Rushian Hepburn-Murphy

PieFacE

Just now, terrytini said:

I'm not Agbonlahor s greatest fan but I think ha done well. The job he did on Friday looks ineffective, and it looks simple, but it is neither - there is really quite an art to do it it effectively ( not to mention he could easily have scored).

If you'd asked me two months ago I'd have said RHM, but I've seen as much of him as Gabby and am quite sure Bruce has it right.

My problem is that it kind of restricts us scoring goals as gabby wont be scoring and cant even keep himself onside! Not a gabby fan mate but I like Bruce so as much as I dont like it I will accept it. 

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Not a gabby fan mate but I like Bruce so as much as I dont like it I will accept it. 

I wont. Steve Bruce may be growing on me (well some aspects are growing on me like results long may it continue) I will not absolve him ,  the players he picks or the players he wants to sign from criticism purely because the manager is ok.

On Agbonlahor I absolutely fail to see ,  or accept,  what added value he can bring whatsoever.  He does not score or look threatening.  His pace is shot. He has no football brain. He is a spent force,  such as that "force" ever was.  Indeed ,  IMO, he has the potential to bring a halt to the positive vibes seeing as in many quarters he is tied inextricably to the failures of the club over the last few years with him being one of the main piss takers given the huge salary he is on.  One failure,  one glimmer of failure,  on his part and the whole pack of cards come tumbling down.  It is a high risk strategy on the part of the manager and one he has no need to take

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard said:

One failure,  one glimmer of failure,  on his part and the whole pack of cards come tumbling down.  It is a high risk strategy on the part of the manager and one he has no need to take

You are vastly over playing the influence Gabby has here especially under an excellent man manager like Bruce. If he is a naughty boy again then you won't see him anywhere near the first team under Bruce again.

At the moment Bruce is utilising the squad he inherited the best he can. Gabby it seems, after impressing him by working his bollocks off in training and getting fitter and leaner, is at present seen as an option to be used to hassle, close down and bully defenders allowing the likes of Kodjia to operate in a wider role and find more space off the back of the work Gabby is doing.

RHM can't play that role as well, neither can Gestede, which is why they aren't getting the game time ahead of Agbonlahor at present.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

You are vastly over playing the influence Gabby has here especially under an excellent man manager like Bruce. If he is a naughty boy again then you won't see him anywhere near the first team under Bruce again.

At the moment Bruce is utilising the squad he inherited the best he can. Gabby it seems, after impressing him by working his bollocks off in training and getting fitter and leaner, is at present seen as an option to be used to hassle, close down and bully defenders allowing the likes of Kodjia to operate in a wider role and find more space off the back of the work Gabby is doing.

RHM can't play that role as well, neither can Gestede, which is why they aren't getting the game time ahead of Agbonlahor at present.

Its suprising you would think Rudy could what gabby does much more effectively and he scores goals too!

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its suprising you would think Rudy could what gabby does much more effectively and he scores goals too!

I don't think Gestede is anywhere near as mobile as Gabby even though Gabby is still lacking a bit of fitness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard said:

I wont. Steve Bruce may be growing on me (well some aspects are growing on me like results long may it continue) I will not absolve him ,  the players he picks or the players he wants to sign from criticism purely because the manager is ok.

On Agbonlahor I absolutely fail to see ,  or accept,  what added value he can bring whatsoever.  He does not score or look threatening.  His pace is shot. He has no football brain. He is a spent force,  such as that "force" ever was.  Indeed ,  IMO, he has the potential to bring a halt to the positive vibes seeing as in many quarters he is tied inextricably to the failures of the club over the last few years with him being one of the main piss takers given the huge salary he is on.  One failure,  one glimmer of failure,  on his part and the whole pack of cards come tumbling down.  It is a high risk strategy on the part of the manager and one he has no need to take

explained in other threads, the threat of his pace means that the opposition has to play a deeper defensive line, brighton play high up the pitch meaning they can have a lot of the ball and squeeze off it, sticking gabby in there means thats gone, it didnt strengthen us but it weakened them, it was a good tactic that IMO worked

same can be said about westwood, people dont like him but the way bruce used him on friday night worked

if gabby plays against cardiff then ill eat my hat, he'll set us up differently, expect grealish in there, i dont think he's doing it because he likes the player, he's doing it because he's having a think about it, we dont need what gabby can offer (!) on saturday

@Demitri_C thats the same with rudy, if we'd have played him on friday night the brighton defence would have just passed him on, they could have played on the half way line if they wanted to, anything over the top would be pointless because they'd catch him

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2016 at 17:55, Dave J said:

TRO - I normally agree with a lot of what you post - however this surprises me-  are you suggesting Gabby can do things when defenders get " up close " I'm really not sure I could concur with this. I would be extremely disappointed if he is allowed to leave and you know who stays- for me we have enough fire power to afford him cameo appearances and allow him to develop this way. 

If i agreed with you on this  Dave....We'd both be wrong:)

Edited by TRO

On 11/23/2016 at 14:01, Richard said:

Richard,I have no reason to dispute what you have said there, but....

Steve Bruce knows this league like the back of his hand....Gabby despite all his failings and yes I can see them too....does have a physical presence, when he applies it, the others don't.....Steve is working with him on that and in theory it should get better and more meaningful as his fitness improves.

What you have witnessed and experienced from Gabby over the last few years, so have we all.....but Steve Bruce hasn't.

Gabby was never going to another club and right or wrong got caught up in all the poison of the club and the coming and going of managers. Maybe he threw the towel in, not Acceptable I know, but I would be interested to hear his side of things.

Anyone that has read my posts on here will say, that I have never banged the drum for Gabby Agbonlahor despite me enjoying his goals just like the fans who have championed him.He has never been a favourite of mine even during his more halcyon days.

Steve Bruce has seen Gabby from a distance and been on the rough end of some of his better times....GA is being paid a handsome sum and if SB thinks he can get something out of him that helps the team, I for one wouldn't stand in his way.

This League is not about making  pretty little patterns in your wake.....Its about grinding out results mainly by physical endeavor, with a sprinkle of technique here and there when we have gained control of the battle.....Gabby will help us with that.

If I was in a competition to slag him off..... I would be confident of being up there with the best, check my posts of the past.

I am confident Steve knows what he is doing and will play RHM if he feels he will add value or if there is an opportunity to aid his development without putting points at risk.

Ps All hands to the pumps.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2016 at 13:26, Demitri_C said:

My problem is that it kind of restricts us scoring goals as gabby wont be scoring and cant even keep himself onside! Not a gabby fan mate but I like Bruce so as much as I dont like it I will accept it. 

Teams score goals....strikers are just the finishers. Gabby will make more room/freedom for the strikers.

you seen against the Blues how Kodjia was heavily marked....we need to free him up.

Edited by TRO

On 23/11/2016 at 15:17, markavfc40 said:

Like the system Bruce used to employ with Emile Heskey.

• Like 1

On 23 November 2016 at 08:42, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It definitely does. Horses for courses. Gabby may have been ultimately ineffectual on Friday but he gave the best defender in the division problems with his physicality. From what I know of RHM, he's not going to do that. He's more of a goal poacher. 

He's 18 years old. This panic over 'play him or he leaves' is frankly ridiculous. 

That's just your view Doug - quite frankly I panic when you know who plays! Would you also mind explaining just what you thought he did on Friday ? Problems with physicality - sounds like " one size fits all to me"

15 hours ago, TRO said:

If I was in a competition to slag him off..... I would be confident of being up there with the best, check my posts of the past. 

I'd be pretty confident of winning that competition

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TRO said:

Teams score goals....strikers are just the finishers. Gabby will make more room/freedom for the strikers.

you seen against the Blues how Kodjia was heavily marked....we need to free him up.

I don't know if he does/will though. Gabby looked unable to cope with the pace and hindered Kodija + Adomah as they could not rotate as a unit effectively (mainly as Gabby could not get into position quick enough. Easiest way to free up your goal scorers is a system that allows all the forwards freedom to roam away from their markers, Ayew and RHM would allow that imo.

• Like 1

On 23/11/2016 at 15:17, markavfc40 said:

Nope.  I am being realistic with the fragility of the improved atmosphere at the club among the fanbase. Agbonlahor is not liked ,  is seen as a disruptive person at the club taking the piss out of it.  People may bite their tongues more because they like the manager but i firmly believe that should Agbonlahor even have a suggestion of a slip about him,  regardless of Bruce dropping him or not,  that will have a bad affect on the atmosphere. 

he has less of a chance of the fans excusing it as RHM for example who ,  although less experienced,  has more leeway and could develop. With Agbonlahor none of those exist

Edited by Richard

16 hours ago, Dave J said:

That's just your view Doug - quite frankly I panic when you know who plays! Would you also mind explaining just what you thought he did on Friday ? Problems with physicality - sounds like " one size fits all to me"

I know you do. 

I thought his positive running and physical strength, particularly down the channels, caused Dunk issues. Though admittedly my view was hampered by being in row C. We didn't exploit that space very well in the first half and I thought his touch was poor at times. Though this is Gabby we are talking about here, not some superstar striker. He's bang average at the best of times and Dunk is a Premier League defender playing in the Championship, though Gabby is and remains a completely different type of player to RHM. So, as I said, horses for courses. 

I don't know what you mean with your last line. To say a football player is 'physical' is a fairly well established term. I don't know how to make it much clearer and still keep it succinct. RHM lacks it. 

• Like 2

Â