Defence

sexbelowsound

I think if we were to be in the Championship next season, we'd have the following players as part of our defence:

Starting:

xxxxxxxx--------xxxxxxxxx-------Chester-------xxxxxxxxx

Back up:

Bree--------------xxxxxxxxxx-----xxxxxxxxx----------Taylor

That's a shocking position to be in. Between now and the beginning of next season, we need six defenders, minimum.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TRO said:

Play the second goal back again, and its not a one off, it happens a lot.

Its glaringly obvious.....We need more than Cover, we need domination of that position particularly in the air......2 new Centre Backs, Chester should be the cover.

I like Axel, but doubt we will see him again.

This is the kind of thing I was meaning with my earlier post. 

I also think that Chester and Axel on the face of it seem a pretty good unit, but the goals conceded are undeniable. There is something not working about that pairing.  Maybe it's height as someone but I think probably something more fundamental. 

At least one needs to be relegated to the bench with someone better coming in. Probably both. 

I still feel the fullbacks are a bigger problem though. 

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think if we were to be in the Championship next season, we'd have the following players as part of our defence:

Starting:

xxxxxxxx--------xxxxxxxxx-------Chester-------xxxxxxxxx

Back up:

Bree--------------xxxxxxxxxx-----xxxxxxxxx----------Taylor

That's a shocking position to be in. Between now and the beginning of next season, we need six defenders, minimum.

I think some people think we don't need to replace that many, I'm in a different mind set to that and think nearly half our squad needs changing, can't go mounting a premiere promotion on what we have. They will end up  being sold anyway if we did get promoted, so may as well do it sooner rather than later and try bring in talent that is premiere capable.

The premiere clubs would have a field day with our defence, darn the championship clubs are having the time of there life with our defence, should be sorted in January though we will just have to wait and see but I hope we see the last of our current defenders come January.

• Like 1

I’ve said in another thread, I think that a big, physically imposing goalkeeper that commands the area will be a massive improvement. Hopefully Kalinic will prove to be a success and whilst he can’t solve all the problems at the back, his introduction could be a big step in the right direction. 

We still need plenty of new defenders though. 

• Like 1

Hard to tell from television, but we seem to play like there’s nobody in charge and there’s no communication.  The ball that Elmo poorly cleared while Nyland was stooping to pick up is a clear example but there are multiple others.  What’s frustrating to me is that should be pretty easy for JT to fix.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Hard to tell from television, but we seem to play like there’s nobody in charge and there’s no communication.  The ball that Elmo poorly cleared while Nyland was stooping to pick up is a clear example but there are multiple others.  What’s frustrating to me is that should be pretty easy for JT to fix.  

JT can't fix the players from making panic decisions. It comes from the spine.

• Like 1

Whilst the defence has been undeniabley poor all season it has had some pretty tought opposition since Smith took over.  Basically we’ve played all the best teams in the league. 

I expect them to be good enough to deal with  the teams we have coming up in the next month or at least until we can get a couple of players in. 

If they can’t then we are well and truly screwed for the season. 

40 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst the defence has been undeniabley poor all season it has had some pretty tought opposition since Smith took over.  Basically we’ve played all the best teams in the league. 

I expect them to be good enough to deal with  the teams we have coming up in the next month or at least until we can get a couple of players in. 

If they can’t then we are well and truly screwed for the season. 

Thats true....but most of the goals conceded are basic errors, not as the result of scintillating play.....that is the biggest worry, its just come from players getting in our faces in the main or showing a bit of intensity/urgency....we have had this problem for some time, but Bruce masked over it with numbers.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Thats true....but most of the goals conceded are basic errors, not as the result of scintillating play.....that is the biggest worry, its just come from players getting in our faces in the main or showing a bit of intensity/urgency....we have had this problem for some time, but Bruce masked over it with numbers.

As much as I love JT. He is very new to coaching. Maybe we need to get a more experienced defensive coach in. 

Either that or the players are just not good enough. 

14 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

He layed it out at there feet that final goal, it was like he gift wrapped them it and taking back handers for extra coin to throw a spanner in our works, the way he is playing is like we have a traitor in our midst.  Good job for us he's only playing rubbish and it's not the above or you could forget what the whisperers do in the walkin dead with heads on pikes,  it would be an elmo decapitation from fans lineing up for a lottery ticket.

In a way I feel sorry for Elmo and others, they have had some stick since long before Leeds game, thing is they're all trying, but let's face it I don't think some of our players are even championship quality let alone premiere. It's a shame because they have worked hard but it's clearly showing they're not rite for the two top English leagues, id say we have good amount of players who should be in the division down.

Edited by Dave-R

Doubt there is any division in any country where it's OK for a defender to head the ball back into the middle of the goal area in a situation like the last goal yesterday.

You'll get punished in Sunday league football for doing stuff like that.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, AVTuco said:

JT can't fix the players from making panic decisions. It comes from the spine.

I agree, but that’s not what I’m talking about.  I’m talking about lack of communication.  It’s a different problem and it should be fixable.  Oh, and better communication increases confidence which reduced panic.  They seem to have no idea what each other are up to.  

Edited by srsmithusa

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As much as I love JT. He is very new to coaching. Maybe we need to get a more experienced defensive coach in. 

Either that or the players are just not good enough. 

I thought this argument was put to bed already. It wasn't just Bruce. It's the players aswell, namely in defense. They need to be changed. The more the better.

Edited by AVTuco

• 3 weeks later...

It's not just the defence. Sure we could have dealt with balls in behind better but ultimately the issue is we are not controlling games, we have no midfielders who can protect, tackle, smell danger or track runners.

The issue stems from the middle of the park first and foremost.

• Like 1

Oh, and we are also asking defenders who are not used to passing the ball to pass the ball, and yet putting 5 players in front of them who don't ask for the ball and don't want the ball.
Christ, we don't even try move off our men for a long punt anymore.

Â