Carles Gil

bose

It could be that Sherwood decided that he was too risky given our situation - Grealish works hard for the team as well as providing flair - from what we saw of Gil he doesn't/didn't bust a gut to help out defensively. 

Maybe we'll see more of him if we play a different style next season and are doing better?

He seemed willing to press, I know he struggled to track back when he was playing on the right wing, but I don't think it should have stopped him being an option from the bench at least for when we were chasing a game or needed to keep possession as he is as technically gifted as I've seen play for us. It's not as if we were using wingers that much anyway so he wouldn't really need to track back as much. I suspect that because he didn't run through brick walls in training and possibly can't speak English, Sherwood just decided to ignore him. I'd be disappointed if it were the case, but I'm struggling to think of anything else. I hope another PL team takes a punt on him if he does leave.

That would be a possible explanation if it wasn't for the fact N'Zogbia does nothing defensively.

True, for the Walcott goal he tracked him until the edge of the area and then just let him run free so he was unchallenged when he got his shot in.

Would have loved to see him come on in the second half of the cup final instead of same old, same old...or against Burnley or Saints - both dead games with a chance to try something new and when we should have been resting Jack (amongst others).

I'm still clinging to the tiniest amount of hope that we'll see a new, solid spine for next season that will allow us to play Grealish, Gil and Benteke up front.

Really tiny.

Miniscule.

Looked great against Liverpool and Chelsea, he demonstrated a lot of ability and showed he was 'mentally' up to this league.

His treatment has been shocking by Sherwood, he's a player that instantly adds quality to not only the squad, but the first team itself, he'd deliver a lot more than someone like N'Zogbia, that's for sure.

This is just a shocking oversight by the manager.

I asked before. Could you let us know what's happened?

I can't quite believe it really. 

(I know he's not completely proven) but to me it's the equivalent to him having taken over at Spurs just after they'd signed Eriksen and completely removing him from the squad. Madness. He's not even had a chance. 

It's nowhere near like that. Eriksen is a proven International and played a tonne of games at Ajax, he was also fantastic, scoring goals, for Spurs. Gil is a player we'd seen a couple of times, who was sold on by his previous club for a very small fee and his only season in a top league was being part of attack at Elche that was worse than Villa's this season.

The PL really is stuck in a different era. No wonder our top clubs are consistently played off the pitch in Europe. It's embarrassing. 

Didn't 3 different Premier League sides win the Champions League in recent years? How far do you have to go back to find 3 nations of another league winning it?

In two of those the PL sides were blown away. You'll be hard pressed to find a luckier result than Chelsea-Bayern. Still, we can carry on believing there's nothing wrong with our philosophy and keep scratching our heads when some 'lesser' South American country run rings around our national side full of PL athlete cloggers.

It's possibly straw-clutching, but Sherwood did say after Saturday's dire game that there were people who weren't playing at the moment that new players would get the best out of.  Perhaps he means Gil?  There aren't any direct quotes that he wants shut of him, any road.

Looked great against Liverpool and Chelsea, he demonstrated a lot of ability and showed he was 'mentally' up to this league.

His treatment has been shocking by Sherwood, he's a player that instantly adds quality to not only the squad, but the first team itself, he'd deliver a lot more than someone like N'Zogbia, that's for sure.

Give it a rest mate

I'm still clinging to the hope that Sherwood went with players he was familiar with, given the remit he was given to keep us in the Prem. Maybe going with Gil was a little too risky for the situation at hand. If thats the case, then it was job done.

Seems Gil was benched.

It's possibly straw-clutching, but Sherwood did say after Saturday's dire game that there were people who weren't playing at the moment that new players would get the best out of.  Perhaps he means Gil?  There aren't any direct quotes that he wants shut of him, any road.

The death knell for me was him not making the 18 for the Burnley game. If he can't even be involved against a team already relegated then he has no future here.

First black mark against the manager for me, I think he's got this one wrong and will have to sign a really good playmaker replacement to make up for this and do you really think that's likely with our budget?

• Like 3

The death knell for me was him not making the 18 for the Burnley game. If he can't even be involved against a team already relegated then he has no future here.

First black mark against the manager for me, I think he's got this one wrong and will have to sign a really good playmaker replacement to make up for this and do you really think that's likely with our budget?

Careful Chris, you might get labelled a moaning doom and gloom merchant.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

Seems Gil was benched.

That's what I thought. So not really shocking treatment then.

HE WAS INJURED

I'm still clinging to the hope that Sherwood went with players he was familiar with, given the remit he was given to keep us in the Prem. Maybe going with Gil was a little too risky for the situation at hand. If thats the case, then it was job done.

Does Tim strike you as the cautious type?

I find it baffling if Gil does leave, he was one of the first players Sherwood heaped praise on when he arrived, stating Gil could open a tin with his left foot it was that good.

I'm hoping Gil is retained and one of the players Sherwood alluded to, that weren't playing due to the style of play.

Does Tim strike you as the cautious type?

TBH he never struck me as the type to take on the Villa job, but there you go. Maybe he found it was going to be tougher then he thought?

Â