Relegation v4.0

BleedClaretAndBlue

Last nights result probably did us a favour with Arsenal dropping 3pts.

They'll need to hump Sunderland to stand any chance of beating Citeh to second spot and will want to keep above ManUre to prevent a further Champs League qualification match!

Yeah The Arse have Man Utd at weekend also so should be the same for the Albion Game to! 

I will laugh my nut sack right off if we finish above Sandwell Town after all the shite they have been spouting all season! 

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

There really was no chance at all we were staying up under Lambert was there. Looking at the results we've had under Sherwood, and the fact that we're still not mathematically safe... Christ we'd have been lucky to be on 30 points now had we kept going the way we were

You never know.

You'd have said the same about Leicester 6 weeks ago and look at them now.

We did have a habit under Lambert of switching it on when it mattered towards the end of the season, and despite ho wbadly we were doing, we weren't as badly off as we were in previous seasons (I don't think)

But having said all that, that was certainly the feeling after the Hull game. I wouldn't be confident we'd have stayed up after that with Lambert here, especially with everyone else's resurgence in recent weeks.

No, just no.  We were down and out under Lambert. Players didn't want to play for him.

Ya if Tim was in for the Hull game we'd be mathematically safe already. 

No, just no.  We were down and out under Lambert. Players didn't want to play for him.

Ya if Tim was in for the Hull game we'd be mathematically safe already. 

Why? Did he get a 3 point bonus for signing on?  :P

yeah. That's what I concluded.

I was just pointing out that it wasn't certain. We've turned it around before, and leicester were in a worse situation and have pulled it out of the bag when it mattered.

Doesn't change the fact that sacking him was absolutely the right thing to do.

• Like 2

I don't think it's fair to say they weren't playing for him, that's not what the vibe was. I think it was more that they liked the guy and were trying their best to make his ideas work. That everyone (I include Lambert here) was maybe losing belief was evident, it was a slow process though and not a particularly black and white situation.

We were gone though regardless had we not sacked Lambert, I thought after Hull it was inevitable and probably too late. Sherwood deserves massive credit for the job he has done since.

• Like 2

No I think he'd lost them by the Hull game.

They were playing for him before that but motivation in general was so low that losing the dressing room was inevitable. I don't think they had any confidence in him or themselves at that point.

• Like 1

So... what are the chances of Villa being safe by next Saturday evening? Let's assume the bookies know what they are talking about and do a bit of maths...

The only matches that matter (as far as this question is concerned) are Southampton v Villa and Spurs v Hull. If Hull get more points than us on Saturday, we will go into the final day with relegation still a possibility (whatever the results in other games). If they don't, we are safe.

Based on the bookies' odds I've seen, the probabilities for those two games are (adjusting slightly to make the probabilities add up to 1):

Soton v Villa: Soton win: 0.54 Draw 0.26 Villa win 0.20

Spurs v Hull; Spurs win: 0.56 Draw 0.24 Hull win 0.20

So, by my reckoning, the probability of Villa being safe from relegation after those games would be:

Probability (Villa win) + Probability (Villa Draw + Hull Draw or Lose) + Probability (Villa Lose + Hull Lose)

= 0.20 + (0.26 x 0.80) + (0.54 x 0.56)

= 0.20 + 0.208 + 0.302

= 0.71

We therefore have (based on the bookies' odds) about a 71% chance of being safe by Saturday evening, and a 29% chance of not being safe (either then or at kick-off on the last day of the season).

Let's hope the more likely thing happens. :)

• Like 1

There really was no chance at all we were staying up under Lambert was there. Looking at the results we've had under Sherwood, and the fact that we're still not mathematically safe... Christ we'd have been lucky to be on 30 points now had we kept going the way we were

none for me, I dont think we would have got another point under Lambert it was that bad

I was just pointing out that it wasn't certain. We've turned it around before, and leicester were in a worse situation and have pulled it out of the bag when it mattered.

The difference being that Leicester hadn't actually been playing that badly.  We were in an absolutely dire run of form without even playing well.

I think we'd have gone down with Lambert still in charge - and I was in favour for keeping him on for as long as possible.  The Hull game was the turning point and the sacking was the correct thing to do (as you say).  I don't think he'd have taken us to more than 34 points.

Also, Hull are down surely?  I just can't see them getting more than a point from Spurs (A) and Man Utd (H).  I guess you never know - and we've had some interesting results in the league lately - but they seem doomed after that Burnley result.

Shame because Newcastle were heading into that bottom 3 faster than... well, anything.

The difference being that Leicester hadn't actually been playing that badly.  We were in an absolutely dire run of form without even playing well.

I think we'd have gone down with Lambert still in charge - and I was in favour for keeping him on for as long as possible.  The Hull game was the turning point and the sacking was the correct thing to do (as you say).  I don't think he'd have taken us to more than 34 points.

I'd agree with all of that.

If we'd stayed up with Lambert, and it's a huge if, then we'd have been much less comfortable than we are now. And we're hardly very comfortable now at all!

The way this run in is going I can easily see Hull getting 4 points from Spurs & Utd.  And despite our form I can't quite shake the feeling that we'll implode some time (the legacy of the last few seasons I guess).

I don't think it's at all likely we'll go down, but there'll be a nagging doubt until it's properly over.  A month ago I thought 35 would be enough to be safe, but to see even Sunderland and Newcastle getting points from nowhere keeps the doubt alive.

Please make it be over on Saturday.

• Like 1