Defence

sexbelowsound

Something else that wasn't planned for. When Terry left who was going to carry on the organising and discipline at the back? Perfect opportunity for one of the younger players to be coached and trained with Terry to bring him in to the first team. Or at least have players lined up to bring in. I know we had difficulties at the start of the summer but number one priority should have been who's going to replace Terry at the back once he leaves? Looks like we're still trying to work that one out. In the meantime the youngsters are out on loan and Elphick is out on loan too.

When you need to score 4 goals to beat the bottom team at home then you have a problem. Some people say we don't score enough and thats where our problems lie. 

That's clearly not the problem. We score every week. Yesterday we scored 3 and still can't win.

For all the reasons to sack Bruce, his inability to recognise and solve our defensive problems is the main one. For a man who spent his entire playing career as a defender, it beggars belief that he has assembled one of the most expensive sides in the Championship and yet we are so poor at the back. 

• Thanks 1

On 03/10/2018 at 06:07, villan_007 said:

Is Collins still training with us? We desperately need to offer some free agent a short contract. Just to have an actual defender in the ranks would plug a hole till Jan window opens.

We need someone in urgently, be it Terry or Collins. Someone who knows what they are doing and can organise the others and instil a bit of do or die. Our defence at the moment is a disgrace, thanks to Bruce and Co. We will be fighting a relegation battle if we don’t plug it ASAP.

Why the hell was no one questioning Bruce about the defence. 

We were ALWAYS going to have suspensions and 8njuries like, we've committed suicide with the state of our central defence. 

I just can't understand how no one was asking questions. 

One week before the window closed we should have just got someone in, even a £500k league one player as back up just to have numbers in there. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why the hell was no one questioning Bruce about the defence. 

We were ALWAYS going to have suspensions and 8njuries like, we've committed suicide with the state of our central defence. 

I just can't understand how no one was asking questions. 

One week before the window closed we should have just got someone in, even a £500k league one player as back up just to have numbers in there. 

It's almost criminal.  The only defender we bring in is Tuanzebe who based on last season you wouldn't think is capable of playing centre half, plus we have two loan players in El Ghazi and that other keeper who can't even get in the squad and waste a couple of loan spots.  Not to mention the number of unattached centre halves that are knocking about.  It's so **** simple, I'm almost shaking with rage at the utter stupidity.

• Like 2

Well at least everyone got an answer to the questions about what happens when Jedinak is injured or Chester gets suspended etc. :rolleyes:

We have 1 decent centre back, who is kind of better suited to being the 'partner' rather than the 'main man'
We loaned a kid off Man Utd who has a lot to learn
We have an ageing Jedinak
We had Bree at right back today after he was centre back the other night because our other right back who played at left back the other night played at centre back today
Our other rightback played right midfield today
Our only left back played at left back

There were NO defensive subs on the bench

What a shit-show.

• Haha 2

We are in a mess at the back, but you look at other teams and when the squad looks bare they look to the youth rather than this patchwork approach we have going on.

Whoever the new manager is he needs to promote someone up, decide who his 3/4 centre back options are until January and stick with it.

If you pick a youth player or 2 give them a chance, pick a set back four, with set back up options(across the whole back 4) that can play every week and keep doing basic drills all week so they know what eachother should actually be doing when push comes to shove and we will look better in short order.

At the moment CDM's and RB's that have different instincts to CB are just making creating a solid back 4 harder.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

I’d honestly give Collins a go now next to Chester and change things in January. 

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I can feel it coming in the air tonight, Oh Lord. 

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

To be fair we did sign Jacob Bedeau for twice that amount almost 2 years ago, and have other players at the club who could play and are better than a £500k league one defender in our youth team.. but Bruce would rather play his favourites out of position than give youth a chance. 

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I blame that French bloke who went back to France for the night to decide whether or not to ruin my year.

I wonder if he will have a change of heart in January if Henry becomes our manager?

18 hours ago, thejoker said:

I wonder if he will have a change of heart in January if Henry becomes our manager?

Good point. 

Â