The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Here's a question for y'all...

Would you rather:

1) We had kept Benteke, our one world class player, sold the others players we have sold but had 32.5 million, (or whatever sum it was), less to improve the squad.

Or...

2) Have things happen the way they happened.

In either scenario Delph is still douchebag.

Interested to see people's opinions because two months ago a team without Benteke scared the bejeesus out of me. Now? Not so much

Hard to say really.

Have to wait until the end of the season to make judgement. We could quite possibly go down even with the signings we have made.

Edited by dudevillaisnice

So do we all universally like sherwood now then? What's the fan base line?

Wasn't keen On TS appointment but in every way he has proved my doubts wrong. Did an amazing job keeping us up, has totally handled Tekers and the other leaving to our advantage, looks like he has a plan and is building a squad. Not expecting us to suddenly be top 8 again but for the first time in ages it looks and feels like we have a plan and are implementing the right people in the right places. So yeh fully behind sherwood now, actually i can't think of anyone else is rather have in charge at the moment. Also think Fox should get credit, don't like him as much as I've come to like sherwood but think he is exactly the sort of person we needed at the top.

I remember he took some grief when he revealed the release clause, but that's looking like a smart decision as well. A lot of faith in this man at the moment.

I think it should be pointed out that all he did was release knowledge of the release clause to the general public.  Actual football teams would have known already.  Benteke knows the contract he signed, so his agent knows the contract too.  His agent would have been telling every club that was sniffing around exactly how they could get their hands on his client.  Within the industry that clause would not have been a secret.

• Like 2

Genuinely buzzing for the new season!

After the FA Cup episode I was flat and looking forward to not having my weekends absorbed by football. Now - I cannot wait for the season to begin!

No bloody idea how the signings will turn out, but for now, it is **** exciting.

So do we all universally like sherwood now then? What's the fan base line?

still think hes a bit of a bellend. Less so than i thought when he was at spurs.

Still have my doubts, quite a bit too be honest. I wont be forgetting the thumping we had vs soton. 

Was worried about the defence last season, even more worried about the defence at the moment.

Its been so far a pretty dam good summer and way better than i expected (in terms of his targets, obviously sucks to tose benteke) but one good window isnt going to make me go into full on sherwood love mode. I think will be complete unknown/unpredictable team next season and we could finish 10th or get relegated and thats why im pretty excited for next season. Its still a case of "wait and see" for me as to whether i like him or not

Edited by gharperr

Despite only pre-season, defence doesn't look right to me. Micah is one who could fall out of the side pretty quickly.

Bournemouth will be such a great game for neutrals. Two attacking sides.

I remember he took some grief when he revealed the release clause, but that's looking like a smart decision as well. A lot of faith in this man at the moment.

I think it should be pointed out that all he did was release knowledge of the release clause to the general public. Actual football teams would have known already. Benteke knows the contract he signed, so his agent knows the contract too. His agent would have been telling every club that was sniffing around exactly how they could get their hands on his client. Within the industry that clause would not have been a secret.

I know, but I think having it in the open helped the whole process. Everyone knew if Liverpool wanted him then that's the price. Stops all the games being played in the media and IMO helped stop it drag on all summer.

Oh right, gotcha.  Yeah I agree on that.  It brought the Villa fans over to his side because it meant we knew his hands were tied and it meant we knew any delay was Liverpool playing silly buggers.  One of hopefully many examples where he opens his mouth and good things actually happen!

• Like 1

Genuinely buzzing for the new season!

After the FA Cup episode I was flat and looking forward to not having my weekends absorbed by football. Now - I cannot wait for the season to begin!

No bloody idea how the signings will turn out, but for now, it is **** exciting.

Just remember to drink lots of water and hug your mates, you'll be fine!

I think it should be pointed out that all he did was release knowledge of the release clause to the general public.  Actual football teams would have known already.  Benteke knows the contract he signed, so his agent knows the contract too.  His agent would have been telling every club that was sniffing around exactly how they could get their hands on his client.  Within the industry that clause would not have been a secret.

I personally think that Sherwood knew the score regarding money and was worried that he may not be able to replace the deadwood (losers) with around £20m. He probably thought to himself that he could replace Benteke's goals with the £28m we will get from the deal so decided to announce that clause in order to attract a buyer. Yeah, I think he planned it so he could get his own players in and sold Benteke for what he saw as a greater good.

Well for me I'm not convinced he will work, there is too little evidence of him personally and of the squad be has put together.

That doesn't mean I think he'll fail, just that it is hard to say.

However I have liked his approach since Day 1, and am all in favour of what is clearly a very positive, front foot approach, to the game. I enjoy listening to him, and have never really understood some of the derogatory comments about his personality.

Even more so, I don't get the idea he is\ was tactically naive - Just because he plays certain ways doesn't mean he isn't aware of others.

I also don't go along with the idea he can only motivate, or that he will struggle against top sides in particular.

I like the transfer business he has done, although Ive not seen two of them play before.

I think he recognises the need for the right characters in the side, and the need for the players on the pitch to think on their feet and have a desire, so hopefully he has knowingly bought that.

Overall then I am very positive and in favour, although wary of the unknown.

A big key will be the fanbase sticking with him, he has a huge task making the Club a success, although the support staff he has around and above him also bodes well.

Most of all I'm really looking forward to watching us.

And think we are finally going to beat United at home.

Would you rather:

1) We had kept Benteke, our one world class player, sold the others players we have sold but had 32.5 million, (or whatever sum it was), less to improve the squad.

Or...

Interested to see people's opinions because two months ago a team without Benteke scared the bejeesus out of me. Now? Not so much

For me it's an easy one, I always thought that we wouldn't get sizeable (enough) investment until we made a big money sale. Also, I always thought that relying on one man to keep us up was holding our team back from improving...just one style of play.

So to this effect, Benteke going was a bit of a no brainer for me...we can make a better team with the money from Benteke (and without replacing like for like). It's seeming like we're doing just as I would hoped, investing in the team to make it better overall and hopefully we'll see chances and goals created from other areas of the pitch as a result.

The only worry is if we have actually bought the right players, we can't know that until the season is over. I'm hoping we have, otherwise we'll be wishing we just had that one player who can keep us in the league...

Sherwood's biggest challenge is getting Randy to love the game and the club again.

We are now set up like a proper club with Fox and Almstadt; Sherwood & Wilkins look a decent pairing and if Randy finds his passion who knows how much money he could decide to reinvest, the landscape is very much different again than when he first invested following the additional Sky money. I wouldn't say we are that far behind Liverpool on paper.

Would you rather:

Or...

Option 1 would not have led to the unprecedented levels of optimism displayed thus far on here. Time will tell if it's misplaced but I'm enjoying it so far :)

Â