2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

I just hope this isn't an anti climax and its Paul Smiths group...

dont drink dont smoke? what's he do he do? subtle inuendos follow....

Hopefully spend billions on a crazy passion for Aston Villa :)

If we get taken over by July, manage to keep Benteke and get the resources to purchase a couple of exciting attacking players to feed him, it could be an exciting season as we know how Sherwood likes playing, on the front foot.

I realise this is a 'blue sky' scenario, but it's far from impossible.

Jack Ma is another Chinese business man who's been investing in soccer and related businesses recently. Whether he wants to expand into the UK i've got no idea. But he's another who's met with Prince William recently.

$25.4B he will do. We'll even get Grealish to change his name to Jack on his shirt in honour of our new leader.

• Like 2

dont drink dont smoke? what's he do he do? subtle inuendos follow...

Richard you need to remember that most of us are thick football fans and some of your posts today are making my head hurt.

• Like 1

He sounds like a tight arse from the interviews I've read!! ;)

Edited by KSV

Any time I think of Far East investors I can't get the fiasco with Vincent Tan at Cardiff out of my head. Maybe next season we'll be playing in red and gold, players will all wear number 8, and the lion on the badge will be replaced by a dragon.

I'd rather it's the Americans, maybe then we'll get a sister club in the MLS.

The only thing I want to know is.... how mental has TBAR gone this time around?

Someone on there saying since middle of last week its a US buyer. Said we would get more news this week,  so far so good ?

Tut tut, the lyrics are actually, "don't drink, don't smoke, what do you do?"

Happy to correct your mishearing of 30+ years! ;)

• Like 1

And it's Aston Virra, Aston Virra FC

That's a bit lacist.
If we're going to have Chinese owners, this important point should be made and taken on board by one and all:

Chinese people do NOT get confused between L and R sounds. It's a popular misconception, because Korean people and Japanese people do.

I learned this recently, because there was a story in the news about Christine Kirchner, the Argentine prime minister, who made a joke about Chinese people and L and R on Twitter, and got ridiculed. Search Engine is your fliend.

Experience says different. My wife had a (Hong Kong) Chinese colleague, who - despite having been to high school in Britain - frequently pronounced 'R's as 'L's.

I can help clear this up a bit. In Cantonese, the /r/ phoneme we use in English doesn't exist, but /l/ does, so Cantonese people can have trouble saying /r/ sounds, and may switch for a /l/, but they wouldn't get confused the other way around, as /l/ is common in Cantonese - Lan Kwai Fong, Lantau Island, the surname Lam etc. 

China in general has many different dialects, and each has different phonemes, so for individual mainlanders their location and regional dialect matters more. The Mandarin spoken around Beijing seems to have both /l/ and /r/ sounds as far as I know. 

In Korean pronunciation, /l/ and /r/ are allophones, or different variations of the same sound, so it can sound like Koreans are making 'mistakes' with these sounds in English. 

Japanese is truly the home of this confusion, and the home of jokes like 'the Japanese are very interested in Obama's election' etc. Japanese pronunciation has one phoneme which is about halfway between /l/ and /r/ and doesn't actually match either, so native Japanese speakers are often guessing which sound to make when speaking English. 

Sorry for the serious post, but since we're on the subject . . . 

Harrow tax-driver!

And it's Aston Virra, Aston Virra FC

That's a bit lacist.
If we're going to have Chinese owners, this important point should be made and taken on board by one and all:

Chinese people do NOT get confused between L and R sounds. It's a popular misconception, because Korean people and Japanese people do.

I learned this recently, because there was a story in the news about Christine Kirchner, the Argentine prime minister, who made a joke about Chinese people and L and R on Twitter, and got ridiculed. Search Engine is your fliend.

Experience says different. My wife had a (Hong Kong) Chinese colleague, who - despite having been to high school in Britain - frequently pronounced 'R's as 'L's.

I can help clear this up a bit. In Cantonese, the /r/ phoneme we use in English doesn't exist, but /l/ does, so Cantonese people can have trouble saying /r/ sounds, and may switch for a /l/, but they wouldn't get confused the other way around, as /l/ is common in Cantonese - Lan Kwai Fong, Lantau Island, the surname Lam etc. 

China in general has many different dialects, and each has different phonemes, so for individual mainlanders their location and regional dialect matters more. The Mandarin spoken around Beijing seems to have both /l/ and /r/ sounds as far as I know. 

In Korean pronunciation, /l/ and /r/ are allophones, or different variations of the same sound, so it can sound like Koreans are making 'mistakes' with these sounds in English. 

Japanese is truly the home of this confusion, and the home of jokes like 'the Japanese are very interested in Obama's election' etc. Japanese pronunciation has one phoneme which is about halfway between /l/ and /r/ and doesn't actually match either, so native Japanese speakers are often guessing which sound to make when speaking English. 

Sorry for the serious post, but since we're on the subject . . . 

Harrow tax-driver!

Tax driver? Bit rich coming from someone on the Isle of Man.

:P

(says the guy in Dubai)

• Like 1

Â