The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

true but if you consistently make a quote like that it will bite you for a long time especially when said manager was actually the worst manager I have seen Villa have

I completely agree, Its all in good fun but I think the sell by date on that one has passed now. Some new material is required.  ;)

Sherwood is going to be better than Mourinho......

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

Is that joke still funny? It's been done a thousand times now.

It's not meant to be funny - it's to make a point. Making comparisons without giving someone time to prove themselves is often regrettable....

... just like that comparison made about our former manager.

• Like 1

I suppose it was always going to be the case but there are clear double-standards from former ardent Lambert backers towards Sherwood.

I mean, Lambert's tactical failures were generally overlooked on the basis of the 'restraints' he had to work under. Whereas when Sherwood gets it wrong it's indicate of wider lack of tactical nous. Lambert constantly 'needed more time' whereas Sherwood can already be dismissed (as a 'shit' manager) or seriously questioned despite never overseeing a full season in his managerial career yet.

Like I say, this was always likely seeing as Lambert amassed almost cult-like blind-faith in his ability - no other manager has ever been afforded the same amount of leeway. But I thought it might take a little longer in Sherwood's reign for this to become evident. I guess it boils down to initial perception, Lambert was a popular appointment, Sherwood wasn't.

• Like 4

And I suppose it was always going to be the case that point scoring and post on poster comments would be made

I don't believe I mentioned any specific poster.

• Like 2

How about giving Sherwood a chance eh? Like we did with the previous manager. 

I feel that certain people here are hoping he fails. Writing him off before he's even had a chance to stamp his authority on the team

• Like 1

That's if he actually plays full back

There has already been paper reports that he will be playing CB where he will be a liability and he won't be as good as Vlaar in that position

Keith Richards would be an improvement on Vlaar on recent form!

• Like 1

It's weird, because when there was all the negativity about him before we appointed him, I stuck up for him and said people should give him a chance. He then transformed our season, and yet I've really come to dislike him for some reason. Still I don't have to like someone to want them to do well for the Villa.

• Like 2

It's weird, because when there was all the negativity about him before we appointed him, I stuck up for him and said people should give him a chance. He then transformed our season, and yet I've really come to dislike him for some reason. Still I don't have to like someone to want them to do well for the Villa.

"It's just business"

I'm not sold on him. I think he is a better Paulo di canio

Too early to make that sort of rather silly judgement. I supported Lambert for two seasons, so I will give Sherwood some time as well.

One thing he has definitely done is pull us out of the hole that Lambert had burrowed us into, and at this stage keeping us in the League was as much as I hoped for.

If he proves to be deficient in the coming season, we can jettison him happy in the knowledge that he carried out the most important part of his remit..

I mean it's not just people who were quite vocal in their support of Lambert, who are unsure that Sherwood's the right man for the job.

Nothing wrong with thinking that. I'm saying that there should still be consistancy in the standards applied to different managers. If certain people didn't criticise Lambert for x, they shouldn't do so with Sherwood. If they believed Lambert deserved x amount of time before judgement is made, that should also apply to his successor.

Obviously it depends on circumstances too, like if we hired a manager who has proven quite clearly to be crap in their career, then he doesn't warrant the same reservation of judgement. However Sherwood hasn't even had a full season of management in his career, he is the definition of unproven. Yet it seems that he is on a hiding to nothing in some quarters.

I suppose it was always going to be the case but there are clear double-standards from former ardent Lambert backers towards Sherwood.

I mean, Lambert's tactical failures were generally overlooked on the basis of the 'restraints' he had to work under. Whereas when Sherwood gets it wrong it's indicate of wider lack of tactical nous. Lambert constantly 'needed more time' whereas Sherwood can already be dismissed (as a 'shit' manager) or seriously questioned despite never overseeing a full season in his managerial career yet.

Like I say, this was always likely seeing as Lambert amassed almost cult-like blind-faith in his ability - no other manager has ever been afforded the same amount of leeway. But I thought it might take a little longer in Sherwood's reign for this to become evident. I guess it boils down to initial perception, Lambert was a popular appointment, Sherwood wasn't.

This is true - but also, there are some who wanted Lambert out who throw toys out of the pram when Sherwood's mistakes are brought up.

He has made mistakes, some of them Lambert-esque, which does worry me. 

BUT he needs to be able to buy in players for the job he thinks he needs to do. If Richards is the start of that, then I am quite happy - I just hope he does play right back and can stay fit.

• Like 2

I supported Lambert for two seasons, so I will give Sherwood some time as well.

One thing he has definitely done is pull us out of the hole that Lambert had burrowed us into, and at this stage keeping us in the League was as much as I hoped for.

If he proves to be deficient in the coming season, we can jettison him happy in the knowledge that he carried out the most important part of his remit..

Well said. Some weirdness but also some great football from him so far, and amusing in interviews.

Â