Carles Gil

bose

I can't quite believe it really. 

(I know he's not completely proven) but to me it's the equivalent to him having taken over at Spurs just after they'd signed Eriksen and completely removing him from the squad. Madness. He's not even had a chance. 

maybe there is something else behind the scenes with Gil that we don't know about. 

Maybe he just doesn't seem to try in training, or maybe he slept with Sherwoods daughter.

(disclaimer - i have no idea if Sherwood has a daughter, nor if anyone is sleeping with her)

I think obviously it's something behind the scenes.

It may be as simple as he's an incredibly poor trainer or he's homesick, or it may be something more complicated, who knows.

I can't believe it's down to performances on the pitch though. If it is then it's baffling.

(I know he's not completely proven) but to me it's the equivalent to him having taken over at Spurs just after they'd signed Eriksen and completely removing him from the squad. Madness. He's not even had a chance. 

It's nowhere near like that. Eriksen is a proven International and played a tonne of games at Ajax, he was also fantastic, scoring goals, for Spurs. Gil is a player we'd seen a couple of times, who was sold on by his previous club for a very small fee and his only season in a top league was being part of attack at Elche that was worse than Villa's this season.

The PL really is stuck in a different era. No wonder our top clubs are consistently played off the pitch in Europe. It's embarrassing. 

Didn't 3 different Premier League sides win the Champions League in recent years? How far do you have to go back to find 3 nations of another league winning it?

• Like 1

Another £3m down the shitter.

As I said before, it's an absolutely pointless waste of money. 

Even if it's a mental issue, didn't the guy show enough on the pitch to make it worth, I don't know, sending him to a sports psychologist or something rather than just giving up on him? 

Looked great against Liverpool and Chelsea, he demonstrated a lot of ability and showed he was 'mentally' up to this league. 

His treatment has been shocking by Sherwood, he's a player that instantly adds quality to not only the squad, but the first team itself, he'd deliver a lot more than someone like N'Zogbia, that's for sure. 

This is just a shocking oversight by the manager.

The PL really is stuck in a different era. No wonder our top clubs are consistently played off the pitch in Europe. It's embarrassing.

It's been the problem with English football since the dawn of time. Pace, power and physicality is always preferred to actual football ability.

Campbell, Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney all score in CL finals for English clubs. But they're just overrated players playing for overrated clubs.

And in what has basically been a few cameo appearances, Gil is somehow better than the quartet of English midfielders we often play well.

Edited by kurtsimonw

It's nowhere near like that. Eriksen is a proven International and played a tonne of games at Ajax, he was also fantastic, scoring goals, for Spurs. Gil is a player we'd seen a couple of times, who was sold on by his previous club for a very small fee and his only season in a top league was being part of attack at Elche that was worse than Villa's this season.

You have misunderstood me. I said if he has taken over just after they'd signed Eriksen, so scoring goals and playing well for Spurs would have been irrelevant. 

In terms of the fees we're spending at the moment and the caliber of players we sign (also the fact he'd been man of the match in most of the games he'd players for us. Relative to Spurs I feel it's a fair comparison. 

Campbell, Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney all score in CL finals for English clubs. But they're just overrated players playing for overrated clubs.

And in what has basically been a few cameo appearances, Gil is somehow better than the quartet of English midfielders we often play well.

That's not even remotely close to what anyone is arguing

That's not even remotely close to what anyone is arguing

agree to disagree disagree. Suggesting English players are the reason we're played off the park in Europe? Saying it's been a "problem" since the "dawn of time". You'd think English sides have never won anything.

It could be that Sherwood decided that he was too risky given our situation - Grealish works hard for the team as well as providing flair - from what we saw of Gil he doesn't/didn't bust a gut to help out defensively. 

Maybe we'll see more of him if we play a different style next season and are doing better? 

Â