Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

More excited about the Keita links than I am about the Praet ones. To have to exciting wide players will make such a difference to our squad. 

We really don't need him, in my opinion, and I would actually be disappointed to see another attacking midfield player coming in. We have more than enough at the moment. If we are to strengthen anywhere else, it has to be CB and/or CF, anything else would be detrimental now. Too many cooks and all that.

We're actually getting to the stage where we're looking to replace Ayew from the starting line up! Our most expensive summer signing.

Totally get where you are coming from but I just really want us to be greedy. Like Southampton last season when they had Tadic, Mane, Djuricic and Elia in the squad and we had CNZ in our starting 11. Made me feel sick.

I'm happy that the squad is being rebuilt with decent players but we've seen too often how when a club loses its star player it takes a step back, and taking a step back from our position means disaster. We may be stronger as a whole but it'll take a while for this team to peak, time which teams don't really have anymore. Our priority now is to replace Benteke's goals and match winning ability.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

I actually think we would have bored all these players even if we hadn't sold Benteke. Maybe not Gestede and Ayew but the rest. This is why I think there is still money to spend.

They watched us play under McLeish and Lambert then 

• Like 1

I'm happy that the squad is being rebuilt with decent players but we've seen too often how when a club loses its star player it takes a step back, and taking a step back from our position means disaster. We may be stronger as a whole but it'll take a while for this team to peak, time which teams don't really have anymore. Our priority now is to replace Benteke's goals and match winning ability.

Even if it took until January for the team to click we will still pick up points along the way and be well clear of any danger at the end of the season. Form is temporary, class is permanent etc...

Personally I reckon this lot will be pulling up trees by Oct/Nov.

I know it couldn't have happened, but imagine benteke in this new team. I'd say top 8.

Imagine Gestede in this team. Top 4. 

Everytime i read 'Gestede' I hear it in my head in a Sean Connery accent!

• Like 2

I hope the team clicks like Southampton's last year, doesn't always take a lot of time.

I'm just glad they put the release clause in Benteke's contract as otherwise we'd still be haggling now with Liverpool holding out to get him for £25m on the last day and we'd not be able to get anyone in. It's why this talk of release clauses and buy back clauses doesn't really worry me so much, at least everyone knows where they stand. I'd be interested to see what's been written into the new signings' contracts.

• Like 3

£32,5m for Benteke was a great sale. He's a great player and he'll score goals for Liverpool but we're doing so much with that money. I think it's also important that our team gets a new identity and all that talk about losers by Sherwood was right. I think there are exciting times ahead with Sherwood, Almstad and Fox at the helm - I mean signing a prodigy from Barcelona is something I never thought I'd see at Aston Villa football club.

I'm actually glad that we sold Benteke and Delph now.

Ditto

Delph i couldn't care less about, but i'll believe the Benteke statement if we actually score goals to replace the 45% he contributed himself

I'm actually glad that we sold Benteke and Delph now.

Ditto

Delph i couldn't care less about, but i'll believe the Benteke statement if we actually score goals to replace the 45% he contributed himself

Id like to think we'll score at least 15 more goals in the league this season than last.

£32.5m for Benteke was a great piece of business by the club, and it's the kind of strategy that we have to embrace in order to move forward. Should Amavi move on in a couple of years for £20m, then we need to embrace it, re-invest and build again. There's a lesson to be learnt here.

• Like 3