Carles Gil

bose

22 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Haha, I don't need to ask Depor fans, I have eyes and a memory.

One of the reasons he found himself out of the team as quickly as he'd been installed into it was because he didn't work hard in defence.

Shit, didn't realise you've managed us recently - kept that quiet!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Shit, didn't realise you've managed us recently - kept that quiet!

You don't have to be Manager to understand why at times, certain players and playing and others are not.

You do of course have to have a snippet of a clue about football though.

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I wasn't a huge fan of him or Veretout. But one of the lessons I've learnt this year is that my god you need a squad in this league. 

I'd happily accept any player back that wanted to be here.

Last sentence is the key. I wouldn't be opposed Gil coming back. I don't particularly rate him but he should be good enough at this level, but I'd rather not have him if he wanted out. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I wasn't a huge fan of him or Veretout. But one of the lessons I've learnt this year is that my god you need a squad in this league. 

I'd happily accept any player back.....that is good enough.

And they HAVE to prove they are.

21 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You don't have to be Manager to understand why at times, certain players and playing and others are not.

You do of course have to have a snippet of a clue about football though.

But Gil did track and defend?  He wasn't that effective at it, but he still did it.

Interesting that "one of the reasons he was dropped" was because of not doing this, whereas others, who definitely didn't bother tracking back, remained in the team? :detect: 

21 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Veretout - yes. Gil - no.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Add them to a few other players alot deemed as shite while we had them.

A lot of them performed like shite when we had them. Or weren't performing at the level the club were at when they were here. 

That's been a big problem

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Can't post link but read earlier that he says he wants to stay at Depor next season....

Best news I have heard all week. Can we close the thread now? 

• Like 3

I liked Gil and he has something about him, and yes, he did try and track back despite being a number 10, but it's probably best for everyone that we move on. 

I would argue all day long that he isn't/wasn't a good player though. We hardly utilised him last season. We were crying out for a play-maker/number 10 for ages, we finally found someone who was composed in the ball and could pick a pass and he was lumped on the wing a good chunk of the games he did play. 

He's not a world beater but he was a player with a bit of creativity that we failed to utilise. We already had Gana and Westwood plonked in our own half, asking him to get back in our own half too defeats the whole purpose of that sort of player. 

• Like 1

He obviously wants to stay in Spain so lets sell him in the summer. I don't recall we paid that much for him so lets do the deal and move on.

How good a player he was or is is pretty academic.

Edited by Harry

16 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think we're done with him. He doesn't want to play in the championship and he's certainly not good enough for the Premier League. 

But doing quite well in La Liga by all accounts so that's most likely where he'll be playing next season. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â