The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Kept us up and got us to a cup final.

I see this excuse for him a lot and I really do think it over estimates it a bit.

Got us to a cup final - won two games to get us to the final in which we just basically did not turn up.  The manager who has apparent motivation skills failed to motivate for the biggest game the club have had in the last 19 years

Kept us up - How exactly? we did the bare minimum and survived because results went our way.  If they had not gone our way then the last two games would have done for us.  So it's not like he did a Pullis at Palace or anything or a Pearson at Leicester,  teams with arguably worse players at the time.  He came in and over saw a rejuvenated and back to fitness Benteke and scraped home. 

Who knows if Lambert could have done worse or better than that? That is speculation.

Just saying on the two things that get trotted out in support of him,  not sure that it is that black and white

We were broken under Lambert, and Lambert was broken under Villa. We had two spells, maybe more of not scoring for a number of games under Lambert, I think we were clearly headed in one direction at that point in time. We will never know for sure if Lambert could have kept us up, but from memory we looked very much doomed.

Sherwood did just about enough to keep us up, and did well to get us to a cup final albeit the cup final was a disaster we all would like to forget. I think the final was partly down to us not turning up, but mostly down to Arsenal being on top form that day. They are a team that can destroy any team when they are firing. The result that did worry me most at the tail end of last season was the Southampton game, that was more concerning to me.

As a club, our biggest mistake was keeping a rookie, unproven manager in the summer. We should have got rid then in my opinion and got in a better guy. I do understand the reasoning for keeping Sherwood, but that would have been the time to go and get ourselves a decent manager, not part way through a season.

At this moment, if it was a toss up between Rodgers and Moyes for manager, I would go all out for Moyes. I just think he would be a better fit for us at this moment in time.

• Like 1

Procrastination is rife at VP. Sacking him at the beginning of the international break would have been the perfect time to get someone in and allow them relative time to settle. We really have some feckless people running this club, the manager is just the tip of the iceberg. 

• Like 4

I'd prefer Moyes, his experience at Everton is more akin to the job required here. 

I know the Rodgers did well at Swansea (I don't buy into the whole "it was all Martinez") but to me it seems his ideas are a little too "out there" for the kind of players we have (a bit too "out there" for Liverpool too)

Both are top 4-top 6 managers though and either would be a huge upgrade on Tactics Tim

• Like 2

The common view last season was that Lambert was not getting the squad performing to its potential - most thought that we should be mid-table-ish

The common view in the summer was that this was a brilliant transfer window and that this was the best squad assembled for some time

Sherwood assured us that we would 'never be in trouble again'

I saw no-one in the summer predictiing that we would be in trouble

It is therefore somewhat revisionist to suggest that "even for an experienced manager this would be an uphill task"

Sherwood was a very bad appointment and has not got what it takes - the sooner we get rid the better

Then you haven't looked too closely, quite a few people in the predictions thread and others have suggested a 15th to 17th finish ( or even lower ). 

The common view last season was that Lambert was not getting the squad performing to its potential - most thought that we should be mid-table-ish

The common view in the summer was that this was a brilliant transfer window and that this was the best squad assembled for some time

Sherwood assured us that we would 'never be in trouble again'

I saw no-one in the summer predictiing that we would be in trouble

It is therefore somewhat revisionist to suggest that "even for an experienced manager this would be an uphill task"

Sherwood was a very bad appointment and has not got what it takes - the sooner we get rid the better

Then you haven't looked too closely, quite a few people in the predictions thread and others have suggested a 15th to 17th finish ( or even lower ). 

Maybe but the overwhelming view was that we would be comfortable

Whoever comes in is going to struggle until they're able to buy a striker in January.

I think if we get somebody who can set the team up to get the ball wide and whip in cross after cross then we'll do enough with what we've got.

Another reason why Allardyce would have been a great choice It wouldn't have been particularly pretty, but I bet he'd have used what we have effectively

• Like 2

There's really little point in giving him 2 games to save his job.  He's obviously out of his depth,  should have made a change a week ago really.  

Even if he had the ability to turn it around, the 2 games ultimatum puts a permanent noose around his neck.

He can win the next two games, 'save his job', then what happens if he loses a couple? how long do we give him after he saves himself?

Our off the field managerial decisions match Sherwood's team. **** about doing everything wrong half the time, looking like they've never run a football club before they made this decision. Hopefully they'll turn it around soon, make the right decision that everyone knew should have been made a long time ago, only to claim it was the plan to keep a shit manager for a third of the season all along. :)

Edited by Davkaus

I imagine if the 2 game ultimatum is real, it's really just put there to make it appear Sherwood is being given a chance to save his job. Fox and the powers that be know that we won't beat Swansea and Chelsea. It just won't happen. Which means they can turn around after both games and say "sorry, it's not enough. See ya later"

If that ultimatum exists then it's goodbye for Sherwood, pretty much regardless of what happens in those games.

That's all in my opinion by the way. #StevoITK not active

• Like 2

There's really little point in giving him 2 games to save his job.  He's obviously out of his depth,  should have made a change a week ago really.  

Totally agree. My only hope is that a new man has been sounded out and negotiations are ongoing. Though given the performances and tactics so far this year, I would be more than happy to put Butch or Sid in termpory charge. Hell I'd even have Parks the bloody GK coach in charge at this point.

I imagine if the 2 game ultimatum is real, it's really just put there to make it appear Sherwood is being given a chance to save his job. Fox and the powers that be know that we won't beat Swansea and Chelsea. It just won't happen. Which means they can turn around after both games and say "sorry, it's not enough. See ya later"

If that ultimatum exists then it's goodbye for Sherwood, pretty much regardless of what happens in those games.

That's all in my opinion by the way. #StevoITK not active

I'm hoping it's because they were trying to get a replacement lined up, rather than writing off 2 games just for appearances.

• Like 1

I always think these X number of games ultimatum's are media BS to be honest.

But if it is true then the only real logical explanation is that Fox wants to see if the players are still behind Sherwood. If they are they in theory should bust a gut to keep him in the job if they aren't they will hang him. Given that motivation and self delusion are the only weapons in Sherwood's locker if he has lost the ability to motivate the players then he has to go.

• Like 2

I don't think the 'two games' thing is real. If he loses the next two he might get the sack, obviously, but I don't think it's an actual ultimatum that Fox has issued. Besides I wouldn't be surprised if they're waiting to get the Chelsea game out of the way before making a change.

Would it be unreasonable to ask for a little update? Last I saw was an article saying that Tim was not happy with the players brought in as they weren't his first choices. There's something about a two game ultimatum now? Sounds like bollocks, but a non-pithy twelve word summary of what has happened in the past week would be greatly appreciated. I know there's damn all actual news, but what are you all talking about? I'm missing context.

Â