Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

Love a good charity shop rummage.  It is usually a load of old crap, sure (someone somewhere in Basingstoke is slowly unloading the world's largest souvenir didgeridoo collection to the same branch of Naomi House), but the occasional golden nugget makes it worthwhile.  Personal best find is a three-way tie between an unopened 92/93 Villa Subbuteo team, Ray-Ban Aviator Classics (still with the leather case) or a Game Boy Colour in a carry case with 6 games (cost me £20, one of those games alone is worth £50 on eBay).

Also...

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

You would be so lucky.

I'm gorgeous 🥰

Tumble GIF | Gfycat

Edited by GarethRDR

21 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

People who try a pair of trousers on round there necks and think it's cool. 😂

Who said it was cool? It couldn't be less cool

PS it's "their"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Love a good charity shop rummage.  It is usually a load of old crap, sure (someone somewhere in Basingstoke is slowly unloading the world's largest souvenir didgeridoo collection to the same branch of Naomi House), but the occasional golden nugget makes it worthwhile.  Personal best find is a three-way tie between an unopened 92/93 Villa Subbuteo team, Ray-Ban Aviator Classics (still with the leather case) or a Game Boy Colour in a carry case with 6 games (cost me £20, one of those games alone is worth £50 on eBay).

Also...

Tumble GIF | Gfycat

My bow is WAY bigger

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, nick76 said:

Is that to cover the ginger? 😉

No. 

It’s for when I can’t be arsed to fix my beautiful full head of (not even remotely strawberry) blond hair. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, El Zen said:

No. 

It’s for when I can’t be arsed to fix my beautiful full head of (not even remotely strawberry) blond hair. 

I don't have that trouble being bald 😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I discovered a good hack for getting trousers/shorts if you don't like trying stuff on.

Put the waistband of the trousers around your neck, almost like you're putting on a necklace. I don't mean put your head in the trousers, I mean sort of have the waistband closed like how you'd hang them up, and then put that round your neck. So you're effectively putting half the circumference around your neck.

It will fit round your neck the same way the trousers will fit around your waist. i.e. if the trousers don't go round your neck that way, they won't fit your waist. If they easily go round then they're too big

I can't swear it's 100% accurate but I tried with all my stuff at home (I was unpacking after moving so it was convenient) and it worked every time

I'll give it a try later...

0-Andres-Moreno-414375.jpg

• Haha 4

Grudges. I don't really understand how people can stay angry at people across generations. I don't mean the kind of fear and anger that come with incidents such as child abuse or sexual assault or crimes. I mean when people nurse pet hatreds of other people, year in and year out, despite opportunities to clear the air or resolve differences, especially when the source of the grudge is fairly petty or more about hurt pride or just irrational hate. I'm talking about the classic grudge. I'm no saint, and I can hate as much as anyone, but I also think at a certain point, you have some choice in the matter. It's when people consistently choose to hang on to a resentment, even self-destructively, that's what I don't get.

• Like 3

Just now, Marka Ragnos said:

Grudges. I don't really understand how people can stay angry at people across generations. I don't mean the kind of fear and anger that come with incidents such as child abuse or sexual assault or crimes. I mean when people nurse pet hatreds of other people, year in and year out, despite opportunities to clear the air or resolve differences, especially when the source of the grudge is fairly petty or more about hurt pride or just irrational hate. I'm talking about the classic grudge. I'm no saint, and I can hate as much as anyone, but I also think at a certain point, you have some choice in the matter. It's when people consistently choose to hang on to a resentment, even self-destructively, that's what I don't get.

Agreed. My mother was like that, and both my Dad and myself found it inexplicable. 

• Like 2

On 10/07/2023 at 13:46, Stevo985 said:

I discovered a good hack for getting trousers/shorts if you don't like trying stuff on.

Put the waistband of the trousers around your neck, almost like you're putting on a necklace. I don't mean put your head in the trousers, I mean sort of have the waistband closed like how you'd hang them up, and then put that round your neck. So you're effectively putting half the circumference around your neck.

It will fit round your neck the same way the trousers will fit around your waist. i.e. if the trousers don't go round your neck that way, they won't fit your waist. If they easily go round then they're too big

I can't swear it's 100% accurate but I tried with all my stuff at home (I was unpacking after moving so it was convenient) and it worked every time

Edit: here you go, like this

VURTJ.jpg

I can't think of anything I'd like to do less than to go into a charity shop and wrap the crotch of some random strangers used trousers round my neck.  I am not a Tory MP ffs. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I can't think of anything I'd like to do less than to go into a charity shop and wrap the crotch of some random strangers used trousers round my neck.  I am not a Tory MP ffs. 

Nobody said anything about the crotch

38 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Nobody said anything about the crotch

On 10/07/2023 at 13:46, Stevo985 said:

VURTJ.jpg

That crotch is 100% in the sniffing zone. 

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I no longer speak with my one (former) mate. On a semi regular basis he’s an aggressive, argumentative dick when he’s drunk. And when he does get like that I’m often the target.

I’ve fallen out with him before, didn’t really speak to each other for about a year and a half. Reconciled for a few years, he was on relatively good behaviour for a while, but slowly and surely the problems reappeared, culminating in me severing ties with him again.

He’s never going to change. I don’t go out as often I used to so when I do ideally I don’t want to deal with the potential problems he brings with him.

One issue is that while I’m done with him, we have mutual friends who acknowledge the problem but are reluctant to sever ties, so occasionally our paths cross for certain events. Not ideal. 

The only benefit to this somewhat strained dynamic I believe is that when we’re both out and there’s a stilted atmosphere, it has the effect of highlighting the situation. Emphasising the fact that he’s on the naughty step. This I feel works quite well in keeping him in line. He can’t kick off because then that’s further proof of Mark being right all along.

To me your response to this difficult "frenemy" sounds very normal and healthy. That's hard. Sometimes people don't deserve our company, and they must be held at a distance for our own well-being. I feel like teeangers (talking as a dad now) really struggle the most with this kind of stuff and aren't always equipped to make healthy "clean breaks."

• Like 1

On 10/07/2023 at 08:46, Stevo985 said:

VURTJ.jpg

That's interesting. There must be some kind of semi-consistent anatomical ratio at work here? But my big question. Is that you?

Edited by Marka Ragnos

23 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

That's interesting. There must be some kind of semi-consistent anatomical ratio at work here? But my big question. Is that you?

It’s hard to think of someone who looks less like me than that guy 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Unless you're Fisher Stevens.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Grudges. I don't really understand how people can stay angry at people across generations. 

I have to be honest and admit i do bear grudges, especially to my ex wife for doing the dirty on me and mugging me off.....its been over 25 years now since I last saw her but I would still wish every misery on her and cheerfully slap her across the mush with a wet fish if ever I bumped into her. Same for my brother's ex wife.

Former bosses, ex school "friends", some work colleagues of the past.....I am disappointed that I do bear such grudges and am in admiration of those able to let it go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I have to be honest and admit i do bear grudges, especially to my ex wife for doing the dirty on me and mugging me off.....its been over 25 years now since I last saw her but I would still wish every misery on her and cheerfully slap her across the mush with a wet fish if ever I bumped into her. Same for my brother's ex wife.

Former bosses, ex school "friends", some work colleagues of the past.....I am disappointed that I do bear such grudges and am in admiration of those able to let it go.

The following may help to get rid of some anger, in some situations:

"If you tried your best, 25 years ago, but still let someone down, would you think it fair and reasonable that they are still angry with you now?"

I found it a useful way of looking at some situations and relationships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â