Defence

sexbelowsound

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Taylor was obviously an issue today. Just a poor footballer. But Engels and Mings have dropped off in quality. The second goal is as much on them as anyone else. 

Yes

I thought Engels had his poorest game today.....passive as opposed to Dominant.....and Mings never escaped either.

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Taylor was obviously an issue today. Just a poor footballer. But Engels and Mings have dropped off in quality. The second goal is as much on them as anyone else. 

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yes

I thought Engels had his poorest game today.....passive as opposed to Dominant.....and Mings never escaped either.

To be honest I can't decide about the two goals, in the sense of would we have conceded them if Taylor wasn't on the pitch?

The first goal he got out manouvered and out jumped, the second he was sold the simplest of dummies and jumped in the air like a 12 year old would.

Would targett have missed both those also?, the CB pairing didn't help for the second goal, but I'm not sure we would have lost if it weren't for Taylor, targett may habe failed in one scenario but not the second?, but also part of me thinks of tsrfrtt was on the pitch he would habe helped retain possession and not assisted in putting us in that situation?

Thought targett was really good.

So......would we have lost without Taylor?, no idea :)

wither way Taylor is a hindrance to the team, diabolical player.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

In a defence that was looking solid, shipping only 1 goal in 3 PL games, we have now let in 5 in 2 games.

As much as there is room for improvement in attack, it has been our defence that has cost us recently.

Taylor appears to be bearing the brunt of that (and he was poor against Burnley) but the hitherto excellent "Mingels" combination has been sloppy. They need to sort that out quickly.

• 4 months later...

Why we didn't get a Cahill style steady eddie CB in the summer or January is beyond me particularly with releasing Chester. Reina was the only one talking today. If CBs don't talk then you get occasions where you don't know if a Son or Moura is behind you and countless occasions they timed their runs and got through on goal which led to two goals.

Really wish we had signed a more experienced and composed CB in January. Even if just on loan.

Only Mings is ready to be a regular starter at this level and even he is making far too many mistakes.

• Like 1

As bad as our defence is, and it is really bad, the central midfielders don't help. 
With the exception of Nakamba (sometimes), teams just stroll through our midfield. We get so easily cut open from balls that are played in between our defence and midfield. Luiz, Drinkwater, Hourihane, even McGinn as he likes to get forward, are not the players to stop this.

We lack a Mings type player to sit in front of the back 4/5.

Not an excuse for our defence though, they're terrible as well. I mean, let's be honest, Hause couldn't get a game for us in the championship for the most part and now he plays every week. Konsa, whilst a good prospect, wasn't even Brentford's best defender in the championship last season and Engels comes from a mickey mouse league. What did we all expect seriously? This was always likely to happen. 

Sorry, don't want to turn this thread into a recruitment bashing area!

The defence is embarrassing quite frankly. So easy to pull apart and lacks pace which makes it even easier for teams with pace like Spurs or ones who move the ball quickly like Man City. In fact lets be honest they are pretty weak against all of the different types of team although i would argue that we are improving against thuggery teams like Watford & Burnley since going three at the back but the problem is there are not many of those in the Prem.

• 3 weeks later...

So we are now exactly 20 goals away from conceding the same amount of goals as we did when we went down.. 56 conceded so far, 76 was the number we conceded when we went down.. I’ve got a feeling we will get close or even breach that number by the end of the season..

On 17/02/2020 at 11:56, Delphinho123 said:

As bad as our defence is, and it is really bad, the central midfielders don't help. 
With the exception of Nakamba (sometimes), teams just stroll through our midfield. We get so easily cut open from balls that are played in between our defence and midfield. Luiz, Drinkwater, Hourihane, even McGinn as he likes to get forward, are not the players to stop this.

We lack a Mings type player to sit in front of the back 4/5.

Not an excuse for our defence though, they're terrible as well. I mean, let's be honest, Hause couldn't get a game for us in the championship for the most part and now he plays every week. Konsa, whilst a good prospect, wasn't even Brentford's best defender in the championship last season and Engels comes from a mickey mouse league. What did we all expect seriously? This was always likely to happen. 

Sorry, don't want to turn this thread into a recruitment bashing area!

What? 

He's a major reason why we are so **** terrible at the back. 

Â