Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Actually I think you'll find I predicted Sherwood would be ambitious in the transfer market and I was excited by it.

Is this Sherwood driven or the new sporting director - Hendrik Almstadt?

Both I imagine.

The Guardian ran an article a few weeks back outlining how transfers are made at each club. Apparently we have a small committee of which Sherwood is a part of and I think it said he has the final say.

To be honest, I don't think the transfer policy has been much different than it was under Lambert, we're just spending a bit more money.

I agree but it's more than that as well.

The club has a far more effective man at the helm in Fox than it had with Faulkner. Then add to that Almstadt and Reillly and the expanded scouting network put together by Lambert and then Reilly and suddenly we have far more resources at hand and that has made a big difference.

There is also another chap who came with Sherwood who's name escapes me at the moment and he has played a big part in sifting through all the scouting reports and footage for Sherwood.

Have more money to spend and crucially more wages available due to departures has been important but so to has been the new found structure and resources.

It has to be said I doubt any staff in the PL have worked harder than Villa this window.

• Like 1

Dear Lord,

Please find it in your heart to allow us to sell N'zogbia, Senderos and Tonev. They deserve second chances at new clubs. If, in your infinite wisdom, you grant this request, I shall owe you one facial.

Amen.

Aston-Villa-v-Queens-Park-Rangers-Premie

I'll try my best but I can't make promises

• Like 2

Actually I think you'll find I predicted Sherwood would be ambitious in the transfer market and I was excited by it.

Both I imagine.

The Guardian ran an article a few weeks back outlining how transfers are made at each club. Apparently we have a small committee of which Sherwood is a part of and I think it said he has the final say.

To be honest, I don't think the transfer policy has been much different than it was under Lambert, we're just spending a bit more money.

The club has a far more effective man at the helm in Fox than it had with Faulkner. Then add to that Almstadt and Reillly and the expanded scouting network put together by Lambert and then Reilly and suddenly we have far more resources at hand and that has made a big difference.

There is also another chap who came with Sherwood who's name escapes me at the moment and he has played a big part in sifting through all the scouting reports and footage for Sherwood.

Have more money to spend and crucially more wages available due to departures has been important but so to has been the new found structure and resources.

It has to be said I doubt any staff in the PL have worked harder than Villa this window.

Seamus Brady 

• Like 1

Both I imagine.

Think its Seamus Brady

Both I imagine.

Seamus Brady

That's it! Thanks

CB next then maybe a keeper.

Do you know if we're looking for first choice players here or squaddies?

Also, what is your sense on the striker front? I'm loving the business we're doing, but I still think we're short on real quality at the very sharp end. 

In that extended interview he did with BT the other week he said Seamus Brady was someone who sat next to him at Spurs and knows instantly when looking at a player whether it is someone who fits into Tims ideas about the game.

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

Tonev and N'Zogbia don't deserve second chances. They deserve to be cast into the fiery pits of Small Heath.

Where there is weeping and gnashing of tooth (singular).

Sherwood spoke very highly of Seamus Brady in an interview the other day. Edit - As mentioned above by villaglint.

Our system sounds very similar to that of Southampton. Tom Fox has done a fantastic job of putting this all together in such a short space of time, some of the names will change as the system settles in to place I'm sure, but the important thing is that the system itself holds together.

Credit to Southampton too for showing us all how it should be done.  

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

CB next then maybe a keeper.

Do you know if we're looking for first choice players here or squaddies?

Also, what is your sense on the striker front? I'm loving the business we're doing, but I still think we're short on real quality at the very sharp end.

I'm not sure on CB, don't they would be a squad player as we aren't short on numbers. So if we get one it will either be to improve the first team or a young prospect like the chap from Forest.

Keeper, if we get one I think it will be to replace Guzan.

On the striker front I agree which is why I wanted Adebayor. Problem Id imagine is money as quality in that area of the pitch is costly unless you get lucky.

Adebayor even with the wages was relatively cheap, very cheap for a player of his ability of on form. I'm not convinced that is entirely dead, I've always said I thought it could be done at the end of the window.

I do though feel slightly concerned that we might be lacking goals and very dependant upon Rudy.

On the plus side I think we will get more goals from other areas of the side this year.

• Like 1

Lot's of talk about Keita to Villa on twitter, including this link from italy. Strange it has such specific details of Keita not actually having a passport right now, and that Villa are working with the FA to help push it through. I don't know much about him, but it seem's he's young, quick, and also ex Barcelona. Sign him up i say.

I think we badly need Adebayor to sign for us. As Trent has suggested, there aren't many better options at a reasonable price out there. At the moment, we are far too reliant on a £6m signing from the Championship. Gestede will no doubt prove to be a great option for us, but for me, there is far too much pressure on him at the moment. In the world of Premier League strikers, it's unfair to expect a £6m signing from the Championship to lead the line for us over the course of a season. Sign Adebayor and a Centre back, and I will be extremely impressed.

• Like 3

Been talk West Ham are looking at Adebayor on loan now as they need a striker , would make sense for him as wouldn't have to move.

They wanted him in Jan but there is bad blood at boardroom level over the Olympic Stadium give away.
I recall that also but perhaps Levy if he can get the wages covered will relent now ?

Keita (Lazio) looks very good in his video's and his stats from last season are pretty decent.

He's been linked to some pretty big clubs so not sure on this one.

Plus he's likely to cost another 8-9 mil. Imagine him and Traore on either wing and Grealish as the 10...

• Like 2

I'd guess if we dont get Adebayor they will give Kozak a go as the back up to Rudy.

I for one am not too worried about that. I think with the players we have now they will create chances and while he does have limitations he looks a decent finisher to me.

Been talk West Ham are looking at Adebayor on loan now as they need a striker , would make sense for him as wouldn't have to move.

They wanted him in Jan but there is bad blood at boardroom level over the Olympic Stadium give away.
I recall that also but perhaps Levy if he can get the wages covered will relent now ?

Yeah one or both clubs may be willing to shift their stance as they get more desperate but can't imagine either side being too willing to blink.

Tonev and N'Zogbia don't deserve second chances. They deserve to be cast into the fiery pits of Small Heath.

Where there is weeping and gnashing of tooth (singular).

Like the image Ponk, but is it technically possible to 'gnash' a single tooth?