Carles Gil

bose

I'd love an explanation as to how someone who was performing so well has ended up being frozen out. I can only assume he keeps shitting in Sherwood's Happy Meals and stealing his toys.

Sherwood's explanation, given on two separate occasions now, is (to paraphrase) that however well Gil might have been playing, he was part of a team that had lost 7 matches in a row and Sherwood's priority is to create a team that can get points. Gil doesn't currently make it into the teams he is picking to play more attacking football that will get us enough points to stay up.

Why are the rest of the players who were part of the team that lost 7 in a row still getting a look in?

As an example of totally misunderstanding the point of a post, this is a shiner.

Eh?

It's not about the Qpr match.. It's about the treatment of a quality player. If he was on the bench or starting every now and then it wouldn't bother me. The fact that he's not been used and we have to watch dross like Richardson who shouldn't be near the bench let alone starting. He had one terrible match so will he be banished now by Sherwood? Doubt it. So why has Gil because of one poor game against stoke. Doesn't add up.

But Richardson is a left back and Gil is a winger/number 10???

Our team going forward has improved a hell of a lot since Sherwood came in and Gil hasn't been apart of that which speaks volumes.

That's not my point. Gil had a bad game and was dropped after the stoke game. He was quiet but didn't cost us points. Richardson has a howler and was at fault for two goals. Will he get the same treatment? I would play bacuna baker and Clark at left back before throwing him in again.

Our attack didn't improve due to personnel just tactics/tempo. Before Gil came the same players were in the squad under Lambert. Cleverley was so poor under Lambert but improved out of sight with Sherwood. Has nothing to do with Gil not playing. Give him a run where nzogbia was playing I bet we wouldn't have lost games to Newcastle and Swansea. Against stoke he was out wide and it was Tim's first game with little training. Hard to judge.

Anyway it iswhat it is now and he's gotten Himself injured playing under 21s when he shouldn't have been.

I'd love an explanation as to how someone who was performing so well has ended up being frozen out. I can only assume he keeps shitting in Sherwood's Happy Meals and stealing his toys.

Sherwood's explanation, given on two separate occasions now, is (to paraphrase) that however well Gil might have been playing, he was part of a team that had lost 7 matches in a row and Sherwood's priority is to create a team that can get points. Gil doesn't currently make it into the teams he is picking to play more attacking football that will get us enough points to stay up.

Why are the rest of the players who were part of the team that lost 7 in a row still getting a look in?

As an example of totally misunderstanding the point of a post, this is a shiner.

No it isn't, it's perfectly logical. Loads of players from the teams that lost 7 in a row are still playing, even when they have direct replacements that are fit and available. Baker is now fit, so surely Sherwood will drop Clark, who was in the team that lost seven in a row. Do you think that's likely? I don't. 

Being part of a team that lost seven in a row is not the reason Gil has been dropped. I don't overly care what the real reason is - it's his decision to make at the end of the day - but I do think he owes it to the fans to give an honest and clear explanation. I thought 'telling it like it is' was part of the package with him - we've all seen that video of him saying why Sandro wasn't getting a look in at Spurs. Why's he being evasive now?

• Like 1

I get the feeling Sherwood doesn't think that Gil has the character for a relegation scrap; which is kind of odd considering he was part of Elche's successful relegation scrap.

Why?

The previous explanation that was going round in here made more sense. That he maybe wasn't training well, didn't defend as much as Sherwood wanted, or Sherwood just didn't fancy him. I buy that even if I'm not sure it's the right decision.

But if it's down to being part of a team that lost 7 in a row then why aren't the rest of the players who were in that team being frozen out?

He wasn't frozen out. He lost his place fair and square.

Semantics.

Doesn't change the point. He didn't "lose his place" for being part of a seven match losing streak, otherwise everyone who played in that streak would have lost their place as well wouldn't they?

Then try re-reading your own posts.

Apart from commenting on things I did not say, your responses are erratic and quite nonsensical.

You must be trolling me.

My response was to the person who said we shouldn't change anything in attack because we scored 3 against QPR.

Football doesn't work like that. That was my point. 

We didn't play Sinclair either. So does that mean we should be perfectly happy if he doesn't get a look in again when he's fit?

Well, no, if our attackers are playing well and we are scoring goals, I do not think we should change it.

If, however, we are not scoring and the attack is failing, then Sherwood should obviously look at his other options.

but I do think he owes it to the fans to give an honest and clear explanation

He really doesn't

Okay, fair enough, but in that case I don't want to hear any moaning when people try to explain what's going on with far-fetched theories. 

He wasn't frozen out. He lost his place fair and square.

Grealish has done nothing to warrant a start let alone a place on the bench prior to the QPR match. He did very little coming off the bench bar one good cross for Benteke in one of our games. Wiemann has done fark all for a very long time. Having three defenders on the bench instead of Gil was just a slap in the face. Cole is not fit enough for premier league football anymore. Gil is the young version of Cole and he is being forced out of the club. Hes a player that brings in fans as he is technically gifted.. i am sick of seeing players that just run around and work hard and still fail to get results.

Gil worked just as hard as any other forward player does. He trains well apparantly. He was involved in Elches relegation battle and faired well. Even in the last reserve game.. Gil set up the goal and Wiemann did nothing in the same reserve fixture and Wiemann was the won brought off the bench in the next premier league game and did nothing. Something just doesnt add up and Tim Sherwood is not admitting what it is.

Exactly right. As I've said before, Sherwood is cut from a particular type of British coaching mentality that favours pace, power and all round running to genuine craft and technical ability. 

It's a shame that total underperforming shite like Weimann gets picked ahead of him, it's also a shame that Sherwood lacks the foresight to have Gil playing in a midfield three, with, for instance, Delph and Sanchez behind him. I guarantee that under that system you'd get Gil creating chances for Benteke and chipping in with a few goals himself. 

If Sherwood fails to release this soon, then it's likely we'll losing an absolute gem of a player, which would be a complete and utter shame. 

Why are people talking as if the attack has been amazing since he's been dropped and so his being frozen out is completely justified. Our attack hasn't been amazing

Compared to what we were suffering under Lambert, it's been like watching 1970s era Brazil.

Under Lambert - 16 goals in 25 games.

Under Sherwood - 11 goal in 7 games

You only have to look at Benteke to see the difference.  Sherwood isn't perfect, but he's done a lot more right than that idiot Lambert managed in 3 years.  The whole team as a unit is better, so if that means that one player isn't getting a look in, then that's what we and him have to deal with.

But scoring more goals than we did under Lambert is not the aim, it's scoring more goals than the teams we're playing against now, something we've only achieved twice, in the league under Sherwood. Plus seven of the goals we've scored under Sherwood came in two games one in which we didn't win and the other in a match where the opposition looked like they weren't even trying.

We've improved thank god, especially Benteke but I don't think it's enough to explain the mystery of Gil's absence.

• Like 1

The previous explanation that was going round in here made more sense. That he maybe wasn't training well, didn't defend as much as Sherwood wanted, or Sherwood just didn't fancy him. I buy that even if I'm not sure it's the right decision.

But if it's down to being part of a team that lost 7 in a row then why aren't the rest of the players who were in that team being frozen out?

Oh Lordy

First, my post was responding to an earlier one demanding an explanation as to why Gil is not playing. I merely pointed out that Sherwood has given an explanation twice. People may not like the explanation but no-one can say he hasn't given it.

Second, the explanation was about needing to select the players who he thinks can get us the points to stay up. So I don't think Sherwood was saying that everyone who took part in the 7 match losing steak had lost their right to be in the first team. He was saying that previous form, before he arrived, has no bearing on who he judges should be getting a start now. Like N'Zogbia has been getting games and playing well when most of the fans had written him off. Like Cleverly has suddenly started playing well when before he had seemed poor. So a player like Gil, who looked good amidst the dire, losing, relegation earning rubbish that Lambert was serving up, isn't automatically going to get a place because of his previous form. He has to show he can contribute to the way the new manager wants the team to play.

I can't get it any clearer than that and I really don't see the point in obsessing about why a particular player is not being picked.

So I think this is my last visit to this thread for a while.

• Like 3

But scoring more goals than we did under Lambert is not the aim, it's scoring more goals than the teams we're playing against now, something we've only achieved twice, in the league under Sherwood. Plus seven of the goals we've scored under Sherwood came in two games one in which we didn't win and the other in a match where the opposition looked like they weren't even trying.

We've improved thank god, especially Benteke but I don't think it's enough to explain the mystery of Gil's absence.

Yes but the best we could do under Lambert was hope for a 0-0 as we never looked like scoring. Now we do but obviously we are leaking more goals. Gil should not be the issue here because our attacking side is fine

Attacking play, defensive play, it's all about how the team play as a unit, and obviously that hasn't been amazing considering we've only beaten Sunderland and WBA and have only one point from recent matches against teams like QPR, Swansea, Stoke and Newcastle. Having someone like Gil in the team can help at both ends of the pitch. Not saying he should start every match but we might be doing better if he'd have been used more than he has been.

Â