Defence

sexbelowsound

given that smith was a centre half and terry was an outstanding centre half what do they do in training? how can any side be this badly drilled from set pieces. leicester should have had 3-4 more goals from corners/crosses and we didn't learn at all. Its amazing how bad it is 

There was a very good piece from villa analytics around that our defence isnt the problem, it's that the midfield and forwards dont do hardly any defending (nakamaba aside), which puts far too much pressure on the defenders.

It's something discussed before and I think it's true.

We dont defend from the front or midfield properly, we invite pressure and dont cover the defence well .

I honestly think the defensive troubles are mostly down to the fact half the team doesnt help with defensive duties at all, all the half decent teams defence starts with the strikers, we dont start defending until 10 yards in front of the defence.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

There was a very good piece from villa analytics around that our defence isnt the problem, it's that the midfield and forwards dont do hardly any defending (nakamaba aside), which puts far too much pressure on the defenders.

We dont defend from the front or midfield properly, we invite pressure and dont cover the defence well .

I honestly think the defensive troubles are mostly down to the fact half the team doesnt help with defensive duties at all, all the half decent teams defence starts with the strikers, we dont start defending until 10 yards in front of the defence.

I think there's certainly a lot of truth in that, but the way we set up and act at set pieces has to fall on large parts on the defense.

Our defender has to do the lion part of picking up the CB's and strikers from the opponents, but they don't.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Spot on.  I've said for a while, but our midfield is not balanced.  Even when McGinn was in the team we didn't have enough energy to support attacks and defend.  We're far too fluid and our midfielders lack the required athleticism to get around the pitch. 

• Like 1

centre midfield is the issue, Nakamba has to run for 3 at times and the others cant press. Hourihane, Luiz, Lansbury and Drinkwater would probably take a week to complete a 4x100 metre relay

6 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Spot on.  I've said for a while, but our midfield is not balanced.  Even when McGinn was in the team we didn't have enough energy to support attacks and defend.  We're far too fluid and our midfielders lack the required athleticism to get around the pitch. 

It doesn't help when Guilbert has probably the worst game I have seen by a right back in 40 years of watching us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

It doesn't help when Guilbert has probably the worst game I have seen by a right back in 40 years of watching us.

I didn't watch the game (thankfully working late took me away!), but I've read others who have said the same.

For someone who didn't watch, how was he so bad?  The mistakes seem to highlight Reina more than anyone in reports I've read.

• 3 months later...

Jesus f***ing Christ. What the hell was that i just witnessed?

When you are parking the bus you aren't supposed to allow your opponent an unlimited amount of crosses. Stop crossing from happening in the first place.

We can't even defend when we are parking the bus.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, useless said:

This is actually quite sensational. Even with obvious weaknesses in comparing these numbers like for like, the tendency still show that

-we've done our homework in the break on how the team should defend better and we've managed to implement it too
-we have defensive resources already that are much better than the total number of goals against indicates
-younger players like Konsa coming into their own can really make Villa an even stronger unit in the coming seasons
-even with the summer bringing less investment in the squad than we hope for in our collective wet dreams, there are still reasons to be optimistic about the future.

UTV.

• Like 1

Honestly think people slating hause have to realise he is a big part of that key stat turn around even playing out of position. He wins all the corners and most of the crosses and that substantially reduces the number of shots we have conceded. And whilst he hasn't played for the last few games I think it should be clear to see that he was among the bargains of the season for only 3 million.

A good backup to mings and he will o ly get better as he improves with the ball at his feet and gets more experienced when making decisions. 

• Like 4

Remarkable improvement, and credit where it’s due to Dean and JT for the change.

Against Arsenal and West Ham you could really see the difference. Not just better from Konsa and Mings but the full-backs getting out and making crosses harder, helped by the wingers getting back, and the likes of Hourihane busting a lung to close down centrally. It was crucial to us staying up.

(Still reckon we can improve on our centre backs, mind.)

That is quite an incredible stat and a testament to the coaching staff and the changes they implemented in the break. I also saw a poster who mentioned we only conceded 2 shots on target in our last 4 games (the 2 goals). 

It gives me a lot of confidence that our defence is not the area we need to focus on this off season. If we can find players who can control play further up the pitch and a striker who scores goals we will have a very different season next time out.  

Â