January Transfer Speculation 2015

Supervillan78

•  

21:09

BBC Sport reporter Ben Smith tells us that Rickie Lambert has decided to stay at Liverpool.

Aston Villa, you have 100 minutes and £5m to find a striker. This is like the plot of Brewster's Millions.

•  
Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

I think Lambert could be a good signing, at least he'll show for the ball up top unlike the stationary Benteke. I think him and Weimann would work well together, drop Benteke to give him a kick up the arse and realise he's already at a big club ;-)

Edited by yayoboy

can't believe it.sitting here with crisps,cadbury's boost and kp dried roasted peanuts,stella artois ready for a long night of hopeful signings and there's naff all happening.

You sir, should get out more! In fact, so should I.

• Like 1

He's two and a bit months younger than Joe Cole. I reckon he's got two season left in him, this one and one more. So that's about 18 months. For which we'll pay maybe £8-9m including the fee. That's half a million a month - or £120k a week. I'd take him on a free, but financially this is an appalling signing.

Entirely true. However we paid £24m for Bent and he paid for himself by keeping us up. If we stay up £8m is a no brainer.

In my opinion Bent is the worst signing in the clubs history. I don't want us to repeat that at any level.

It is easy to say Bent kept us up but if we'd paid £8m for a player like Benteke (as in a young player proven in a smaller foreign league) we would have likely stayed up and not given Bent near £10m for sitting on the bench. It was really awful business looking back.

However... I think Lambert would be on less wages, hopefully a short contract and no where near the fee. I don't think it would be too bad and I think a reason it hasn't happened sooner is we're making sure it is a financially sound transfer.

Maybe.

It's easy to say because he did.

I am totally not saying it was the best way to spend the money, I think Bent was an unmitigated disaster long term. short term he was gold.

Right now we need some short term solutions to our goal scoring problem.

• Like 1