Scott Sinclair

The_Rev

I had as feeling he would score some goals this year, but have to admit that I thought he would drop out of the team when our flair players came back to fitness. If we play 4-4-2, I assumed the strikers would be 2 from Gabby, Ayew, Rudy and Kozak, and Sinclair would be competing with Grealish for left wing, and there is only one winner there (or is there....)

However, given the last week, and the fact he scored plenty of goals in pre-season, I just don't see how we can leave him out of the team. I think his form is the reason why we won't see Grealish, Gil and Adama all playing together, because the left wing/forward spot is now Sinclair's to lose. I can't see us playing Sinclair up front, as the reason he is finding space is that the main striker e.g. Gestede is keeping the centre backs busy.

Next game will be Sinclair, Grealish and Adama behind Gestede I think.

I agree with all of this & think that is out best 3, Grealish playing the free role. A more mobile striker ahead of them and we'd have the makings of a top 10 side. I still have major doubts whether Gestede is going to be effextive enough to have any impact.

• 2 weeks later...

From the OS, bear with me as I'm not used to this new forum yet so can't figure out how to quote it.

http://mobile.avfc.co.uk/default.aspx?s=news-display&aid=4995609

Sherwood said: "I've told Scott his best asset is scoring goals. 

"Any player would like that as their best asset but he's got to find the best way to get himself in the right positions as many times as he can. 

"To stick Scott out on the left hand side when he's got limited chances to score, I think is a waste. 

"I'm not saying he can't play on the left but he then needs to burst down the middle and make those runs. 

"I'm telling him in training at the moment, and I only have to say it once, when the midfield player gets the ball, all I want him to see is your number running away.

I'm glad Sherwood sees him playing down the middle too.

Hot and cold player, I'm afraid. Not going to be on it every game as we saw when he came in last season, started off well, scored a few, had an awful game v Swansea and barely made the 11 after.

He can at least score goals but I've always seen him as a squad player this season tbh, that's if we can ever get Gil, Grealish and Adam all fit at the same time.

Hot and cold player, I'm afraid. Not going to be on it every game as we saw when he came in last season, started off well, scored a few, had an awful game v Swansea and barely made the 11 after.

He can at least score goals but I've always seen him as a squad player this season tbh, that's if we can ever get Gil, Grealish and Adam all fit at the same time.

Indeed, he's Jekyll and Hyde. Thought he was piss poor today but he's certainly capable on his day. His lack of consistency is precisely why he's playing for us rather than a side competing in the top half.

I think another issue with people saying he should play centre forward is that against physical centre halfs like today v Morgan and Huth I honestly don't think he'd fancy it, he dosen't look like a physical player to me, at least Gabby will take some fouls and give as good as he gets.

That and playing back to goal, if we stick with 4-3-3 rather Sinclair is one of the wide players or indeed on the bench when Adama is fit.

• Like 1

I'd play him as our central striker at this point in time. 

Westwood and Gueye Holding 

Grealish, Gill and Traore in front 

Sinclair up top 

Get it down and play fast, passing football. Tell the three wonderkids to keep swapping around. As long as they work back, the two holding should provide a secure platform. 

We we don't need a target man per say, the movement and skill of that front four would be frightening to play against. 

Not consistent enough for me

On fire one game missing the next

Oh I dunno.  By that description, a one in two strike rate is pretty good ;):P

But all joking aside, if he's not scoring in a game there are plenty of others whose job it is to help out.  That ignores the fact he's not even the primary scorer.  It's only because he has started scoring so many that people have put him on that pedestal.  Which is credit to him in itself.

Edited by BOF

Sorry but i really really really really dislike sinclair. Honestly think hes nzogbia 2.0 but with a bit better movement in the box. Its like playing with 10 men so often and when he does get the ball he often just runs into defenders/loses it in some way.

Â