Defence

sexbelowsound

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

So what will we do about this? I honestly think we need 3-4 new defenders 

We can get 3 or 4 new defenders, fine, we’ve done that a number of times over the past few years!

We still would need to get them to work as a defence though.

That seems to be the hard bit.

I still think midfield is the problem. They simply don't protect the defence enough, any defence is going to look worse than it is when they get no protection. It's alarming how easy teams can cut through us. It's been an issue since we broke up the Stan/Jimmy partnership. The spine of the team is weak.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So in December we had 2 first team centre backs at the club, we now have 5!! Still haven’t got that elusive left back in though.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see us going with a back 3 at some point...then we could have Elmo at Rwb, which is probably his best position as he doesn’t have to beat a man like a winger, can cross from deep and when he pushes them inside which he is prone to do, they would then still have cover there. The problem would be the left side, but green does work hard and Taylor has played there before, where again he wouldn’t be too isolated. 

You could then have a midfield two (if we’ve got Fer, him and McGinn would be ideal), with Jack behind two strikers, or a midfield three with Jack behind one striker. 

As it stands now, with us having played 1 more game than most other teams we have the 2nd worst defensive record in the league.

49 shipped in 31 games.

Only bottom of the league Ipswich are worse with 51 in 30.

Still cant fathom we didn't sort out the full back situation in January 

• 1 month later...

As we now have a little break and we’ve just picked up our third clean sheet in the past two weeks, here’s a little look at some defensive stats pre Smith and since he took over. I believe these are correct.

Before Smith (12 games)

No. of goals conceded = 20 Compared to the rest of the league - Joint 22nd out 24.

No. of clean sheets = 1 

Only 1 team had fewer clean sheets - Sheff Wednesday. There were 5 other teams that also had 1 clean sheet in that period.

Since Smith (26 games)

No. of goals conceded = 34 Compared to the rest of the league - 12th out of 24.

No. of clean sheets = 9

Since Smith took over, only 3 teams have recorded more clean sheets - Sheff Utd (13) Stoke (11) and strangely Sheff Wednesday (11- 5 of those are since Bruce took over for those wondering). There are 2 other teams that have also recorded 9 clean sheets since Smith took over.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

3 and a bit games with same back 4 and just 1 fluky goal conceded. Probably our longest period of the season with the same defence 

Best defensive unit we have had since we got relegated. In fact I would say this defence is better than the one wd had in our last two seasons in Premier league 

A great pairing Mings and Hause at the mo, been a pleasure to watch of late. Great camaraderie between them too.

But is there a case of overplaying at times? Hause got away with one yesterday. Mings does about 3 or 4 turns per game in and around our box. Just worried we may be caught out and punished soon. If i was an opposing manager id be telling the striker not to buy Mings faints to clear. 

But i suppose you cant have this refreshing build from the back, ball on the deck play if you dont take the odd risk. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, turvontour said:

A great pairing Mings and Hause at the mo, been a pleasure to watch of late. Great camaraderie between them too.

But is there a case of overplaying at times? Hause got away with one yesterday. Mings does about 3 or 4 turns per game in and around our box. Just worried we may be caught out and punished soon. If i was an opposing manager id be telling the striker not to buy Mings faints to clear. 

But i suppose you cant have this refreshing build from the back, ball on the deck play if you dont take the odd risk. 

This is a worthy point. It looks great and Mings makes his opponents look poor, but I think Dean should tell him to wind it down a tad.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope all is well with hause and mings, both seemed in injured at points yesterday.

It has to be remembered just how little football these have played prior to this period. It's not surprising their bodies will start to feel it.

Would be sensible to rest both for games over the next few. We are really lucky to have a player such as tuanzebe to rotate with them, need to take advantage of it.

Keep them all fit and firing!

• 1 month later...

Maybe I am missing somebody but at moment we only have Elmo, Bree, Taylor, Guilbert and Chester on the books

I think Cahill and Mings be a good partnership if went with him and Hause as 4th defender would make me happy going into the season

Mings is a naturally left sided CB, so we need a right sided CB as his first choice partner.

Mings\Tuanzebe

Mings\Konsa

Mings\Tomori

Three potentially good partnerships.

I know Mings is still Bournemouth's player, but I'm convinced we will sign him.

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

Mings is a naturally left sided CB, so we need a right sided CB as his first choice partner.

Mings\Tuanzebe

Mings\Konsa

Mings\Tomori

Three potentially good partnerships.

I know Mings is still Bournemouth's player, but I'm convinced we will sign him.

Tuanzebe would be amazing but not likely. We have Hause lined up apparently so that's a plus, get the Mings deal over the line and we need 2 CBs, if one is a Cahill not on crazy wages I'd go for a youngster with potential. Assuming Chester isn't broken completely we *might* squeak through a season just getting Konsa in, making Chester the old head and Hause also backup/left back.

Still sounds a bit thin to me though, would like a proper starting left back, so Elmo and Taylor end up as cover, with added Hause on the left if needed.

Continuity would come with Mings, Hause and Chester to some extent. Full pre-season should be enough to work out how we're going to make it work with the new personnel. 

I agree Tuanzebe is unlikely. Ezri Konsa is definitely gettable but wouldn't come cheap. Tomori may be kept by Chelsea due to their transfer embargo. Schindler from Huddersfield would be rock solid CB cover  (wouldn't cost a lot) given the doubt over Chester's long term fitness.

Mings, Konsa, Hause, Schindler with Chester in the background would cover our CB requirements.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I agree Tuanzebe is unlikely. Ezri Konsa is definitely gettable but wouldn't come cheap. Tomori may be kept by Chelsea due to their transfer embargo. Schindler from Huddersfield would be rock solid CB cover  (wouldn't cost a lot) given the doubt over Chester's long term fitness.

Mings, Konsa, Hause, Schindler with Chester in the background would cover our CB requirements.

Have we been linked to Konsa or Schindler  or is who you’d like to see? 

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Have we been linked to Konsa or Schindler  or is who you’d like to see? 

It's personal preference. I've done a lot of browsing about players who might fit our needs, and Konsa and Schindler would both do a job for us imo.

Konsa is going to be a hot property in a couple of years and would suit a four year contract as he's 21. He's really mobile and technically gifted for a CB. He's definitely available for the because he's another player from the Brentford assembly line, but he wont be cheap!

Schindler is 29, but he's proven his fitness by playing practically every match for Huddersfield (as captain) in the last couple of seasons. He was their player of the season again, and is a tough unyielding CB who would bring recent Premier experience. A two year contract would be ideal.

Tomori was Derby's player of the season, and looked effective every time I saw him. He's quick for a CB, comfortable on the ball and a bit of a unit. Chelsea might be tempted to sell him .... 12 million was the figure I saw recently. He's another player who would be suitable for a four year contract as he's still only 21.

• Thanks 1

Â