2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

Sky say that the American party are a "group of businessmen". So I guess we are looking beyond the obvious individual billionaires as we did last summer. Somebody suggested Cain Hoy who were linked to a takeover of Tottenham not that long ago. Who knows.

The sale of Aston Villa has moved closer with the granting of exclusive negotiations to an unnamed bidder, with early favourite Paul Smith understood to be no longer in the frame.

Exclusivity grants a bidder sole rights to deal with Villa's American owner Randy Lerner for up to six weeks.

However, former Chelsea executive Smith has not managed to land exclusivity, BBC Sport's Pat Murphy understands.

The identity of the new front-runner has been kept a close secret.

Both parties have signed non-disclosure agreements.

Exclusivity allows only the bidding party to submit a formal bid after due diligence. If Lerner is happy with the amount offered, then the bidder has up to six weeks to complete the deal.

It means the club could now be sold before the start of the new Premier League season.

Until that six-week period is over, no other interested party can get involved.

Smith, who offered around £150m, could come back into the running if the exclusivity period passes without a bid being accepted by Lerner.

The American was seeking a sale price of £200m when he put Villa up for sale a year ago.

Lerner bought Villa for £55m in September 2006 and his financial outlay on the club is estimated at around £300 million.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33053539

• Like 1

I think so Simon. Hopefully the due diligence turns out OK, and I also hope that whoever it is doesn't need 6 weeks to complete the deal, because we could do without the uncertainty during what could be a defining summer for us, whoever owns the club. 

Am I right in thinking that entering into exclusivity essentially means that Lerner has agreed a sale in all but the final checks and papers; that agreement is no longer an obstacle, only accounts?

It sounds like that. The key thing is that it means this is the party Lerner has chosen ahead of the others. So the others are out of the running while they try and finalise a deal.

Isnt going into due diligance not more or less dotting the i's and stroking the t's. I.e they have proved to the current proriator that they have the will and means to purchase.

• Like 1

Hopefully Randy has made a decision that is for the good of the club and not for the good of his pocket. He's already made a a good amount of money back if it goes through.

He seems to like the club so I'm sure he'd only give us over to someone with a lot of enthusiasm and money to invest...

... Right?

There has to be something in this. The way all news outlets are reporting it suggests that they all can't be trusting the word of Percy. 

Hmmmmmm. This seems more legitimate than the previous times its been brought up. Maybe its because so many media outlets are picking up on it?

Beat me to it :D 

• Like 1

Â