Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

I think I would rather invest in a 15 million playmaker who could score 10 goals a season and stick with gabby/andi/libor

That'd be one of the worst group of strikers in prem history IMO

• Like 1

I think I would rather invest in a 15 million playmaker who could score 10 goals a season and stick with gabby/andi/libor

True

A team with bad strikers but with support will score more goals than a team with a good striker who lack support (imo)

Just look at let's say Crystal Palace, their strikers are absolute donkeys and they have still scored 15 goals more than us this season

• Like 1

Bomb out all the poor players. Bring in 3-5 quality players. Will transform our team

GK

LM

AVFC

We have a quality GK.

We 1) don't play with wingers 2) just literally bought an LM

Austin strikes me as similar kind of player to Holt and Rickie Lambert.

Such a lazy comparison. And the comparison to Graham?

Jesus Christ, we are genuinely as bad as the Liverpool fans about Benteke at the moment  :crylaugh:

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

It doesn't make it any less true. Comparing him to Rickie Lambert wasn't really meant as a diss either. I certainly wouldn't pay £15M for him, he's worth half that at the most.

It IS a lazy comparison.

If he was called Charles Austinho and had just had the same season, those comparisons wouldn't have been made.

But then he would (probably) not be English and therefore cost half as much.

I'd be all for signing him for around £7m

If he was called Charles Austinho, hadn't spent most of his time in the lower leagues and didn't have a similar build and style of play to Holt and Lambert then perhaps I wouldn't have made the comparison.

I'm not saying Austin is rubbish and comparing him to Holt and Lambert wasn't really meant as a critique. But if we do end up having to replace Benteke then I think we should go for a more proven player I know we aren't going to get someone who's as good as Christian currently but hopefully someone 'more proven' than Austin.

Edited by useless

Austin is averaging a goal every 175mins to Bentekes 176mins this season.

Still think a club who are going down, need to shed a load of their over paid squad, can't demand £15m for him, when we worked out relegation costing  a club roughly £60m.

Would that figure make him both the most expensive non-capped English player and non-capped player ever?

Aren't QPR in danger of being demoted to the conference due them breaching FFP rules?

Or is that just an empty threat?

I think they are.

They'll most likely be forced to yet another fire-sale in the summer.

Unless Austin is Tim's dream signing I think he should hold off until the price inevitably drops.

If another club want's him for £15-20m then so be it

That's a completely empty threat and that was before UEFA decided to announce relaxation of FFP, meaning the football league would be on even shakier ground by carrying out their own threat.  This falls into the 'I'll eat my own face if it happens' category.

• Like 2

Or play Gil in that role and spend the money on a striker.

Well Austin has just been named in the England Squad, so I guess that will now add a few million to his price.

I can understand peoples nervousness about spending £xxm on Austin after one good season in PL, for a club with our budget it is a big outlay, especially when you see what we picked Benteke up for. Ideally we keep hold of Benteke, but should he leave, whoever is bought in is going to have some big shoes to fill.