Carles Gil

bose

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

There's that phrase again, "very good". 

He's had maybe 4/5 good games for the club. The rest of the time he's achieved the grand total of **** all. He's been useless when he's not on form, which has been most of the time for us.

Now, that's not to say I don't think he might be serviceable. Maybe this manager, a good manager in my opinion, could get some level of consistency from him. I doubt it, but I don't know either way for sure. However in no way shape or form has Gil proven himself "very good". At anything.

" Very good " .

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He's had maybe 4/5 good games for the club. The rest of the time he's achieved the grand total of **** all. He's been useless when he's not on form, which has been most of the time for us.

Now, that's not to say I don't think he might be serviceable. Maybe this manager, a good manager in my opinion, could get some level of consistency from him. I doubt it, but I don't know either way for sure. However in no way shape or form has Gil proven himself "very good". At anything.

I'll stick with the very good bit but the most important bit you left out and that was attacking. He is for me a very good attacking player but he doesn't work hard enough and is a liability. He has shown enough skill to warrant another chance. He's had crap managers whilst he's been here playing in a very crap team. There's that word very again!!! 

On 02/11/2016 at 18:05, DCJonah said:

Darren M I believe. Used the phrase he could take it round anyone. 

May have said that, can't be bothered to check. Obviously it would be rhetorical. What's wrong with that?

8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

He's got a fair amount of skill ,but at that level ,not enough to compensate for his lack of pace .

I think this is the point with Gil, technically he's good enough and mentally he can pick a pass. But physically he's not strong enough or fast enough and mentally he does not have enough determination or mindful ness of the defensive side of the game. 

When he does something he does it well, if he doesn't have the ball he's not much use, not having the ball has been villas game plan for 5 years. 

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I agree

I think the trap we can all fall in to is,picking a couple of attributes that a player does well with and forgetting the necessity of the ones he doesn't possess that the role needs.

We can all be guilty of this....Players need to be rounded and consistent to be " good "....They need many tools in the tool box, not just a hammer and a wrench.

sorry for the analogy

47 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

He's got a fair amount of skill ,but at that level ,not enough to compensate for his lack of pace .

yes, he can't get away from his opponent....and furthermore hasn't got the physique to hold them off either.

talented, but limited.

I did not have Gil down as the holding midfielder type and more of a tranquilest magician.. a Carbone type of player. 

Likes quick one touch classy passing, making darting moves and give and go's etc.

Something we need - something we have not had for many years. He is our player so get him back I say!

I feel he offers this team something at this level.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Players contracted to a team are well with in their rights to look for offers elsewhere? Are they?

His intentions where not to play in the champsionship, he was happy having that out there in the press. Defend it if you want, but it's a scum bag move. 

Why wouldn't they be well within their rights to do so? Because you don't like it? That's how football works, agents are constantly on the lookout for the best deals that suit both themselves and their client. The only difference here is that Gil's agent put their intentions out there.

Just because his intentions offend you doesn't mean he refused to play for Aston Villa, which I notice you're not addressing. He may have preferred to play elsewhere while we were in the Championship, but in no way is that the same as refusing to play.

• Like 2

The thing I enjoyed about him (on the whole) is that he played football with a smile on his face.  Was delighted whenever anyone scored - it didn't need to be just him.  Very similar to Carlos Sanchez in that regard; just really likeable players.

The problem with Sanchez was that he didn't have enough calmness/presence in an area that really needed it which made him a liability.  Gil, playing further up the pitch, didn't carry as much of a burden so whilst he got bullied off the ball, it didn't matter as much (definitely a weakness of his, of course).  The goals he scored were absolute class and that's likely why (some) people remember him fondly.

Personally, I'd like that excitement back in our side.  I don't think Gil would work under Bruce as he isn't "workmanlike" enough.  He has flair and can produce moments of brilliance but isn't consistent enough at doing that.  I think it could be worked on and he could become a much better player (he's only young after all) but I can't see it happening here.  For me, that's a shame.  Let's hope Grealish can become that sort of player.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The thing I enjoyed about him (on the whole) is that he played football with a smile on his face.  Was delighted whenever anyone scored - it didn't need to be just him.  Very similar to Carlos Sanchez in that regard; just really likeable players.

The problem with Sanchez was that he didn't have enough calmness/presence in an area that really needed it which made him a liability.  Gil, playing further up the pitch, didn't carry as much of a burden so whilst he got bullied off the ball, it didn't matter as much (definitely a weakness of his, of course).  The goals he scored were absolute class and that's likely why (some) people remember him fondly.

Personally, I'd like that excitement back in our side.  I don't think Gil would work under Bruce as he isn't "workmanlike" enough.  He has flair and can produce moments of brilliance but isn't consistent enough at doing that.  I think it could be worked on and he could become a much better player (he's only young after all) but I can't see it happening here.  For me, that's a shame.  Let's hope Grealish can become that sort of player.

The way he was playing with a smile like it was his debut every game after being recalled under Garde like he wasn't completely ostracized for almost a whole season was one of the few highlights of last season.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Why wouldn't they be well within their rights to do so? Because you don't like it? That's how football works, agents are constantly on the lookout for the best deals that suit both themselves and their client. The only difference here is that Gil's agent put their intentions out there.

Just because his intentions offend you doesn't mean he refused to play for Aston Villa, which I notice you're not addressing. He may have preferred to play elsewhere while we were in the Championship, but in no way is that the same as refusing to play.

I think there's pretty strict rules in place that make it not within their right. I think it's ridiculous to say he's well within his right to look for offers elsewhere. Until the club grant him permission he is paid and under contract for Aston villa football club. I'd love to see the reaction if Richards or Bacuna had their agents make similar comments. 

I've addressed it many times, the phrase clearly shows he wasn't go to play for us. Like I said, if I told my boss my intention was not to come into work next week, or told my bank my intention was to stop paying my mortgage, it's pretty clear how that would be taken.

You've defended it because for some reason you have a soft spot for him but it's an absolutely scum bag move. 

7 hours ago, BOF said:

This is one where heart rules head.  But I'm allowed to do that because football is emotional.  I must admit I'd love to see Gil back and doing those wonderful technical things he could do on his day.  He gave us some of our best moments of magic while he was here.  I know he said some things and I know he probably wasn't thrilled about the prospect of playing in the Championship (were any of us?), but maybe the way things have panned out in Spain will give him a bit more humility.  Hell if Gabby can come back in from the cold then anyone can.  I don't think Carles burned his bridges that badly did he?  As I say, I fully accept this is heart over head but I think there's a cracking little player in there and still one of the best technicians in the squad.

Where does he fit in? Bruce doesn't play with a number 10 and he's not good enough to take any spots out wide. 

He'd be swapping the bench in a league he wants to play in for a bench in a league he had no intention of playing in.

I'd imagine he'd be absolutely gutted if we recalled him. 

18 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Likes quick one touch classy passing, making darting moves and give and go's etc.

I didn't see him play quick one touch passes. I saw him hold onto the ball far too long trying to beat the same player over and over 

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

I didn't see him play quick one touch passes. I saw him hold onto the ball far too long trying to beat the same player over and over 

Due to no one being on his wave length 75% of the time.

I believe his talent was being held back with the likes of Veretout.. Westwood.. etc.

If he ain't getting service and support.. how is he supposed to develop around shit?

• Like 1

Â