Carles Gil

bose

9 hours ago, vreitti said:

That's got to be the worst Villa lineup ever.

Richards for Okore and maybe squeeze in Richardson and SInclair somewhere and you wont be far off

actually could play with all 14 players and still look shit

22 hours ago, vreitti said:

That's got to be the worst Villa lineup ever.

The lineup where we drew 1-1 with Blackburn under Mcleish is up there with the worst too.

--------------Given----------------

Hutton----Collins----Cuellar----Warnock

Albrighton--Herd--Petrov--N'zogbia

---------------Ireland-----------------

-----------Agbonlahor--------------

Anyway, I would have liked Gil to be recalled. We didn't have a shot on target against Norwich until the 90th minute, and I'm often looking at the bench for players who can create chances for the strikers and all I see is Grealish and Adomah.

Edited by guyavfc

42 minutes ago, guyavfc said:

The lineup where we drew 1-1 with Blackburn under Mcleish is up there with the worst too.

--------------Given----------------

Hutton----Collins----Cuellar----Warnock

Albrighton--Herd--Petrov--N'zogbia

---------------Ireland-----------------

-----------Agbonlahor--------------

Anyway, I would have liked Gil to be recalled. We didn't have a shot on target against Norwich until the 90th minute, and I'm often looking at the bench for players who can create chances for the strikers and all I see is Grealish and Adomah.

I see your Mcleish and I raise you Villa 0 Wigan 3.

• 22 Guzan
  • 06 Clark
  • 27 Bennett
  • 30 Lichaj (Albrighton - 64' )
  • 34 Lowton Booked
  • 07 Ireland (El Ahmadi - 63' )
  • 25 Bannan Booked
  • 31 Herd
  • 14 Holman (Bowery - 63' )
  • 20 Benteke
  • 26 Weimann Booked

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/20823064

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

• 22 Guzan
  • 06 Clark
  • 27 Bennett
  • 34 Lowton Booked
  • 25 Bannan Booked
  • 31 Herd
  • 20 Benteke
  • 26 Weimann Booked

It's incredible how we stayed up for so long. I seem to recall an injury crisis under Houllier and he had to play a Midfield of Albrighton Bannan Hogg and Herd (or something similar). Pretty sure we got a result too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, guyavfc said:

It's incredible how we stayed up for so long. I seem to recall an injury crisis under Houllier and he had to play a Midfield of Albrighton Bannan Hogg and Herd (or something similar). Pretty sure we got a result too.

Wasn't that when we lost in the last minute to United, but had been 2-0 up at one point?

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Wasn't that when we lost in the last minute to United, but had been 2-0 up at one point?

It was a last minute Macheda goal to draw 2-2 as I remember it. Played them off the park that day, with Bannan and Hogg in midfield :lol: 

But jesus christ, that lineup against Wigan though :blink: . Wtf was that

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it was and we actually had Clark in midfield too, who scored both goals.

Edit: I was thinking of a different game. The one we lost 3-2 in the last minute, we even had Enda Stevens playing :lol:

Edited by guyavfc

31 minutes ago, guyavfc said:

I think it was and we actually had Clark in midfield too, who scored both goals.

Edit: I was thinking of a different game. The one we lost 3-2 in the last minute, we even had Enda Stevens playing :lol:

Clark in midfield was against Arsenal around the same time under Houllier

• 2 weeks later...

Another assist for Gil in a 2-0 win over Osasuna.

They have turned their season around since he came back into the team with a 5-1 victory over Real Sociedad, a narrow loss to Real Madrid and a win again last night.

He is having no luck with injuries though straining ligaments in his left knee during the match and will be on the sidelines again for the next 2-3 weeks.

Edited by Michael118
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

Another assist for Gil in a 2-0 win over Osasuna.

They have turned their season around since he came back into the team with a 5-1 victory over Real Sociedad, a narrow loss to Real Madrid and a win again last night.

He is having no luck with injuries though straining ligaments in his left knee during the match and will be on the sidelines again for the next 2-3 weeks.

I honestly think he might well do well over in Spain, but how many players come here and struggle? I think he's one of those. He's obviously technically gifted, but for whatever reason (and I'm not going to say his size because I don't think it's that) I don't think he's ever going to be a consistent performer in any English league.

it is most certainly a shame though because I wanted him to do so well when he was here.

On 23/12/2016 at 12:20, rodders0223 said:

• 22 Guzan
  • 06 Clark
  • 27 Bennett
  • 34 Lowton Booked
  • 25 Bannan Booked
  • 31 Herd
  • 20 Benteke
  • 26 Weimann Booked

This is incredible. Who's in defence?

Lichaz Lowton Clark Bennet?

Actually, Gil's injury was sustained during training on Thursday and has just been reported. The match was played on the 19th. I didn't get much sleep last night...

Mjvilla - I don't see any reason why he can't make it in England. He has all the attributes. 

On 22 December 2016 at 15:17, TRO said:

I agree, just to add......

The sad fact is some spectators fail to take that in to consideration when appraising players.

Messi a slight as he is ....is robust and durable, so was Carbone, so is coutinho.....I guess Merse ( the magic man) had some shoulders.

Steve Bruce has already nailed his colours to the mast( thank god) by saying "if you haven't got the physical attributes you will struggle in the game"

Its not really about size although it can help.....its about embracing the contact side of the game. ( I still think we have more work to do on that)

In my opinion its a given.

Personally I hate seeing players consistently shoved off the ball legitimately.....or losing it in one on one duels.

We all like to see players exhibit their silky skills, but sometimes its at a price not worth paying.

I see. TRO made the same point I did but a lot better than I did @Michael118. I think this is exactly what I meant and why I don't think he'd make it in England. Thanks TRO

30 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Not a great fan of his but we are lacking skill under Bruce. The football in many way us worse than it was under RDM, but the results aren't.

We are lacking skill under Bruce, because in the main we have an unbalanced team.

He knows that and will be working on it.

its took Pulis some time to prove to their fans that "champagne football" does not always get results....and they have been a difficult bunch to convince.

If you take an incident from yesterday's Prem where Costa muscled his way in to a challenge in the box, won his duel and then released his skill to drive home a clinical goal.......you need the physical element in this game, its crucial to success.

When you are winning the physical side.....then you can unleash the skill.

Despite us making significant inroads under Bruce, I still don't think we have mastered the art yet of physically imposing ourselves.....we are still WIP.

Paradoxically, I still think we have much to learn

at this point in time, the results are the most important, the various elements will improve in time ,I have no doubt.

you can't improve everything immediately.....Leeds have shown that.

Â