Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

maybe is no money to spend and they are only players could get money for. Also no Weimann either maybe we are selling him :o

Weimann I can kind of understand - he hasn't kicked on at all this season and needs to be moved on.

We have some young strikers coming through to stake a claim for 4th striker.

New defence.

We concede far too easily

We definitely do, though I think that's something to do with playing on the attack to save ourselves. 

Having said that it's been a horrible few years for goals conceded, midfield has been weak and our defence very inconsistent.

I'm not sure where a proper defensive midfielder would fit in, we'd have to sell some players to accommodate, but it's far too obvious that our full backs are a concern and Vlaar isn't the Laursen, Mellberg, Southgate, Ehiogu or even Dunne type player that we need.

Very very clear that none of Weimann, Guzan, Cissokho or Gil will be here in August. Sherwood has helpfully called them some of them 'losers' in the media, just to lower their valuations a little more. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Very very clear that none of Weimann, Guzan, Cissokho or Gil will be here in August. Sherwood has helpfully called them some of them 'losers' in the media, just to lower their valuations a little more. 

Where did he say that?

Where did he say that?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/23/aston-villa-tim-sherwood-fa-cup-final-arsenal-football

“Players are different now. They’ve changed. We didn’t have to open a door, we took it off the hinges because we were head-butting walls: ‘Come on, get in there’. But there’s been an influx of foreign players and the type of player now is different. That doesn’t mean they don’t want to win any less. They still care, but I want them to care more than anything in the world to win because there are far too many losers in the game.”

Any players falling into that category at Villa Park will be told to pack their bags during a summer when Sherwood is looking to put his stamp on the squad. He has already given Randy Lerner, the Villa owner, a list of his targets. “We have to move out the losers,” Sherwood says. “Not to be disrespectful – I’m not saying that everyone who leaves here is a loser – but the ones we bring in have to be ones who want to achieve and move upwards. This cannot become a graveyard for footballers who want a last pay day. This has to be the birthplace of the new generation, and that’s what I’m trying to achieve here.”

New defence.

We concede far too easily

What I have noticed since Sherwood has come in is the amount we concede from high balls, crosses. So many goals we just don't have an aerially dominant centre half to anticipate and head out the danger. Vlaar isn't great in the air and Baker for his height should be better at this aswell.

Still maintain the squad needs major changes for me, under new ownership or not. Desperately need quality not quantity.

Agreed.

The issue for me is the likes of Bacuna and Westwood can have really good 4-5 game spells but are these the sort that can produce for say 30 games a season a good level and be consistant that way.

If they are then we wouldn't be finishing bottom 6 again as has been the standard last 4 years.

With Sherwood scouting teams like Swindon and Brentford together with some of the names we're being linked with in the papers it's not looking good for those who feel the team needs revamped with quality. We really need a takeover to happen asap.

Trying to objectively look at our current crop of players - we seriously have room for improvement in every position on the pitch.

Keepers:

Guzan - I rate him but maybe TS doesn't. Could be shipped out in the summer

Given - Rated by TS but for me is too old now and costs a lot each week.

Steer - too inexperienced to be first choice

Conclusion: We need another keeper to either challenge or replace Guzan. Thought Heaton today was terrific.

Right Backs:

Hutton - Solid enough and likes to bomb forward. Should be retained.

Bacuna - Proved he can play (attacking) RB and rated by TS. No doubt will be retained.

Lowton - Hasn't featured enough recently but I like him. Could be shipped out though due to AH and LB ahead of him

Conclusion: Don't think we'll see another RB signing.

Centre Backs:

Vlaar - A very mixed season, at time sublime, other ridiculous and the remaining injured. Could leave on a free but expect him to sign as no one else will probably come in for him.

Clark - A great season, much improved and should certainly stay and become 1st choice CB.

Okore - Not a bad season and will also stick around.

Baker - As with both Clark and Okore, he has improved and shown great attitude. I'd keep him.

Senderos - Started well but then got injured on international duty. Hasn't featured since and don't reckon he'll be in TS's plans.

Conclusion: An experienced CB to sign unless Vlaar stays on.

Left Back:

Richardson -  TS obviously likes him. I'm still not convinced at LB but no doubt he will be retained.

Cissokho -  For once we sign a LB that can defend but he hasn't had a look-in since TS took over. He'll be out of the door.

Luna - Cannot see him having a future here

Bennett - TS has remarked he's liked what he's seen so far. I'll wait for TS to watch him competitively and then get rid of him!

Kinsella - Young and rated but wouldn't want us to rely on him next season. Loan out for a season.

Conclusion: We need a good solid attacking left back!

Central Midfield:

Delph - No brainer, he is the best we've got and will not be sold.

Cleverley - has proven under TS he is a good premier league midfielder. Hope TS persuades him to sign.

Westwood - I really rate him and he should be retained but there are better players out there for sure.

Sanchez - he's adapted ok for his first season but again there are better players out there.

Gardner - still untested in the top flight. Had a good loan spell with Forest. Make or break for him pre-season.

Conclusion: Definately need another quality addition to the middle of the park.

Attacking Midfield/Wingers:

N'Zogbia - hmmmm, I just don't know about him. TS has persisted with him and it wouldn't surprise me if this continues next season. We should do better though. I'd replace him.

Grealish - certainly looking like a real player. Build attacking game around him and hope he continues to improve next year.

Sinclair - A snip at £2.5m and would rather see him play than CNZ.

Gil - dead man walking under TS. A shame as he looks a player and could easily fit to TS's tactic. He will be sold though no doubt. 

Cole - too old, too many injuries but seems a good pro. Still expect him to go though.

Tonev - expect him to be shipped out.

Conclusion: I expect 2-3 out and maybe 1 in

Strikers:

Benteke - we must keep him for the coming season. Hopefully TS can convince him to do so!

Gabby - 'Mr Aston Villa' will remain, limpetesque within the squad no matter how inconsistant he is.

Weimann - hasn't kicked on and will look to be moved on.

Kozak - Who knows, he's not kicked a ball in anger for 18 months. Worth retaining and getttin back on the pitch.

Robinson - Still young and raw so expect a loan to the Championship next season.

Helenius - allegedly not coming back.

Conclusion: Ship out Weimann and bring in a better striker than Gabby.

All in all it should be a very busy summer for TS - I reckon we need the minimum of 6 signings.

• Like 1

Agree that we need a whole new defence.

Rated Heaton already but after today and them going down i'd try and sign him.

Sign: Heaton, Trippier, Robertson (Hul), A cb, a cdm and a striker who can play with (if we keep him) Benteke. I'd like Ings if we could get him rather than Austin.