Carles Gil

bose

1 hour ago, NottingVilla said:

Eibar are an outfit this season you don't get to 7th in La Liga without being decent. I don't think he played in the 0-4 away win at Valencia mind? Point is, he's playing in a much better team. La Liga have a new TV deal now which gives in relative terms all the 'lesser' teams quite a bit more Wonga (minimum is 50 million Euros IIRC) so Eibar may even buy him themselves. 

He's at Depor, not Eibar :P. Agree with the rest of your post though. I've seen quite a bit of them this season, and they are a much better team than us. They have also been better when he has been on the pitch. I disagree totally with those who say that he is unsuited to "English football". IMO he's unsuited to playing in a team that can't build the play properly, rather than bypassing midfield and lumping it.

• Like 3

Helped to do destroy the premier league champions in a devastating half of football, the second half set Leicester on their way to being champions of the  Premier League. Shows how fine a line it really is.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tinker said:

Helped to do destroy the premier league champions in a devastating half of football, the second half set Leicester on their way to being champions of the  Premier League. Shows how fine a line it really is.

Except he was substituted whilst we were 2-0 up before Leicester's comeback even began .... 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

are we still entertaining the idea of him coming back into our fold when all seems to point at him not wanting to be here?

Things can change - depends on his attitude and whether Bruce rates him or not. 

2 hours ago, handsworthvilla said:

Except he was substituted whilst we were 2-0 up before Leicester's comeback even began .... 

I wonder if Sherwood would change his mind about his substitution, given the chance. It would be the first question i would ask him. It was also the infamous waving his arms about tactical advice as well, comedy gold...... 

Edited by tinker

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

I wonder if Sherwood would change his mind about his substitution, given the chance. It would be the first question i would ask him. It was also the infamous waving his arms about tactical advice as well, comedy gold...... 

If I remember correctly there was uproar after the game about his substitutions as he actually brought Ayew on for Gil rather than a defender to shut up shop. 

Totally take your point about it being a thin line between success/failure though. I've often referenced the Villa vs Leicester game when talking to non-villa fans about the power of momentum in football and why Leicester won the league. After that game they just seemed to build positive momentum and had a belief that they would not get beat, whereas in the first half of that game they were dreadful, I remember us being all over them. I genuinely think that was the turning point for them and once the positive momentum swings in your favour and starts building it becomes a habit to win. They have completely the opposite situation now, they have negative momentum and every mistake seems to be punished despite having practically the same team/tactics as last year. 

Anyway I'm going off topic. Personally I liked Gil, felt he was unfairly stereotyped as being weak/fragile due to a simplistic British understanding of the game and underappreciation of technique / building the play. Very much a mute point now though as he is never coming  back so the thread can be closed. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tinker said:

That was the end of us and the beginning of Leicester. If we had won Leicester wouldnt have won the league

• Like 1

The most surprising thing is that Messi only has 4 assists.  He normally has about 35 by now.  I like Gil, he is really good technically but it's not surprising that a stereotypically Spanish footballer got bombed out by stereotypically British 'managers' like Sherwood and Black.  It's not surprising that when a bid came in he went, either.  The likes of him and Veretout are doing well and playing a lot for teams in a higher league than Villa at the mo so good on them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

reading back on this thread I will be tuning into the next Depor game to see a player compared with Messi and Ronaldo

Except nobody compared him to Ronaldo and Messi in anything other than a quirky stat about assists.

• 1 month later...

Seems he is doing good things in the Spanish league and had busquets in his back pocket on Sunday, looks like we will never see him in a Villa shirt again, another player with potential who never showed it at Villa, how many more are their going to be!! 

Â