Defence

sexbelowsound

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Taylor is utterly dreadful.

Smith will be in my bad books straight away if Taylor gets back in the team ;) 

Maybe with a bit of coaching during training as opposed to "right lads, touch your toes and reach to the sky 20 times then give me 5 laps."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Taylor is utterly dreadful.

Oh i don't disagree mate, I'm not a fan. 

I just think that 2/3 right footed players on the left slows everything down, and i wimder if this may come into Smiths thinking?

Either way i think getting a LB in January should (along with a CB) be a high priority.

Interesting stuff about Micah Richards being back in training but being a couple of MONTHS away from fitness.

I imagine that’s optimistic. Petrov had cancer and worked his arse off to get back into the game and sadly fell just short of the required fitness levels. I imagine Petrov put in 300% more effort in just getting to training than Richards does in his entire training regime. The fact that someone recovering from cancer can get closer to our first team than this waster says everything  

Richards is done and any training he could be given would be better spent on literally anyone at any level of the Villa academy (and I really am not exaggerating when I say a player in our under 10s deserves any focus that Richards might otherwise get). Either release him or just let him stay at home. Don’t waste more resources on him than we are contractually obliged to. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 16/10/2018 at 13:38, sne said:

Agreed, problem is that Hutton has also been woeful this season.

Yep. Barring hull huttons been shit. I was against us offering him a new deal. Definitely release him in the summer 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/10/2018 at 17:06, av1 said:

Oh i don't disagree mate, I'm not a fan. 

I just think that 2/3 right footed players on the left slows everything down, and i wimder if this may come into Smiths thinking?

Either way i think getting a LB in January should (along with a CB) be a high priority.

I think he wants natural left footers there, makes sense he wants to play one and two touch, bring the oppositions press on and move it fast from the back to find the space behind. If you're waiting for a right footer to shift their body round and taking another couple of touches to get their feet right you can't play that way as effectively.

I think we need LB x 2 and CB x2 actually. Or get a LB and a CB in Jan and promote from the u23s.  Bedeau might be the closest but not sure who we have down the left.

• 1 month later...

34 shipped in 22 games is abysmal, one of the worst defensive records in the league.

Not surprising looking at our personal, but still.

Thank god we've changed our approach and are scoring for fun now but January can't come soon enough.

• Like 1

On 16/10/2018 at 13:38, sne said:

Agreed, problem is that Hutton has also been woeful this season.

Yes he’s has some very good moments and some poor moments but I’ll never get on a players back when he gives 100% for the team and the club. He’ll play for his badge to the very best of his ability and that will always keep me happy.

• Like 1

Said right from the start that I'd give Smith a free pass until after the January transfer window because just like Bruce was hamstrung by RDM's moronic decision to not have a midfield, Smith is by Bruce's to not have a defense.

With that said, Smith really has to drop Elmo and Hutton and use whatever pimply faced youngsters we might have rather than them because boy howdy do they stink up the place.

They are costing us time and time again, and while a youngster might learn something, even by making a mistake, these guys will never learn.

Not sure how many points Elmo and Hutton/Taylor has cost us this season but it FAR outweighs what Nyland has lost us. How people can justify blaming Nyland for Elmo literally putting the ball in the net and Taylor allowing everyone and his dog a shot with no pressure is beyond me. We've got decent youngsters who should be able to do a far better job than these three past-prime players.

Whatever people's opinion on individual players, we always have soft spots for certain players (I love Alan Hutton) , what is undeniable is that there is something seriously wrong with the defence. 

I trust Dean Smith to get it right but we need wholesale change and players people like are going to have to be replaced. 

The stats are horrendous, our defence is very poor. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Whatever people's opinion on individual players, we always have soft spots for certain players (I love Alan Hutton) , what is undeniable is that there is something seriously wrong with the defence. 

I trust Dean Smith to get it right but we need wholesale change and players people like are going to have to be replaced. 

The stats are horrendous, our defence is very poor. 

Absolutely agree. I really like Chester and Hutton for their work rate and flashes of brilliance, but they both have to go. 

I got no problem with Chester and Axel as centre half pairing but we desperately need cover.  Somebody that is good enough to compete for a start even when Chester and Axel are fit. 

Then we need at the very least a left back to go straight in to the team.  

It’s going to be an important transfer window. 

Ive got no problem with Elphick being recalled if Axel is out for a long time. He came in around the same time last season and played well against Boro and Bristol city. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I got no problem with Chester and Axel as centre half pairing but we desperately need cover.  Somebody that is good enough to compete for a start even when Chester and Axel are fit. 

Ive got no problem with Elphick being recalled if Axel is out for a long time. He came in around the same time last season and played well against Boro and Bristol city. 

Midgets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Play the second goal back again, and its not a one off, it happens a lot.

Its glaringly obvious.....We need more than Cover, we need domination of that position particularly in the air......2 new Centre Backs, Chester should be the cover.

I like Axel, but doubt we will see him again.

• Like 1

Â