Carles Gil

bose

6 hours ago, Eastie said:

Get rid - preferably permanently but a loan deal better than no deal - don't see him figuring for us again.

6 hours ago, villa89 said:

We can't force a team to sign him. He's worth what someone is willing to spend so if it's only a loan then that's better than nothing. He has no future here.

I'm sure he does not see himself playing for us again either but he seems to want it all his own way and I think we need to play a little hard ball now. He will run down his contract and we will end up getting nothing for him if we agree to another loan deal. If the loan club are paying all of his wages rather than say 50% or less there is something in it for us as there may be if Betis offer money for the player now. But Bruce may want to look at the player in pre-season if another loan or a small fee are the only available options before making a decision on what is still our player's future.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If some other club pay for him, then fine, but otherwise he should be reporting back for training as he is contracted to do. A loan with no possibility of a fee is just a waste of time though. 

I agree.. and i have no doubt if a fee couldnt be agreed that he would come and play.. and play his best. Spanish press seem to think the fee will be agreed soon as it is close. Maybe they have offered 2 million.. it does appear he will be a Betis player.

4 hours ago, terrytini said:

A none entity and yet another example of the flawed recruitment that has us in the Championship while Huddersfield, Bournemouth, and others are thriving.

This is just utter bollocks.  

The season that Bournemouth were promoted, they signed Dan Gosling, Andrew Surman, Junior Stanislas and Callum Wilson (along with Kenwyne Jones on loan).  Imagine if we signed rejected Premier League players on free transfers and last seasons League One top scorer.  Our fans wouldn't be praising our brilliant recruitment at all :D

Even ignoring the tight financial constrictions we were under at the time of signing Gil, I'm all in favour of scouting Spain and purchasing players for £3m.  Sometimes it doesn't work out.  (Personally, always thought he was a decent player).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KSV said:

Real Betis close to agreeing a fee apparently. Sad to see him go.. would have preferred to see him play under an actual manager.. and not just Tim Sherwood. It is what it is.. Good luck to Carles. If anything.. he was a good professional and seems like a nice guy. 

Yes, I often think a good professional and a nice guy is someone who gets his agent to publicly state he had no interest in playing for a team just weeks after relegation. 

• Like 3

Just now, terrytini said:

Our recruitment has been awful.

If you don't think so, well whoopy do.

I don't disagree - players haven't worked out for us.  You brought up Bournemouth, just imagine us signing those players this season.  There'd honestly be uproar on here and "Bruce out" all over the place (even more than usual!).

Gil at £3m isn't a big risk and he isn't a bad player.  As I say, it just hasn't worked out.

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

So I've no idea which bit is, to use your cultured expression, bollocks.

That Gil represents our flawed recruitment.  He doesn't.  He was a cheap gamble.

Amavi for £9m, Veretout for £7m, Gestede for £7m, McCormack for £13m.  There are your flawed recruitment choices (FWIW, I like Veretout as a player).

Just now, bobzy said:

I don't disagree - players haven't worked out for us.  You brought up Bournemouth, just imagine us signing those players this season.  There'd honestly be uproar on here and "Bruce out" all over the place (even more than usual!).

Gil at £3m isn't a big risk and he isn't a bad player.  As I say, it just hasn't worked out.

So which bit was bollocks ?

Just because some people would moan if we bought XY or Z doesn't mean our recruitment was good, or theirs bad ?

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yes, I often think a good professional and a nice guy is someone who gets his agent to publicly state he had no interest in playing for a team just weeks after relegation. 

Would've been better if he got pissed abroad, photographed in the street and then failed to perform in the coming season instead, right?

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

That Gil represents our flawed recruitment.  He doesn't.  He was a cheap gamble.

Amavi for £9m, Veretout for £7m, Gestede for £7m, McCormack for £13m.  There are your flawed recruitment choices (FWIW, I like Veretout as a player).

Right at least I know know which bit you meant. 

So basically because YOU think he was ok my view is bollocks ?

Riiigghht....

Â