Rushian Hepburn-Murphy

PieFacE

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

he's won the U23 PL2 or whatever nonsense it now is (reserve league basically) player of the month award

Thanks, I forgot to include that bit, why do you think it's nonsense? How are these players supposed to develop?

40 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Thanks, I forgot to include that bit, why do you think it's nonsense? How are these players supposed to develop?

I think he's referring to the name of the league rather than the league itself.

• Like 2

On 14 October 2016 at 12:14, sir_gary_cahill said:

What I mean is that the FA and FL / PL finally recognise that there is a problem with developing youth players in this country and them breaking though, I personally think it's the money and the hype we throw at them, they're millionaire superstars before they've kicked a ball for the first team, however the FA seem to think the answer to that problem is to rejig the reserve league, they've done it about 3 times now in the last ten years and reclassified all the academies twice

chelsea are obviously the main culprits (although they played 3 youth players yesterday I think) making it an U23 league won't fix anything that Chelsea are doing 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

He's been banging them in for the u21s recently, he really is an outstanding young talent who will only improve at this football club. In my opinion, he should be in and around our first team more, he's also a very nice, young man with a great future in football

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 12:14, sir_gary_cahill said:

Is reserve football really that important anymore?

I still remember the time when we were all excited about the Fonz, Bannan, Hogg, Clark and Albrighton all coming through at the same time in 2009/10.

How many did we loan out around that time? Instead we kept them all in the reserves and the occasional spot on the bench and patted ourselves on the back as we steamrolled the reserve league...but it didn't work out well in the long term did it?

Personally I think if they aren't involved like Lyden and Green they should be loaned out but of course the rules make that more difficult these days, will have to wait until January now.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Is reserve football really that important anymore?

I still remember the time when we were all excited about the Fonz, Bannan, Hogg, Clark and Albrighton all coming through at the same time in 2009/10.

How many did we loan out around that time? Instead we kept them all in the reserves and the occasional spot on the bench and patted ourselves on the back as we steamrolled the reserve league...but it didn't work out well in the long term did it?

Personally I think if they aren't involved like Lyden and Green they should be loaned out but of course the rules make that more difficult these days, will have to wait until January now.

I think it'a important in terms of a player's development, these players have to play matches somewhere, be it at our football club or elsewhere. The group you just listed was an outstanding group Chris but in my opinion, this group of Suliman, Hepburn-Murphy, Cowans, Green and Mason is better, whether they go on to be better there players remains to be seen but I shall enjoy watching their careers develop

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think it'a important in terms of a player's development, these players have to play matches somewhere, be it at our football club or elsewhere. The group you just listed was an outstanding group Chris but in my opinion, this group of Suliman, Hepburn-Murphy, Cowans, Green and Mason is better, whether they go on to be better there players remains to be seen but I shall enjoy watching their careers develop

I have no doubt that these lads have sufficient skill factor.....but to me they don't look physically developed yet.....its a tough old place up front and your skill can get easily nullified unless you are "out of this world"

I have worried for some time that our boys look a bit light in muscular presence.

I know we are in different times but the likes of Andy Gray at 19 put himself about and worried the life out of defenders with is aggressive presence.

I don't see much of that tendency from our academy boys

48 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have no doubt that these lads have sufficient skill factor.....but to me they don't look physically developed yet.....its a tough old place up front and your skill can get easily nullified unless you are "out of this world"

I have worried for some time that our boys look a bit light in muscular presence.

I know we are in different times but the likes of Andy Gray at 19 put himself about and worried the life out of defenders with is aggressive presence.

I can see your point of view TRO, most definitely but I think Rushian in particular showed more than enough in his brief cameo against Newcastle. He hassles the opposition'a defenders and doesn't give them a moment's rest. He's not weak by any stretch of the imagination and he's only 18 so he still has some growing to do 

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I can see your point of view TRO, most definitely but I think Rushian in particular showed more than enough in his brief cameo against Newcastle. He hassles the opposition'a defenders and doesn't give them a moment's rest. He's not weak by any stretch of the imagination and he's only 18 so he still has some growing to do 

Good, thats encouraging.

I do value your opinion on these lads, because i know thats where your interest lies and subsequently have much knowledge on their development.

Conversely, being a first team man like me, I only have fleeting glances.

However, I have for some time had my doubts about the academy's focus on stature.....I remember, some seasons back when our fancied team got out fought by a powerful Middlesborough side and made them look very ordinary.

I'm not looking for tall bean poles, but more power in their physique.....That way IMO they can impose themselves and their skills more.

Its easy to be alwyas quoting top players......but I look at the Calum Wilson's & Troy Deeney's and see how they negate the physical presence of center halves.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Good, thats encouraging.

I do value your opinion on these lads, because i know thats where your interest lies and subsequently have much knowledge on their development.

Conversely, being a first team man like me, I only have fleeting glances.

However, I have for some time had my doubts about the academy's focus on stature.....I remember, some seasons back when our fancied team got out fought by a powerful Middlesborough side and made them look very ordinary.

I'm not looking for tall bean poles, but more power in their physique.....That way IMO they can impose themselves and their skills more.

Its easy to be alwyas quoting top players......but I look at the Calum Wilson's & Troy Deeney's and see how they negate the physical presence of center halves.

That's most certainly where my interest lies :) I love seeing how a young player develops regardless of where they end up. 

I think you make some interesting points in the rest of your post, I love reading your posts as they are always insightful.

Thanks for saying that you value my opinion on here, it means a lot, the same goes for you. I highly doubt that the rest of the board share your opinion though.

You mention being outfought by Middlesbrough, was that in 2004 that you're referring to? I was only 13 years old at the time, so I barely remember it.

Do you still folllow the Premier League even though we're not in it currently? I think the 2 Premier League strikers that you mentioned are outstanding players for their respective football clubs. I think we now have a striker of that ilk but probably not quite as good as those 2 in Kodija, although that is open to debate. I still follow the Premier League religiously, I think the standard is fantastic there currently.

• Like 1

For me, Hepburn-Murphy would do well to go out on loan for the second half of the season to a decent league 1 team without too much competition up front, and maybe an older head in the striking department to talk to him and give him perspective. 

He seems similar to Dominic Samuel at Reading in my opinion who did very well going out on loan to Gillingham last season. 

11 minutes ago, skarroki said:

For me, Hepburn-Murphy would do well to go out on loan for the second half of the season to a decent league 1 team without too much competition up front, and maybe an older head in the striking department to talk to him and give him perspective. 

He seems similar to Dominic Samuel at Reading in my opinion who did very well going out on loan to Gillingham last season. 

Do you think Hepburn-Murphy would score goals in league 1 skarroki? I think many young players struggle to adapt to the rigours of league football, I don't include Hepburn-Murphy in this bracket.

I think he is an outstanding young talent with great potential to improve

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't think that is just our academy. Look at England at the Euros, just a bunch of pampered 5 a side footballers.

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

I don't think that is just our academy. Look at England at the Euros, just a bunch of pampered 5 a side footballers.

I disagree, I think they are the most talented footballers in the country for a reason, they play for the national team. They weren't a disgrace like you allude to rodders0223, they gave their all in my opinion, like they always have in the past

Â