January Transfer Speculation 2015

Supervillan78

Link to Robbie Keane on Irishtimes (via News now);

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/undecided-robbie-keane-held-in-high-regard-by-redknapp-and-lambert-1.2034511

I'd personally love him back in Claret and Blue but not sure that is part nostalgia/ hero worship from my younger years or whether he'd actually be of any use in the here and now.

If Bent went out on loan and Keane came in it'd be aces. Off the bench to play off Benteke who seems so good at coming deeper to pick up the ball and hold up play to bring in others. 

Think about it, we bring Keane & Cole in off the bench in a pre planned formation change when we need a goal. 

Link to Robbie Keane on Irishtimes (via News now);

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/undecided-robbie-keane-held-in-high-regard-by-redknapp-and-lambert-1.2034511

I'd personally love him back in Claret and Blue but not sure that is part nostalgia/ hero worship from my younger years or whether he'd actually be of any use in the here and now.

No Defoe links yet?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2870016/Ryan-Shawcross-tracked-Roma-Dinamo-Moscow-Lukas-Podolski.html

Aston Villa and Sunderland have joined Hull by showing interest in Manchester United's Darren Fletcher.

The 30-year-old has six months left on his contract at Old Trafford and is at a crunch time in his career. He wants to stay at United but also wants to play and his opportunities have been limited owing to the signings of Ander Herrera and Daley Blind.

A raft of injuries have presented him with chances from the bench but other Premier League sides are willing to give him the chance to play more regularly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2870016/Ryan-Shawcross-tracked-Roma-Dinamo-Moscow-Lukas-Podolski.html

Aston Villa and Sunderland have joined Hull by showing interest in Manchester United's Darren Fletcher.

The 30-year-old has six months left on his contract at Old Trafford and is at a crunch time in his career. He wants to stay at United but also wants to play and his opportunities have been limited owing to the signings of Ander Herrera and Daley Blind.

A raft of injuries have presented him with chances from the bench but other Premier League sides are willing to give him the chance to play more regularly.

If only this were true! I'd love him here.

Darren Fletcher was the kind of player that was ridiculed for large parts of his career, always not been good enough for United, but in the end he became a very important player. He has excellent tactical and analytical skills on the pitch, he makes other players better. A bit like Carrick at the moment, you can see that he calms the other players down and makes only the right decisions. Fletcher of course is much less of a pass- and playmaker, but that suits a poor team like ours well.

Players like Darren Fletcher would make us much, much better.

• Like 1

Yeah Paps has summed him up quite well. I just worry the illness has taken a lot out of him, didn't he miss never enough two years of football? Looked a bit poor in his Man. United appearences this season.

I'd love to have him, as well. Perhaps those two years missed are two years less wear and tear for him to carry with him into his 30s. And to be fair, most of the United team have looked poor in their appearances this season.

If Delph doesn't want to sign I'd sell him and I think Fletcher would be an ideal replacement. At 30 I can't see that many top clubs after him so he'd be looking at mid to lower PL that would IMO be us amongst others. I'd actually prefer him to Cleverley.

As for the biggest signing that got away it's got to be looking at Sheringham and ending up with the crap cockney Irish italian fella who says burmenham! It cost us the league!

As far as potential signings that did not quite ever happen how about Bergkamp, Lineker, Hans Krankl, Gazza and Dave Mackay? 

"Darren Fletcher was the kind of player that was ridiculed for large parts of his career, always not been good enough for United, but in the end he became a very important player. He has excellent tactical and analytical skills on the pitch, he makes other players better. A bit like Carrick at the moment," Or a bit like Cleverley might yet become Papillon?

I think the question is whether Fletcher's illness has and will have an ongoing impact on him. A loan move would be worth considereing but I would guess the usual clubs for ex-Manchester United players who have already been linked with him will be a more likely destination for him.

If Keane is available and wants to join us I would not say no to that. He is another player we almost got and that we did at long last see in a Villa shirt albeit for only a couple of games. He is not getting any younger but he would offer us an option that we would need up front in the event of another injury or suspension and the price would be right for us.