January Transfer Speculation 2015

Supervillan78

There is next to no point signing a new striker if you aren't going to service them properly or be able to have better control of a game.

As the forwards and defensive players we have are decent we should be spending all our available money this year and next on midfielders.

No way on earth would I sign Cleverley for 8m he isn't what is needed we have a carbon copy in Westwood already......

We need a box to box midfielder and an attacking midfielder, we also cant do it on the cheap.

My suggestion would be Dembele for box to box which I imagine would take up the entire budget and Janujaz on loan if that is possible as he has only started four games so far this season.

I agree we don't need another forward, what we need is a younger version of Cole and a really good wide man. That would cost in the region if £15m-£20m for the calibre of players we need plus the associated wages. Ain't going to happen.

We've needed an attacking midfielder for years. Should have bought one instead of Kozak imo. If Lambert has any money to spend in January (or the Summer) it should all go on 1 younger Joe Cole. 

I agree we don't need another forward, what we need is a younger version of Cole and a really good wide man. That would cost in the region if £15m-£20m for the calibre of players we need plus the associated wages. Ain't going to happen.

I agree a young Cole would be a great addition, but in today's market he'd cost £20m+ on his own.

He might be called Jack Grealish anyway ;)

We've needed an attacking midfielder for years. Should have bought one instead of Kozak imo. If Lambert has any money to spend in January (or the Summer) it should all go on 1 younger Joe Cole. 

I think we replace Delph with a more creative player for central midfield but in the summer. 

My stance on Delph is if he doesn't sign a contract we need to sell him in January but warn him he will not be a first team player past end of the January window if he is still here. We do not need to be picking a player with no future here if we have other options available and we're in mid table.

• Like 3

I understand why some think that, personally I don't agree but that's been done to death and can't be changed.

I would just like to see a little more backing for the manager this window than he has received the last two January windows.

• Like 1

I understand why some think that, personally I don't agree but that's been done to death and can't be changed.

I would just like to see a little more backing for the manager this window than he has received the last two January windows.

There's plenty of players who would improve us that could be bought for a lot less than that. The problem is we don't seem to be able to identify them where as other clubs do. Mirallas Naismith Bolaise were all bought in our price range and there's loads more. Hopefully Lambert realises its creativity we need and even if we just get one in it'd make a hell of a difference to us whether it be loan or permanent. If it is a loan I'd hope it's with a view to a permanent move as we need to build properly.

I don't really agree that other clubs seem able to identify them and we can't. There are plenty of fans out there who would probably say the same in reverse about Benteke for example.

Yes Moyes had a good record of spotting talent at Everton I'm not going to disagree there although I'm not sure I agree regarding Naismith.

In terms of Marallas I believe he cost £6m in 2012 so yes he would have been potentially affordable for us then but prices have increased dramatically since then.

I think players of his ability would be more like £8m + now even from abroad unless you get very lucky.

Lambert knows we need a creative player. He's said it time and time again. He's also said most of them want too much money. 

When we played Stoke he mentioned that he tried to sign Tadic last year but he wanted too much.

That's the problem. Its not like the Lambert doesn't realise what we need.

Our only hope is that the scouting network finds a creative player that isn't on another club's wishlist, like when we found Benteke.

Ings is vastly overrated. I'd rather bring Helenius back. We don't need a striker. We need a supply line. We need a younger Joe Cole and someone with pace and can cross a ball.

I would like to see us go for Hakim Ziyech of Twente, he is a similar, younger version of Joe Cole and his assisting and goal return in 18months has been very good indeed.

Would cost around £5million though.

• Like 1

There was a lot more to that than simply being unable to agree a fee or contract terms though.

Narwich hate Lambert and by association us, no doubt they were being arses about it all

That was my take on it too.  Classic case of dog in the manger there.

I would like to see us go for Hakim Ziyech of Twente, he is a similar, younger version of Joe Cole and his assisting and goal return in 18months has been very good indeed.

Would cost around £5million though.

That ship has probably sailed I'm afraid mate. Should've signed him when he was Heerenveen but Twente won't sell him until the summer at least and it won't be for £5m. They hold out for big fees for their best players.

My point being that there's players out there in our price range who would improve us. We seem to only hear about the ones who got away that are too expensive surely if you have £5m to spend you don't look at a £10m player!! Lambert says we need attacking players yet until Cole he's not brought one in. in Jan this this is the only position he should be looking at. I wouldn't make Cleverley permanent if that's all the money we have we need to be more astute in our transfers

My point being that there's players out there in our price range who would improve us. We seem to only hear about the ones who got away that are too expensive surely if you have £5m to spend you don't look at a £10m player!! Lambert says we need attacking players yet until Cole he's not brought one in. in Jan this this is the only position he should be looking at. I wouldn't make Cleverley permanent if that's all the money we have we need to be more astute in our transfers

This isn't football manager though. Lambert probably identifies players through different means, whether it be scouting or agent offers etc. I'm pretty sure there isn't a database out there with all the players in the world and their clubs valuation of them readily available for him to peruse through.

Edited by sexbelowsound

Vikor Fischer would be someone I'd like us to go for. Still only 20 though so Ajax would probably pull our pants down. Although anything over a few quid is considered having your pants pulled down by Randolph.

They definitely would, the impression I get is there's only a few teams in the Ere which let their kids go cheap and most of those guys want to play into their 20's before moving, probably why so many of them do well after leaving.

Then there are those guys in the Ere who get moves late in their career but perhaps could be picked up for a fair price after the youth hype goes away. For example I always thought Toornsta had some good attributes even if he didn't always put it together, feel free to shoot me down I've not watched much Ere this year and don't consider myself someone who knows a superior amount about the league.

I hear Castagnios is off to Derby, that'd be a great move for both parties, I'd love Derby in the Prem.

It wouldn't hurt to look at guys such as El Ghazi (wide player) Ziyech, Qazaishvili (more attacking central players) because they wouldn't cost the earth and give us something a little similar to Cole a decade ago.

I should have just read Isa's post! 

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay