Rushian Hepburn-Murphy

PieFacE

Scored again for the u21s this evening, unfortunately I didn't see it but he's got a great chance of making it at this football club. I've met him, it was a pleasure, he's a very, nice, funny guy. Not only that, he seems to me to have a great attitude, albeit that's from a distance, I think that's where Delfouneso "failed"

• Like 1

It was a tap in into an empty net after a Kozak shot had been parried into his path.

The game was strangely live on AVFC official facebook page and can still be watched now if you go to the page, if you just want to see the goal it was right before half time.

• Like 1

I was there for this one - he looked bright and alert to things, but I thought he'd have a bit more to him. On a couple of occasions he got away from the last man but couldn't outpace him or out strength him and he made some odd decisions. He's talented, you can see that and he's busy, but he's got a long ways to go.

I don't think he's near a first team that might well have Ayew and McCormack on the bench on Saturday and Agbonlahor not in the matchday squad.

He also went off injured - hopefully he's okay. 

I don't want this lad to go, but I can see why SB plays Gabby....He still has much development and because of where we are that may prove difficult for him and us.

Unless you are grease lightning or physically adept, you will struggle to unhinge your opponent.

Steve Bruce has already mooted his feelings on the importance of physicality in a players game.....I see much work to do in the Under 23's on that score.

( The blues have nearly always given us a game over the years despite their inferior talent due to the graft and grind they employ)

RHM is a young talented boy, but until he can mix it with mean defenders who give you no quarter or skin them alive for pace, he will be potential.

Glenn Murray perhaps doesn't have the skills of RHM but his physical presence makes him effective and allows him freedom with what bit of technique he has got.

It is all well and good showing skill in open spaces but when the close contact arrives these skills dry up in lots of young players.....They have to show they can do it, when they are marked closely.

still much to do.

ps I remember speaking with Chris Nichol about this very subject and he explained in detail how he helped develop Alan Shearer at Southampton.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I don't want this lad to go, but I can see why SB plays Gabby....He still has much development and because of where we are that may prove difficult for him and us.

Unless you are grease lightning or physically adept, you will struggle to unhinge your opponent.

Steve Bruce has already mooted his feelings on the importance of physicality in a players game.....I see much work to do in the Under 23's on that score.

( The blues have nearly always given us a game over the years despite their inferior talent due to the graft and grind they employ)

RHM is a young talented boy, but until he can mix it with mean defenders who give you no quarter or skin them alive for pace, he will be potential.

Glenn Murray perhaps doesn't have the skills of RHM but his physical presence makes him effective and allows him freedom with what bit of technique he has got.

It is all well and good showing skill in open spaces but when the close contact arrives these skills dry up in lots of young players.....They have to show they can do it, when they are marked closely.

still much to do.

ps I remember speaking with Chris Nichol about this very subject and he explained in detail how he helped develop Alan Shearer at Southampton.

TRO - I normally agree with a lot of what you post - however this surprises me-  are you suggesting Gabby can do things when defenders get " up close " I'm really not sure I could concur with this. I would be extremely disappointed if he is allowed to leave and you know who stays- for me we have enough fire power to afford him cameo appearances and allow him to develop this way. 

14 hours ago, meregreen said:

RHM is young and hungry.

He is certainly young and is hopefully hungry.

It may well also be that he isn't quite ready to step up and make an impact at a club that desperately wants to get promoted.

He has only just turned 18 and whilst he has looked good at youth and reserve levels a step up from that to the Championship is a big one.

I'd like to see him stay but I don't want us to feel we have to play him for that to be the case if the manager deems he isn't ready.

With the club apparently wanting to keep him and tie him down to a long term deal then at just 18 he shouldn't be thinking about moving anywhere and should be totally focused on continuing his development at a club that has already helped him into a first team squad at such a young age.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

He is certainly young and is hopefully hungry.

It may well also be that he isn't quite ready to step up and make an impact at a club that desperately wants to get promoted.

He has only just turned 18 and whilst he has looked good at youth and reserve levels a step up from that to the Championship is a big one.

I'd like to see him stay but I don't want us to feel we have to play him for that to be the case if the manager deems he isn't ready.

With the club apparently wanting to keep him and tie him down to a long term deal than at just 18 he shouldn't be thinking about moving anywhere and should be totally focused on continuing his development at a club that has already helped him into a first team squad at such a young age.

The only thing i would say is it doesnt take much to have more of an impact that gabby did 

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The only thing i would say is it doesnt take much to have more of an impact that gabby did 

It definitely does. Horses for courses. Gabby may have been ultimately ineffectual on Friday but he gave the best defender in the division problems with his physicality. From what I know of RHM, he's not going to do that. He's more of a goal poacher. 

He's 18 years old. This panic over 'play him or he leaves' is frankly ridiculous. 

• Like 3

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It definitely does. Horses for courses. Gabby may have been ultimately ineffectual on Friday but he gave the best defender in the division problems with his physicality. From what I know of RHM, he's not going to do that. He's more of a goal poacher. 

He's 18 years old. This panic over 'play him or he leaves' is frankly ridiculous. 

I dont think people are saying he should play (start) but at least be on the bench. I think gabby was in effective tbh in an attacking sense and thats what we need from the person playing up top. I am not questioning gabbys effort it was great no question but very little quality  

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Ahead of who? I'm just not seeing it at the moment. He's way down the pecking order and rightly so. 

This. He's done nothing of note yet. If he's good enough his time will come

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This seems to be the biggest issue that Gabby is getting game time but not RHM.

Gabby is also getting game time ahead of Gestede but I am not hearing many say that RHM should be ahead of Gestede in the pecking order.

I genuinely don't know if RHM is ready for this level. Is a better option than Kodjia, Ayew, McCormack, Gestede or Gabby. I don't see him in training everyday. Those that do have deemed him not yet ready though.

What is obvious from the little I have seen of him is that he is not yet going to put himself about and hassle/bully defenders, allowing others space, the role which Gabby has been asked to play by Bruce. What is also obvious is that at just 18 it is not surprising that he isn't yet deemed ready to regularly make the step up and the fact his contract is about to expire and other clubs are sniffing around him doesn't change that.

He should sign the contact the club have apparently offered him and continue his development here where it seems the club have done a pretty good job with him so far given he is in the first team squad at 18.

well if SGC says he's not ready yet then thats me convinced

i think we may benefit from him not being able to talk to other english clubs until may, we've got a lot of games to play yet, especially with the ACoN, if he doesnt get a sniff by then then yeah maybe he's got a case

whats happened to davis? he seemed ahead of RHM anyway

RHM needs a loan move. It's a joke that the emergency loan window has been scrapped. It's ideal for young players to go out for a month here and there to build them up. If he'd have proven himself against big nasty defenders he'd be in a better position to be thrown in. He's a different player to Gabby or the Gabby we have now anyway. He's very similar to the Gabby that broke through. Hopefully he hasn't had his head turned and in Jan he gets a chance and takes it. For me he'd be sub and thrown on last 10-15 to stretch teams for now but we are top heavy with strikers. 

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Ahead of who? I'm just not seeing it at the moment. He's way down the pecking order and rightly so. 

gabby for me, not saying he should be ahead of kodjia, ayew or mccormack but def over gabby

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont think people are saying he should play (start) but at least be on the bench. I think gabby was in effective tbh in an attacking sense and thats what we need from the person playing up top. I am not questioning gabbys effort it was great no question but very little quality  

I'm not Agbonlahor s greatest fan but I think ha done well. The job he did on Friday looks ineffective, and it looks simple, but it is neither - there is really quite an art to do it it effectively ( not to mention he could easily have scored).

If you'd asked me two months ago I'd have said RHM, but I've seen as much of him as Gabby and am quite sure Bruce has it right.

• Like 2

Â