Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

The one thing about the summer transfer window, this that it is seeing genuinely good premiership players getting relegated due to the ineptitude of their team mates.

Clearly most relegated teams won't want to sell their best players and can sometimes afford to hold onto them, but for the sake of players careers, i believe in making moves on these players to make the team stronger to avoid relegation or even push up the league.

Every year i look at what decent players relegated teams have that could in my mind make Villa stronger and who they could replace, i only really see 1 player each from QPR and Burnley who i'd like to see here at Villa and who they could replace.

Although saying that though, had Villa been relegated, there is plenty here that we could of lost that makes the thought of being relegated even more crazy.

I would be interested to know from the posters who are well versed with the finances of the club what is likely to happen in the closed season on the transfer front given the following criteria

• Assuming Randy will still be here
  • The TV money is set to be at record levels
  • We have flirted with relegation for too many seasons
  • We clearly need to strengthen in all departments of the team
  • The clubs finances appear to be under control
  • Our gates seem to have responded to positive moves
  • Like 1

I think some of these links are exciting.

That they're English and currently playing in lower leagues is causing some hilarious knicker wetting though. People wanked themselves into a frenzy over Carlos Sanchez, but got angry over the loan signing of Cleverley.

The morale of the story is wait until they've played for us before being worried.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 1

I lived close to Griffin Park for a while (I went to see them play on a number of occasions) and can say that Button is highly, highly rated there and can guarantee that people have nothing to worry about. I haven't seen Luongo play but from all accounts (apart from woe is me Villa fans) - he's a class player.

I'd be excited to see what these lads can do for us.

Adebayor is the only link that's a cause for concern because he's clearly got problems and needs to step away from the game.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

I think some of these links are exciting.

That they're English and currently playing in lower leagues is causing some hilarious knicker wetting though. People wanked themselves into a frenzy over Carlos Sanchez, but got angry over the loan signing of Cleverley.

The morale of the story is wait until they've played for us before being worried.

them being English has very little to almost nothing to do with it. Equally people were happy with the Westwood signing and grealish flourshing so please; that is utter nonsense. I'm more concerned they are ex spurs players but as I said before it's not exactly a surprise.

Yeah its the same complaints every transfer window. People dont want us to sign young, hungry, veteran or British players

Who do they want us to sign. In their prime foreign talent? Not exactly easiest players to sign

To be fair, you're overreacting a little there.

All I can see are people saying they hope that Sherwood doesn't just sign ex-spurs (which is pretty much all we've been linked to so far minus austin)

when linked with Austin people said it as well. Sherwood hasnt signed a player yet so nobody should say he is next MON with players media link him with. For all we know he could sign some wonderkids from South America

I wont believe his policy until on the official site not what some rag like Mirror or Sun tell us

..Or you know people could want a mix of squad and quality players. The likes of Southampton, Swansea and even Stoke have had successful seasons doing this. I have no problem with these players arriving but think we need more quality than quantity now. I don't think the goalkeeping position needs looking at all.

Fwiw I think signing just "young english talent" from the lower leagues would be a terrible strategy that only someone used to playing Football Manager would suggest.

Picking the odd well scouted gem from those leagues I'm all for and hopefully that is what Tim will do.

Luongo would be a good signing imo

I would be interested to know from the posters who are well versed with the finances of the club what is likely to happen in the closed season on the transfer front given the following criteria

We'd be on the same basic level tv money as last year as they new deal doesn't come in till 2016/17 as far as I know, but could probably get an extra few million out of extra games being shown due to being more competitive (or so we hope).

With the wages in the last accounts just under £70m for 2013/14 you'd imagine that the wage bill has gone up a nice bit since then with the additions of Richardson, Senderos, Cole, Sanchez, Gil, Cleverley, Cissokho & Sinclair, factor in a new deal for Delph & Grealish, probably a few more I'm forgetting as well. Granted we would have lost the Holt wages, half a season of the excess of whatever Stoke weren't paying Ireland, Bent too will be off the books along with Herd, only other notables other than those who've been out on loan are Albrighton, El Ahmadi & Delfouneso. It's safe to say from a wages point of view we need to get rid of quiet a few before we add, even with Bent gone we'd probably be up around the £75m mark before a ball is kicked going into next season. At the moment assuming Bent, Stevens & Herd are gone, we have 29 players in the squad who will have played at least 10 league games, and this doesn't include Helenius, Gil & Steer so 32 players, to put that in perspective City have 24 players who have played at least 10 league games for them at the moment.

We've 2 goal keepers with on #1 wages, 3 right backs who've played over 60 times for us in the league, 3 left backs who've only played 82 times between them and that doesn't include other players who've played there, Richardson, Baker, Lowton & Clark. 

When you ignore depreciation & amortisation we actually made a profit of £20m last year. (13/14) We are probably in a similar situation to O'Neill's time now where we have players who are earning in excess of what they are worth compared to playing time, but it's just a case of the players are on smaller contracts, and therefore should be easier to shift, from a squad point of view you'd imagine we can spend more than last year (£10m but looks as if money was put aside for wages instead of transfers) but we probably need to get rid of players at the same time.

• Like 2

I always liked the 'young and hungry' policy but a 26 year old isn't young. If we replace Guzan, I want it to be with somebody with a high ceiling. The Luongo signing sounds fine, he's 22, an international, won MVP at the Asian Cup recently.

I'm a bit puzzled with the notion that more TV money would help us somehow. It's the same for everyone, right? So, what it'll do is drive up prices and wages of new acquisitions and contracts, thereby helping those who are in a stable position without a need to make major changes.

I'm a bit puzzled with the notion that more TV money would help us somehow. It's the same for everyone, right? So, what it'll do is drive up prices and wages of new acquisitions and contracts, thereby helping those who are in a stable position without a need to make major changes.

but if we shop broad, we will still be better off except competing with Premier League clubs

Edited by TRO

..Or you know people could want a mix of squad and quality players. The likes of Southampton, Swansea and even Stoke have had successful seasons doing this. I have no problem with these players arriving but think we need more quality than quantity now. I don't think the goalkeeping position needs looking at all.

of course we all want that but we havent made a signing yet and people are just jumping on stories from rags that have no meaning at all