Defence

sexbelowsound

8 hours ago, LondonLax said:

That is quite an incredible stat and a testament to the coaching staff and the changes they implemented in the break. I also saw a poster who mentioned we only conceded 2 shots on target in our last 4 games (the 2 goals). 

It gives me a lot of confidence that our defence is not the area we need to focus on this off season. If we can find players who can control play further up the pitch and a striker who scores goals we will have a very different season next time out.  

Totally agree. I think maybe a young RB to get bedded in for when Elmo starts to wane other than that I think next season they should be better and stronger.

One aspect where our defending can improve is in the final 3rd. If we pressed better in the opposition half our defence wouldn't be under so much pressure.

• 1 month later...

Defence is a concern to me. I'm in the akward position where I rate Mings, Konsa and Targett (Cash I won't speak to much of yet), but at the same time I feel our defence looks kind of weak. Maybe it's our midfield contribution more than anything, but I'd love another top class CB to join. Maybe it's a coaching thing? 

Either way I hope they are coming together and get a solid understanding. It will be a tough test tonight. The Sheffield United forward line can be very tough and it's easy to underestimate the type of striker that bullies a defence for 90 minutes. 

I really hope they are up for it tonight, cause it will be much much tougher than people are expecting methinks. 

• Like 1

Personally I am more concerned about the defence than anywhere else. I think after the restart the defence only really solidified at the sacrifice of attacking intent, moreso than the players actually improved in the defence.

Hause with the exception of heading worries me. Mings and Konsa are generally decent but both have a mistake in them.

No clue what's happening with Engles. Maybe the change to 3 at the back last season exposed his weaknesses and led to confidence in him dropping by the management. So all in all of we have enough funds a central defender or a more robust defence minded midfielder will help. I still feel we may concede a fair few otherwise.

• Like 1

if the first two weeks are anything to go by it seems like teams have forgotten how to defend.  For a bottom half team its crucial to remain solid first before looking to out score teams.  Once you become hard to beat or break down the results will follow.   Its not pretty but its effective. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Looked fairly solid , Cash is definitely an upgrade on what we had , Konsa looks amazing, Ming's commanding as usual, Target did a job , think he might be the weakest of the 4 .

Bit concerned about that channel between Ming's and Target , at times Shef United came straight through them both .

Martinez is the keeper we have needed for years , commanding, shot stopper and can use his feet , when ya look at what keppa cost Chelsea and this guy looks so much better, great business

3 clean sheets in 5 league games if we go back towards the end of the last season and only 2 conceded (1 of which was a fluke deflection)

Defence looks solid. 

I am worried about if we get an injury to Mings or Konsa though

3 hours ago, Xela said:

3 clean sheets in 5 league games if we go back towards the end of the last season and only 2 conceded (1 of which was a fluke deflection)

Defence looks solid. 

I am worried about if we get an injury to Mings or Konsa though

Absolutely.

I think we need another decent CB for sure.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

What a difference a reliable, calm and vocal goalkeeper along with a dynamic midfield and hard working attacker does for the defense.

Mings and Konsa look a like becoming a really good CB partnership and while it's IMO too early to judge the full back situation the signs are promising as we are not allowing as many crosses as last season so far.

But most of all we seem to be more solid and cohesive as a team so far. Very early days and there will be ups and downs but it looks promising and Martinez looks to be an inspired signing. Such a massive upgrade.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sne said:

What a difference a reliable, calm and vocal goalkeeper along with a dynamic midfield and hard working attacker does for the defense.

Mings and Konsa look a like becoming a really good CB partnership and while it's IMO too early to judge the full back situation the signs are promising as we are not allowing as many crosses as last season so far.

But most of all we seem to be more solid and cohesive as a team so far. Very early days and there will be ups and downs but it looks promising and Martinez looks to be an inspired signing. Such a massive upgrade.

I think its hard to truly evaluate what a positive affect he has had on the team.

• 2 months later...

At the moment I dont think is a better defence in the league. Emi, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Targett and Luiz have been mainly brilliant this season and more impressive when one has dropped out then Elmo, Nakamba and Hause have covered brilliantly as well

I would have been laughed at a year ago for suggesting this but what a turnaround. Credit to players and coaches

• Like 3

Â