Defence

sexbelowsound

I think if we can get our targets and start next season with

Butland

Guilbert   Mings   Webster    Targett

DM 

then I think we will do well. If Guilbert isn’t quite up to it then maybe keep Elmo as starting right back, I rate him highly anyway, but I would imagine that Guilbert has been bought to start. If we don’t get a new keeper I would start the season with Jed and see where we go. 

Desperately need a top class CB alongside Mings imo especially with Chester probably not got the fitness for top level anymore.

What I'd like is guy who's played 20-50 times already for his country and played in major euro league for 2-3 seasons. Mellberg and Laursen both qualified for that criteria when we signed them as did Vlaar. Also Dunne (although longevity obviously an issue there).

It looks a very young line up for the top level especially if it's Steer in goal, need an old head to organise things.

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Desperately need a top class CB alongside Mings imo especially with Chester probably 

What I'd like is guy who's played 20-50 times already for his country and played in major euro league for 2-3 seasons. Mellberg and Laursen both qualified for that criteria when we signed them as did Vlaar. Also Dunne (although longevity obviously an issue there)..

Dunne played more league games for Villa than Vlaar or Laursen

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He was generally awful after 09-10. Pretty much the opposite to Laursen who played a bit in 04/05 but only became colossus from 2007-08, only year he stayed fully fit.

Vlaar was reasonably solid through the many injuries up to 2014.

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I had to check that because I couldn't believe Dunne had played more games for us than Laursen 

What an astonishing fact.  

32 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I had to check that because I couldn't believe Dunne had played more games for us than Laursen 

What an astonishing fact.  

Laursen played about 5 games in 04/05 and 05/06 seasons. Even in 06/07 he missed about half of the season with two seperate injuries.

Dunne was regular up to xmas in 2010 before he was exiled for three months under Houllier. Then was back to first choice in McLeish season up to doing his shoulder against Man. City in February. Missed all of 12/13 through injury.

• 2 weeks later...

If Engels goes through we have

RB. Elmo, Guilbert, Bree

LB. Targett, Taylor, 

CB. Hause, Mings, Engels, Chester, Konsa

Should be enough especially in a 25 man squad unless Chester is really ****. Bree is maybe the only player I imagine be on the move if any

• 3 weeks later...

Newly promoted club with a virtually new team will always struggle at times.

But with a back 4 of Targett, Mings, Engels and Guilbert, protected by Luiz in front of them I think we'll be fine-ish.

Honestly still more worried if we have enough goals in the team.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Newly promoted club with a virtually new team will always struggle at times.

But with a back 4 of Targett, Mings, Engels and Guilbert, protected by Luiz in front of them I think we'll be fine-ish.

Honestly still more worried if we have enough goals in the team.

Yeah I completely agree that needs to be our back 4 and DM.

I think we really need another wide option and another striker option.

I think if we added benrahma and another striker it's about as good as we can get for this season.

With that rear guard 5 you mentioned, and then Mcginn, Grealish, Wesley, jota and then either El Ghazi or trez, we should be ok?

I really think jota adds a good dimension to the team, we play very differently when he is in the team, we are much more fluid.

That might also be down to having targett and Guilbert also though, when we play our first 11 we look good, it's the backups that look really poor for me, like green, Taylor, hourihane, davis etc.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, sne said:

If it turns out that Taylor and Elmo are the 2 best full backs at the club then we will find ourselves in the relegation spots when the January window opens.

The weirdest thing is I thought Guilbert had a great pre season, and I thought targett had a decent pre season where you could see potential.

They need to be in the team asap imo.

Starting to become more and more solid. The way Heaton and Mings ran and hugged on the final whistle against Everton was incredible. First clean sheet, hopefully the first of many.

I think Heaton, Mings and Engels pick themselves if fit. Guilbert player so well against Everton that I would start him too. Taylor has been very solid too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Once Taylor is dropped the team can really start to play and gel. Doug will have more options and can start to launch moves.

Really? I think he’s be very good so far. Solid left back. If he was a new signing I think we’d all be waxing lyrical 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Really? I think he’s be very good so far. Solid left back. If he was a new signing I think we’d all be waxing lyrical 

He's killing any chance we have of being competent in possession. Smith going slowly with introduction of new fullbacks but it's been an error for me.

We wouldn't have beaten Everton without Freddie G and we would have got something out of Bournemouth with him and Targett both in.

Â