The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

This is true - but also, there are some who wanted Lambert out who throw toys out of the pram when Sherwood's mistakes are brought up.

Yeah, true.

I'm not sold on him. I think he is a better Paulo di canio

Nah. He's a better "best manager we have had in 30 years".

Is that joke still funny? It's been done a thousand times now.

Maybe not funny but still highly relevant.

And probably more funny than mentions of Di Canio.

I can see Sherwood being an amalgamation of certain managers we have had but at the same time bringing something different about the rest and imprinting his own footprint on the club. I can see certain aspects in his demeanour and characteristics that are akin to Gregory, Atkinson and even MON on the sidelines but he also isn't afraid to tell it like it is which i think could help him with the young squad we have. He certianly is a "put your arm around the back of the lad" type of manager.

I suppose it was always going to be the case but there are clear double-standards from former ardent Lambert backers towards Sherwood.

I mean, Lambert's tactical failures were generally overlooked on the basis of the 'restraints' he had to work under. Whereas when Sherwood gets it wrong it's indicate of wider lack of tactical nous. Lambert constantly 'needed more time' whereas Sherwood can already be dismissed (as a 'shit' manager) or seriously questioned despite never overseeing a full season in his managerial career yet.

Like I say, this was always likely seeing as Lambert amassed almost cult-like blind-faith in his ability - no other manager has ever been afforded the same amount of leeway. But I thought it might take a little longer in Sherwood's reign for this to become evident. I guess it boils down to initial perception, Lambert was a popular appointment, Sherwood wasn't.

This is true - but also, there are some who wanted Lambert out who throw toys out of the pram when Sherwood's mistakes are brought up.

He has made mistakes, some of them Lambert-esque, which does worry me.

BUT he needs to be able to buy in players for the job he thinks he needs to do. If Richards is the start of that, then I am quite happy - I just hope he does play right back and can stay fit.

Maybe those people would also have not been as critical over lambert after a handful of games with someone else's squad.

I'm sure if Sherwood makes us worse, the more time spent with the club and delivers atrocious football and results, those that wanted lambert out so much will also feel the same towards Sherwood.

And I suppose it was always going to be the case that point scoring and post on poster comments would be made

I don't believe I mentioned any specific poster.

did I ?

I can see Sherwood being an amalgamation of certain managers we have had but at the same time bringing something different about the rest and imprinting his own footprint on the club. I can see certain aspects in his demeanour and characteristics that are akin to Gregory, Atkinson and even MON on the sidelines but he also isn't afraid to tell it like it is which i think could help him with the young squad we have. He certianly is a "put your arm around the back of the lad" type of manager.

As long as you're one of his favourites. So far he has dropped certain players like a stone, implied a lot of them are losers and told them when they must have been gutted after the Cup final that they don't have futures with the club, then said it publicly. There was also admitting Benteke had a release clause days before the final which was amateurish. I really don't think any of those managers would have done that. He deserves credit for organising and motivating the team to keep us up, but the warning signs are there for me. I hope he has a good transfer window though.

• Like 1

I mean it's not just people who were quite vocal in their support of Lambert, who are unsure that Sherwood's the right man for the job.

Nothing wrong with thinking that. I'm saying that there should still be consistancy in the standards applied to different managers. If certain people didn't criticise Lambert for x, they shouldn't do so with Sherwood. If they believed Lambert deserved x amount of time before judgement is made, that should also apply to his successor.

Obviously it depends on circumstances too, like if we hired a manager who has proven quite clearly to be crap in their career, then he doesn't warrant the same reservation of judgement. However Sherwood hasn't even had a full season of management in his career, he is the definition of unproven. Yet it seems that he is on a hiding to nothing in some quarters.

not sure it's relevant or justified. I've been told on here, on more than one ocassion, that references to Ellis when criticising Lerner are not relevant. Same applies to sherwood and lambert. Paul lambert is not longer the manager of Aston villa , Tim sherwood is. Different manager , different person, different circumstances.

My references to Paulo di canio , by the way for any sensitive people, is merely to show who, in my opinion, Tim sherwood is similar to in character and in that regard is entirely justified

My references to Paulo di canio , by the way for any sensitive people, is merely to show who, in my opinion, Tim sherwood is similar to in character and in that regard is entirely justified

Do you think he's a similar manager to Di Canio, or a similar character?

I'm guessing there are lots of characters like Di Canio (hot-headed, arrogant, confident, aggressive) who are also good managers. If you think he's a similar manager, then I guess that's more of a criticism.

I think he's a similar character who also relies more on motivational techniques becaus of a lack of tactical nouse , although I'd say sherwood has slightly more tactical nouse than di canio . Sherwood is in that mould of manager, in my humble opinion of course.

• Like 2

Couldn't disagree more. From the short spell we've seen under him, he's set us up to play better football, got players performing better and brought out the best in our most important player. That wasn't done because he got them working harder through motivation, its from the way the team have been set up and the way they've approached games tactically IMO.

• Like 2

Makes me laugh when people say he isn't tactically aware/ astute/ etc.

I don't think there is a manager in the country who doesn't understand tactics.

And I have seen every every great manager get their tactics wrong, and every poor manager get their tactics right.

Almost totally meaningless as a critique of some bodies abilities or likelihood of success.

• Like 1

Vardy for 15mil, Clark to West Brom, Micah Richards... Massively worrying rumours. Have we been linked to any good transfer moves besides selling Lowton and Weimann?

Villa don't do transfers in the press, rumours are exactly that, nothing worrying whatsoever
  • Like 1

Vardy for 15mil, Clark to West Brom, Micah Richards... Massively worrying rumours. Have we been linked to any good transfer moves besides selling Lowton and Weimann?

Villa don't do transfers in the press, rumours are exactly that, nothing worrying whatsoever
This is a bit of a myth. They don't actually announce it on the OS and everyone is supposedly surprised. Delph signing a new deal was the only one and that's because it actually happened before the game kicked off and they announced it straight away. Otherwise nearly all the transfers make it to the press obviously some aren't right but it's not difficult to work out who and which paper is reliable.

Couldn't disagree more. From the short spell we've seen under him, he's set us up to play better football, got players performing better and brought out the best in our most important player. That wasn't done because he got them working harder through motivation, its from the way the team have been set up and the way they've approached games tactically IMO.

Awful: Southampton, Arsenal

Poor:

Newcastle, Stoke, Swansea, QPR, Burnley, Man United.

Good: Everton, West Brom x2, West Ham

Very good: Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Sunderland

I think the performances under him are split, as above.

• Like 2

Â