Defence

sexbelowsound

46 minutes ago, Zatman said:

From the highlights Rotherham had one chance which looked like Chester was missing from the back 4 and Rotherham player hit side netting. Except for that it looked like a walk in the park

May well have been a mental thing given our recent results but it didn't feel like that (to me at least) when watching it. 

Felt like we were inevitably waiting for the equaliser and I'm pretty sure they had one other really good chance that didn't make the highlights for some reason. Good block from I think Chester. Actually thinking about it there was a header from Wood which missed by an inch that also didn't make the highlights. 

In truth we had some chances to put the game away ourselves but second half was classic Villa. No urgency (except from McGinn) to get the goal to put it to bed. Defense in the main did OK. But Rotherham I thought were pretty pants going forward even though they did try to give it a go. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Yeah, he still looks shite though. Welded to the goal line. 

Thought he did ok today actually, distribution especially. Hutton had a good game, Chester looks flustered as he's doing 1.5 times the wotk he should be having to do with Jedi in there IMO. Jedi is great 1v1 in the air, ok 1v1 contesting a 50:50, his positioning isn't great though and he doesn't have the speed to recover.

• Like 1

We miss Terry massively. Not just off the pitch but on the pitch as well. 

Our defence has gone to shit this year as there is no leader in there. 

• Like 2

On 22/09/2018 at 22:11, Zatman said:

Chester goes for walks though. Many times today Jedinak was only central defender there

The reason this happens is because Jedinak either has the wrong positioning or he tries to intercept the ball without safety, thus Chester ends up being dragged out of position. 

On 19/09/2018 at 10:22, Zatman said:

1st clean sheet of season in the league? 

We have conceded too many goals this season but hope this is start of building block

Right now.....We can't defend.....We are almost like when he first joined us.

Edited by TRO

• 2 weeks later...

18 shipped in 11 league games.

That's just wow!

Even looking at this lopsided squad and neglected defense at the start of the season I could never imagine it would be this bad.

So playing a back four of four right backs isn't the answer? Looks like our 'buy all the right backs' transfer policy wasn't so wise afterall. Who'd have thought. 

Edited by villa89

How does Chester get away with abuse again. He is like teflon. Not first penalty he has conceded this season and is an accident waiting to happen

If Micah Richards or Lescott was never Villa captain then Chester would be the worst we have had

Â