Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Seriously don't understand what Guzan has done so wrong for people to be suggesting a goalkeeper is needed.

Is it honestly based off the back of one horrendous mistake and an 'average' season?

I don't think he needs replacing but he definitely needs more competition.

It IS a lazy comparison.

If he was called Charles Austinho and had just had the same season, those comparisons wouldn't have been made.

But then he would (probably) not be English and therefore cost half as much.

I'd be all for signing him for around £7m

This is absolutely baffling.

You'd pay the same amount for a striker from the Belgian league with an ok scoring record as a striker with proven goalscoring ability in the PL?

Not saying there\s no better options than Austin but some of the comments about him are so OTT. Similar to Danny Graham? Give me a break.

Austin is averaging a goal every 175mins to Bentekes 176mins this season.

This proves that he's worth a decent amount if anything.

15 million these days isn't that much to spend on a striker because the market is ridiculously inflated.

10-12 million, I'd be chuffed. 15 million, still happy but cautious.

Austin's record this season is impressive considering the shower of shit he's had around him this season - put him a decent team that will give him decent service (not necessarily us) and he'll bag a hat full.

We'd have to adapt our style of play but I'm not against the idea. 

My fear with signing Austin is that we'd have a Darren Bent situation all over again. He's a very good finisher and he can probably score at any level but he offers very little outside of the box as a team player. 

I guess it depends who we play to bring in the play behind him with Grealish seeing as Gil's not getting a look in. 

Edited by avfcwills10

It IS a lazy comparison.

If he was called Charles Austinho and had just had the same season, those comparisons wouldn't have been made.

You'd pay the same amount for a striker from the Belgian league with an ok scoring record as a striker with proven goalscoring ability in the PL?

Not saying there\s no better options than Austin but some of the comments about him are so OTT. Similar to Danny Graham? Give me a break.

15 million these days isn't that much to spend on a striker because the market is ridiculously inflated.

If your gonna use stats for your argument , you must look at all the stats not just the stats that inflate your point of view ,

Balls won in air by benteke when we play thump ball that he knocks onto other players

Discipline

Penalty misses

As I said very easy to turn stats into your advantage , but doesn't mean your near being right or wrong

I'm worried about some of these links, worried that we're going to turn into another QPR.

We have a manager who is a big advocate of giving young players that have come through the system a chance. That alone puts us as far away from being another QPR as you can get.

In terms of who we are being linked to in the papers around 1% of it will prove to be correct  the rest is bullshit.

It IS a lazy comparison.

If your gonna use stats for your argument , you must look at all the stats not just the stats that inflate your point of view ,

Balls won in air by benteke when we play thump ball that he knocks onto other players

Discipline

Penalty misses

As I said very easy to turn stats into your advantage , but doesn't mean your near being right or wrong

One stat you can't argue with though:

2008–2009 Poole Town 42 (48) 2009–2011 Swindon Town 54 (31) 2011–2013 Burnley 82 (41) 2013– Queens Park Rangers 62 (34)

Who is a better player than Austin that we can realistically get? Since their is better options

Austin better than Weimann for a start and that is what you want from signings, players better than you currently have

It IS a lazy comparison.

Discipline

Penalty misses

I didn't use any stats.

Folski used that stat and I quoted it.

It IS a lazy comparison.

Benteke came through the excellent Standard Liege academy, made his Belgium debut when he was 19 (2 years before we signed him) and played at every level with the Belgian U sides.

He still was a gamble at the price we paid.

Austin has 1 (very good) season of topflight football, he could go either way from here. Imo he'll never cost more than he will atm.

Let's agree to disagree on this one.

I'd rather we spend the money on a creative midfielder to play alongside Grealish and on keeping Benteke

Who is a better player than Austin that we can realistically get? Since their is better options

Austin better than Weimann for a start and that is what you want from signings, players better than you currently have

Talking of Weimann I wonder if he would be able to be used in a cash + player deal if we did go for Austin?

Also did anybody else realise that Austin was in the last year of his contact?! Because I certainly didn't. £8m and Andi sounds feasible because they're not exactly in a position to let him run down his contract. 

• Like 1

It IS a lazy comparison.

But then he would (probably) not be English and therefore cost half as much.I'd be all for signing him for around £7m

Discipline

Penalty misses

One stat you can't argue with though:

2008–2009

Poole Town

(48)

2009–2011

Swindon Town

(31)

2011–2013

Burnley

(41)

2013–

Queens Park Rangers

(34)

I could throw up the stats for players like Ross McCormack or Jordan Rhodes and there stats can look amazing, but doesn't mean they are worth 15 million , like I said stats can manipulate an argument, if you said to me I've seen quiet a bit of Austin this season and think he is worth the money , I'd say fair point

£15 million for Austin is too much in my opinion, but the money in football has changed the landscape. I'd prefer to spread the goals and buy in other key positions, we still have Helenius and Kozak knocking around, plus a load of other failed loan players....who's to say under Sherwood they can't improve.

I'd be tempted to look at Adebayor, if you get 50% from him in a season he'll hit double figures, though those wages. He'd also be good for young players to watch, he might be an enigma but he's definitely talented.

In our position I actually think we have a lot of options in the transfer market, players are more inclined than ever to come to the Premier League and club momentum is high. It'll be interesting to see if Sherwood is the gambling abroad type, we've never really had a manager who can entice higher reputation foreign players.

It IS a lazy comparison.

But then he would (probably) not be English and therefore cost half as much.I'd be all for signing him for around £7m
yes you quoted stats and said it proves it

Discipline

Penalty misses

I didn't use any stats.

Edited by pete101

If he's in the last year of his contract then I wouldn't pay more than £5M for him. And no way should we be changing our style of play for Charlie Austin.

It IS a lazy comparison.

yes you quoted stats and said it proves it

Discipline

Penalty misses

I didn't use any stats.

You quoted the stat , and said this proves it, not trying to target you , just taking in general term