach - Given offers little if any improvement. If we find a better goalie than guzan 'in budget' then fine - personally I think thats a tall order !

maybe but it also happened that we stopped playing 10 men behind the ball, also goalkeeping coach just recently worked with Hugo Lloris and cant remember him looking as dodgy

also Guzan is good but he isnt Benteke that he is irreplaceable at the moment and impossible buy a better player

If we're replacing first team players Guzan would be way down on my list of players that need to be upgraded.

Personally i'd be having Guzan, Bacuna (Probably the most controversial) Clark, Okore, Westwood, Delph, Cleverley, Grealish and Benteke as the core of the first team and look to improve/add to the other areas of the squad way before I considered upgrading any of those players.

• Like 1

The approach for Guzan should be to sign an up and coming goalkeeper.

I think signing a replacement for Guzan would be a waste of money. It would cost us a lot to get a better keeper than Guzan.

So let's spend a bit less on a young goalkeeper who is happy to be on the bench and getting the odd game, but who can develop and push Guzan for his place. Like Stoke did by signing Butland

Guzan is easily good enough for us. There are way more priorities in this team than replacing him. It would be money wasted.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

maybe but it also happened that we stopped playing 10 men behind the ball, also goalkeeping coach just recently worked with Hugo Lloris and cant remember him looking as dodgy

also Guzan is good but he isnt Benteke that he is irreplaceable at the moment and impossible buy a better player

Oh really?

1be2d3854589105218b06318a984809d.473x224

Edit:  Plus stuff like: http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/12/04/pochettino-lloris-not-at-fault-for-tottenham-error-only-one-pers/

As I say, keepers make mistakes all the time.  Doesn't mean they should be dropped.

Edited by bobzy

Im sure there are better keepers out there - but lets be brutally honest - we are at best aiming for mid table next season - Guzan IMO is good enough for that. To replace him with a better keeper would IMO cost at least £6m , out of a likley budget of say £15m, that money could be better spent.

• Like 1