The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

You could've got Togo in there quite easily villarocker. I am disappoint. Otherwise, good effort.

I just realised West Brom's acronym is 'would bang again'.

My lunch break had ended so I was rushing dude! ;)

This is weird. 2/3 days i thought we would be relegation battlers again. I dont even know these Jordan guys and now im super excited for the new season. Hope we can push top10. Maybe im just riding the hype train into delusion though

That's why it pays to be patient and have some patience - some always think we have to do things here and now rather than wait and see what happens. Also great that the club keep schtum and don't say a word about transfers. That way we get our man rather than do our business in the media a la Liverplop!

Kids, huh?  :)

• Like 1

Kudos to Tim for utilising the scouting network, and for bringing in an experienced assistant in Wilkins.

I have big reservations about the season ahead, but the flurry of signings means I'm being drawn into optimism and excitement again. Bloody football.

My main concern is the defence as I have little faith in Richards, Clark is coming off the back of a big injury and Okore struggled towards the end of last season. Full backs could shine or struggle from game to game, and Guzan could have doubts in his head about whether Tim even wants him here.

I think it's important we don't take what Tim says in press conferences too seriously because, rightly or wrongly, he treats them like a joke. Similar to Mourinho, he just dicks about in most of them. The most honest words you'll hear him say in my opinion are those immediately after games because he's damn passionate if nothing else, and will still be thinking about the game.

We'll take some kickings, and hopefully give some out. I'm looking forward to all the carnage :thumb:

Seriously WTF has happened to the club. Cant remember a summer we have signed so many players in quick succession and most seem like they want to come to VIlla and they also not TOnev like lucky dip transfers

• Like 2

What I keep think is that no team can really scout us at the start of the season. We could actually have one of those seasons where are more of an unknown quantity.

Obviously could work against us but I can't help thinking it will be something in our favour. Seems to be that the signing are players with enegery...exciting stuff

I just hope this new team doesn't take long to gel. Having so many new players can sometimes implode. Look at Liverpool.

well hopefully the fans give them some patience instead of jumping on their back if we lose at Bournemouth

I just hope this new team doesn't take long to gel. Having so many new players can sometimes implode. Look at Liverpool.

well hopefully the fans give them some patience instead of jumping on their back if we lose at Bournemouth

Come on get real, this is Aston Villa. I fully expect them to be booed off against Bournemouth if we don't win at least 3-0.

• Like 2

It will be a real welcome to the Premier League for our new boys... Bournemouth away in front of 16.5K supporters followed by their home bow at VP in front of 43K and only Man Utd coming to town... 6 points from 6 please....  :ph34r:

The last time I felt like this before a season started was Brian Little's first season in charge. It was the year after Big Ron nearly took us down and Brian came in and just saved us (1-1 draw at Norwich on the last day wasn't it??)

That summer we signed Southgate, Draper and Milosevic. Two players from relegated clubs and Savo a guy who no-one had really heard of. I can't remember when exactly, but I think we also brought in Alan Wright and Gary Charles - again, not household names by any means, but players who we needed.

They weren't big name or marquee signings, but it just felt like we had some kind of plan and you could just tell we would have a good season.

I've got that same feeling about this season. We have totally rebuilt our midfield and attacking unit. Gil and Kozak will be like new signings, and Grealish will get his first full season. Gaby hopefully has a renaissance. Adebayor to provide the goals with Kozak. Fullback positions look stronger, and bar Guzan's flap towards the end of last year, I don't think anyone really doubted him. Bunn looks solid anyway in the short term. The only thing missing at the minute is a centre half.

Can't actually believe how optimistic I am. Its like a totally different club, and I put it all down to Tim.

• Like 1

Looked decent tonight. Even the Wolves supporting said so.

He needs to sort out the defence though. Gabby looked poor, and i don't think Kozak is the answer despite the two goals, (bizarre to say i know but he was poor overall and terrible in the air for a big man).

Sinclair is no winger, but looked excellent in glimpses running at the defence.

Amavi? Amazing

Bunn? Excellent.

Clark and Richards could be very good together given time.

Baker? Nuff said.

Edited by Don_Simon

The last time I felt like this before a season started was Brian Little's first season in charge. It was the year after Big Ron nearly took us down and Brian came in and just saved us (1-1 draw at Norwich on the last day wasn't it??)

That summer we signed Southgate, Draper and Milosevic. Two players from relegated clubs and Savo a guy who no-one had really heard of. I can't remember when exactly, but I think we also brought in Alan Wright and Gary Charles - again, not household names by any means, but players who we needed.

They weren't big name or marquee signings, but it just felt like we had some kind of plan and you could just tell we would have a good season.

I've got that same feeling about this season. We have totally rebuilt our midfield and attacking unit. Gil and Kozak will be like new signings, and Grealish will get his first full season. Gaby hopefully has a renaissance. Adebayor to provide the goals with Kozak. Fullback positions look stronger, and bar Guzan's flap towards the end of last year, I don't think anyone really doubted him. Bunn looks solid anyway in the short term. The only thing missing at the minute is a centre half.

Can't actually believe how optimistic I am. Its like a totally different club, and I put it all down to Tim.

Nice positive post... Many likes...

1995/96 - I remember it well... the last time we beat Yanited at home in the league and i was at work... Was a great, memorable, enjoyable season that was. Hopefully we'll get Leeds United in the League Cup Final again too... 'Boom, Boom, let me hear you say Ayew, AYEW...'

Surely this is now our longest stint without a major trophy as a club... In Tim, I believe again.

• Like 1

don't know if the club are spinning it but it's interesting the job Tim seems to have done on selling the club to players , likewise when i've seen interviews with him he talks about the club almost as if he was an ex player with 500 Villa games under his belt ...

he may turn out to be the worse manager we've ever had  , but for now I'm really impressed with the guy  ... can't wait for the football season to start and it's been may years since i've felt like that ....

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 3

Wasn't that the year the PL went from 22 to 20 clubs so five clubs went down? Scary times indeed.

The bottom line is, this is exactly what we needed.

Personally i wasn't too bothered by losing Delph and Benteke, yes they were probably our 2 best players but they were still part of a team that has done nothing for 3 seasons now and basically just survived relegation each of those years. We needed a complete overhaul, i have no doubts that some of these signings won't work out but even if half of them turn out good we're still in a better position than the last 3-4 years. 

We have no identity or playing style as a club, hopefully this is the start of something new and exciting, i think we deserve it as fans after our recent troubles.

Haven't liked one of our managers so much since.... well I've never liked one of our managers so much. My adult experience has only been the last 10 years or so. I remember my old man sitting in the van wounded that Brian little was gone but I was too young for that.

Looked decent tonight. Even the Wolves supporting said so.

He needs to sort out the defence though. Gabby looked poor, and i don't think Kozak is the answer despite the two goals, (bizarre to say i know but he was poor overall and terrible in the air for a big man).

Sinclair is no winger, but looked excellent in glimpses running at the defence.

I know its opinions but i just dont get how sinclair gets praise for last night and kozak is "poor overall". Should totally swap the two opinions around.

Running with the ball when hes got about 12342342 other options available to progress the attack is not excellent. Just killed so many attacks by just holding on the ball for so long

Edited by gharperr

don't know if the club are spinning it but it's interesting the job Tim seems to have done on selling the club to players , likewise when i've seen interviews with him he talks about the club almost as if he was an ex player with 500 Villa games under his belt ...

he may turn out to be the worse manager we've ever had  , but for now I'm really impressed with the guy  ... can't wait for the football season to start and it's been may years since i've felt like that ....

I couldn't agree more. The guy has been like a breath of fresh air from the minute he came in. He wreaks of positivity and a winning mentality. 

Absolutely. Not sure about his footballing/tactical/coaching merits, and I'm probably less optimistic about next season than most, however, he's done an amazing job assembling staff and bigging the club up. The whole infrastructure now looks like that of a proper high level club, unlike in previous seasons when it was rather amateurish. Tom Fox gets his due too obviously. 

Â