Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

http://blogg.fotbollskanalen.se/hyllman/2015/08/13/special-aston-villa-2015-16/

this dude hates us ^^.

Some of his quotes (for those who can't be bothered with google translate):

"Sommaren har varit såväl bedrövlig som demoraliserande för Aston Villa."

-The summer has been both terrible and demoralizing for Aston Villa

"Efter den sämsta transfersommaren i mannaminne så är det inte mycket som talar för Aston Villa."

-After the worst transfer window in living history there isn't much to be seen in Aston Villa's favor.

"Det finns den här säsongen inga större illusioner om att det skulle vara något annat än att rädda sig från en nedflyttningsstrid som skulle vara aktuellt för Aston Villa"

-This season there are no illusions suggesting that Aston Villa are in for anything other than a relegation dog-fight.

I know I shouldn't care, but goddam..

• Like 3

£32.5m for Benteke was a great piece of business by the club, and it's the kind of strategy that we have to embrace in order to move forward. Should Amavi move on in a couple of years for £20m, then we need to embrace it, re-invest and build again. There's a lesson to be learnt here.

I think we should put £32.5m release clauses in every players contracts. 

• Like 2

http://blogg.fotbollskanalen.se/hyllman/2015/08/13/special-aston-villa-2015-16/

this dude hates us ^^.

Some of his quotes (for those who can't be bothered with google translate):

"Sommaren har varit såväl bedrövlig som demoraliserande för Aston Villa."

-The summer has been both terrible and demoralizing for Aston Villa

"Efter den sämsta transfersommaren i mannaminne så är det inte mycket som talar för Aston Villa."

-After the worst transfer window in living history there isn't much to be seen in Aston Villa's favor.

"Det finns den här säsongen inga större illusioner om att det skulle vara något annat än att rädda sig från en nedflyttningsstrid som skulle vara aktuellt för Aston Villa"

-This season there are no illusions suggesting that Aston Villa are in for anything other than a relegation dog-fight.

I know I shouldn't care, but goddam..

That is remarkable. I kind of like it.

£32.5m for Benteke was a great piece of business by the club, and it's the kind of strategy that we have to embrace in order to move forward. Should Amavi move on in a couple of years for £20m, then we need to embrace it, re-invest and build again. There's a lesson to be learnt here.

Gana's clearly said he's using us as a springboard to one of the big clubs in a couple of years.  I'm fine with it.  

The way I see it:  

Worst case - the new boys are all duds and we go down.  (Given players like Di Maria, Falcao, Cuadrado etc haven't made it, that could happen).

Middle case - we have a few crackers, they keep us up / bottom half and eventually go for big cash and we try again.

Best case - most of them work out, with a few crackers.  We are up amongst the europa challengers > have more income > are more attractive to better players, so that even if the best go onto CL clubs, we can replace at a better level than we can now (eg 15-20m players instead of 8-12m).  And the virtuous circle continues!

We're realistically not going to be anything other than a selling club again, but can strive to be in the top tier of selling clubs over the next few years.

• Like 2

Don't know about you, but i strongly feel we could do with a 3rd Keita Balde Diao thread

Now you mention it, I did see something in the Metro about him.
  • Like 1

Gana's clearly said he's using us as a springboard to one of the big clubs in a couple of years. I'm fine with it.

The way I see it:

Worst case - the new boys are all duds and we go down. (Given players like Di Maria, Falcao, Cuadrado etc haven't made it, that could happen).

Middle case - we have a few crackers, they keep us up / bottom half and eventually go for big cash and we try again.

Best case - most of them work out, with a few crackers. We are up amongst the europa challengers > have more income > are more attractive to better players, so that even if the best go onto CL clubs, we can replace at a better level than we can now (eg 15-20m players instead of 8-12m). And the virtuous circle continues!

We're realistically not going to be anything other than a selling club again, but can strive to be in the top tier of selling clubs over the next few years.

That last line is a great way of describing the situation. There is a chance we could compete for the title of 'best of the rest' in the next couple of years. If the club does things well. Due the a combination of a low wage base, high transfer income and more TV money on the horizon, we are well positioned to really kick on, if we get the transfer policy right.

In the longer term, there is a chance we could achieve more, but that requires outside influences to go in our favour as well as successful management. I do think the league is becoming increasingly competitive season after season, which makes things harder in one way, but may present unexpected opportunities in another.

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 2

People saying we are realistically just going to be a selling club aren't virtually all clubs selling clubs? It's the amount above you that counts. De Gea to Madrid Suarez to Barca Luis to PSG it's how you deal with players moving on that makes the difference.

• Like 2

People saying we are realistically just going to be a selling club aren't virtually all clubs selling clubs? It's the amount above you that counts. De Gea to Madrid Suarez to Barca Luis to PSG it's how you deal with players moving on that makes the difference.

...Adama to Villa

Seemingly not wanting to lose out to local rivals, West Brom have rather coincidentally been chasing quite a few Aston Villa targets this summer.

The latest is reportedly West Ham reject Morgan Amalfitano, who is currently training with the London club’s reserves, as L’Equipe claim both Midlands clubs are vying for the Frenchman’s signature.

Amalfitano is reportedly on his way out at Upton Park after falling out with Slaven Bilic, and both Tony Pulis and Tim Sherwood are interested in his services.

Aston Villa won the last battle, with West Brom scout Louis-Jean Matthieu admitting to L'Equipe that the club wanted Jordan Amavi and Idrissa Gueye but had to stall those pursuits after a manager change.

On Wednesday HLN in Belgian said Dennis Praet was disappointed Aston Villa hadn't come back in for him because he'd prefer a move there over West Brom.

Seemingly not wanting to lose out to local rivals, West Brom have rather coincidentally been chasing quite a few Aston Villa targets this summer.

The latest is reportedly West Ham reject Morgan Amalfitano, who is currently training with the London club’s reserves, as L’Equipe claim both Midlands clubs are vying for the Frenchman’s signature.

Amalfitano is reportedly on his way out at Upton Park after falling out with Slaven Bilic, and both Tony Pulis and Tim Sherwood are interested in his services.

Aston Villa won the last battle, with West Brom scout Louis-Jean Matthieu admitting to L'Equipe that the club wanted Jordan Amavi and Idrissa Gueye but had to stall those pursuits after a manager change.

On Wednesday HLN in Belgian said Dennis Praet was disappointed Aston Villa hadn't come back in for him because he'd prefer a move there over West Brom.

Are you practicing a career in the tabloids ?

• Like 4

To be fair though they did get Rickie Lambert, so I'd say it's honours even...

:-)

Don't know about you, but i strongly feel we could do with a 3rd Keita Balde Diao thread

Now you mention it, I did see something in the Metro about him.
Until I see someone on Twitter claiming to know someone linked to the deal who's confirmed it, I refuse to believe it.

Failing that, I'll go on Holiday in football manager and see if he ends up here.

• Like 1